The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Defense is difficult and time consuming to fill out which is why it must be done first. 

The Tyler Mottes are a dime a dozen and can fill so many holes. He can almost play every spot ( other than 1 & 2 C) up front in a pinch.

Luke Schenn on the other hand is an extremely effective and important piece on any team, but would get slaughtered pulling in top minutes.

The only D on the TBay two Cups in a row teams tha5 they drafted was Hedman.  They recently acquired all their other D from trades and UFA signings.  They definitely built their forward group first.  We now have fabulous forwards, that’s obvious.  We also have elite goaltending.  That’s obvious too.  Our D, with recent additions, is now a strength too.  We have a Cup parade coming in June 2022!  :towel:

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The only D on the TBay two Cups in a row teams tha5 they drafted was Hedman.  They recently acquired all their other D from trades and UFA signings.  They definitely built their forward group first.  We now have fabulous forwards, that’s obvious.  We also have elite goaltending.  That’s obvious too.  Our D, with recent additions, is now a strength too.  We have a Cup parade coming in June 2022!  :towel:

McDonagh is their Edler and he does his job well.   4-4.5 from back when we were contending is like 6-6.25 now 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I actually think it's not at all easy to find decent UFA d's.   They are prized.   Much easier to find forwards.   But it's also a lot harder to find D's via drafting too.   Why i've been a huge supporter of Myers since day one.   He's going to give us the same exact defense, since the day we got him until his contract is up i'm almost certain of that.   And i'm sure we will miss him when he's gone.  Looks at Trouba lol... or even Dumba who the CDC coveted but has since left alone... Nobody seemed upset of Edlers last deal and Myers isn't much different - he's better at some stuff and and worse at others.   And we have him until Edlers first year of his last deal.   With the costs just going through the roof despite flat cap for blue chip d's ... what we have will have to do. 

Top end d-men maybe. My reasoning is that defencemen take longer to develop in more cases than forwards.  Five of the d-men currently on our roster are from UFA. I would consider them to be "decent".

19 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Defense is difficult and time consuming to fill out which is why it must be done first. 

The Tyler Mottes are a dime a dozen and can fill so many holes. He can almost play every spot ( other than 1 & 2 C) up front in a pinch.

Luke Schenn on the other hand is an extremely effective and important piece on any team, but would get slaughtered pulling in top minutes.

Exactly.  So when a team can acquire a top four D, especially a RHD with size and ability - they should be happy about it (with nothing but cap space)....   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

Top end d-men maybe. My reasoning is that defencemen take longer to develop in more cases than forwards.  Five of the d-men currently on our roster are from UFA. I would consider them to be "decent".

Of course they take longer.   So do goalies.   Price was the last young one to come in and make a real impact.   Why Demko was JB first second rounder.    Also why OJ was drafted with the next high pick after.  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Oh yea totally but traded from a position of strength?

Hosed the Habs haha.

I still think the Canucks D has holes but it's much improved.

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Of course they take longer.   So do goalies.   Price was the last young one to come in and make a real impact.   Why Demko was JB first second rounder.    Also why OJ was drafted with the next high pick after.  

If they take longer, then it's reasonable to assume that more "decent" d-men get to UFA status than forwards. Usually you know what you have in a forward by the time they get to UFA whereas some d-men can still grow. Poolman for example.

There are less goalies and the good ones rarely get to UFA status unsigned.

23 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Just to throw in a thought re drafting Virtanen, McCann and Juolevi. Where would they have been drafted had not Vcr taken them soearly in the selection order. FYG Craig Button listed Virtaneen as a 2nd round pick, The London coach (Hunter) stated Juolevi would be a 2nd pairing D'man, that's not goood for a 5th O/A selection IMO. McCann you may remember was passed by other clubs becuse he had attitude problems. To me they were three poor selections and things only turned around when Brackett earned his spurs. He' brought system and every one thinking in the same terms to the scouting dept. Those picks were a high price to pay IMO, wasted, we should be better than we are

Yes, that corresponding question is who would Jim have taken if Pettersson and Hughes were already taken?

In 2016 it was thought that the Canucks would select Pube Dubois, but Columbus got him first.

the back up plan (apparently) was Juolevi

So it Philly went off the board and took Pettersson or Arizona took Hughes, who would the Canucks have taken next?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

sure but you have to be able to make good trades

McDonough + Miller for 3 late firsts and 2 seconds, in 2018 do we have that to offer?

Cernack for Ben Bishop, same question in 2017

Ruuta for a first from 7 years previous, sounds like Virtanen

Coburn for  first and Gudas in 2015

Sergachev traded for a former 1st in 2017 that was a steal

Bogosian and Petrangello were signed in 2019

Hedman was drafted 11 years before the Cup

So we still do not have a Hedman 

but maybe OEL = McDonough

and Myers = Bogo

Then if Hughes, Rathbone, Hamonic and poolman roughly = Cernak Ruuta and Coburn 

I think we need the ghost of Pat Quinn to turn a fading  3 OA into Serge

then all we need is to have drafted Hedman 8years ago and for Petrangelo to gift himself our way and we are set

46 minutes ago, lmm said:

Yes, that corresponding question is who would Jim have taken if Pettersson and Hughes were already taken?

In 2016 it was thought that the Canucks would select Pube Dubois, but Columbus got him first.

the back up plan (apparently) was Juolevi

So it Philly went off the board and took Pettersson or Arizona took Hughes, who would the Canucks have taken next?

I'm gonna go with:

Sergachyov for Ollie;

Patrick, since Philly has passed on him, for 'Lias;

Bouchard for Hugs.

(JB & Co always pick a different player than my guesses.)

• Cheers 1

On 8/31/2021 at 11:49 AM, IRR said:

Can you let me know what it's like to be perpetually negative, immature and seeking attention on a hockey forum?! Just curious! 

Wow name calling , I have the right 50 years of being a fan, watched reaching just about the top 3 times. Skill goes along way but size on the back end gets the job done. You as fan have a right to have an opinion so do I. 

1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

Van needs to carry 7 D each game (another bigger D man), Play Hughes on the power play and give him some forward min in the right times against 3rd lines . Keep him away from heavy checking forwards .Utilize his skill.

Hughes is a phenom.  He will be riding in car number 1 in the June 2022 Cup celebration parade.