The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, combover said:

Now we like button because he’s saying what you want to hear. Classic.

didn’t get say something a few weeks back and he was a fool.

lol

Maybe he’s going to be a Gm for another nhl team easy pickings from dim Jim 

those are words, but i have no idea what you are trying to parley.

he didn't get to say something? and he's a fool for that?

I'm pretty sure Button is pretty revered around here for his honesty, and his top notch scouting ability.

1 minute ago, combover said:

No the bad contracts don’t come off next year.

and we will have a fresh batch of bad contracts after this summer 

But it’s ok those because 2 years from two years ago and two years from now maybe we will be but only if we don’t run out of time with foundational players 

Im fairly certain JB said he wouldn’t be looking into free agency this year.

Have you not noticed the shift in the way things have been handled over the last 2 seasons? Pretty much 1 year from today we will have all your contracts off the books. As well if this season doesn’t bode well id also imagine a new GM in place as JB would only have one year left on the books. I think that GM would have a lot of cap space to work with wouldn’t you?

Even if I’m wrong about JB not buying this summer. There isn’t a load of cap space. The real load is next year. The new GM can then use JB’s core and surround them with who he deems fit. Maybe the next GM will get the credit for what JB did. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I don’t mind this move. If we get a new GM for next season, there would likely be a bit of tearing down to get their own unique footprint / identity on the team, which could set us back even further. 
I’m hopeful next year will be two feet forward after a step back this season.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

If there's any truth to the amateur slop this media market peddles - and it is him - he's welcome to fly straight home - and stay there.

Wouldn't surprise me to see hacks like Jeff Patterson flip flop and come white knighting to LE's cause.

No hate for LE here either - he simply didn't belong in the lineup, and should probably hang them up - after the 30 million he's made for a combined 38 goals and 90 pts in 5 seasons - does he have any reason to feel hard done by?

The "news" that someone is flying straight home tomorrow is 1 hour old since the Benning announcement.  Media has no access to players this year unless it is in a press conference. How do you suppose this guy got his scoop?

Ya.  This is a scoop.  Lol!

Just made up for effect. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Devron44 said:

Im fairly certain JB said he wouldn’t be looking into free agency this year.

Have you not noticed the shift in the way things have been handled over the last 2 seasons? Pretty much 1 year from today we will have all your contracts off the books. As well if this season doesn’t bode well id also imagine a new GM in place as JB would only have one year left on the books. I think that GM would have a lot of cap space to work with wouldn’t you?

Even if I’m wrong about JB not buying this summer. There isn’t a load of cap space. The real load is next year. The new GM can then use JB’s core and surround them with who he deems fit. Maybe the next GM will get the credit for what JB did. 

Yup - if Jim could just chill with the big free agency signings he would

help himself out a lot.

• Cheers 1