The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Current 2021/2022 lineup

While the roster can use improvement, it can always be worse.  With the amount of dead money on the books for next season (Eriksson, Luongo) and contracts that we are likely not able to get rid of (Rousell, Beagle) I wouldn't be terribly disappointed with starting the season with the team we could ice currently.  We would ice a much younger team, and I'm okay with that.  We aren't looking to contend for a cup next year and the younger players need to get some experience so that in 2-3 years from now they can be relied on in some capacity.

I made a few assumptions creating this lineup.

- I think it will take the reported $15m to sign both Petterson and Hughes.  I arbitrarily split this evenly between them for total costing.

- Podkolzin signs for the ELC max

- Juolevi, Lind, Gadjovic, Bowey sign for their 10% qualifying offers.

- We resign one of Hamonic or Edler to a $2m/season, no defining term.

- Ferland and Beagle stay on LTIR which I think is a reasonable expectation.

- We can't dispose of any dead weight players, and I'm not in favor of giving up picks/prospects to do it at this stage.

- We don't know who Seattle will take in the expansion draft so I included all contracts.

LW $   C $   RW $        
Podkolzin $925,000   Petterson $7,500,000   Boeser $5,875,000 $14,300,000   Extra  
Person $3,250,000   Horvat $5,500,000   Hoglander $891,667 $9,641,667   Roussel $3,000,000
Highmore $725,000   Miller $5,250,000   Virtanen $2,550,000 $8,525,000   Gadjovic $1,000,000
Motte $1,225,000   Lind $1,000,000   MacEwan $825,000 $3,050,000      
                $35,516,667      

LD     RD                
Hughes $7,500,000   Myers $6,000,000       $13,500,000   Extra  
Juolevi $1,000,000   Schmidt $5,950,000       $6,950,000   Hamonic/Edler $2,000,000
Rathbone $925,000   Bowey $1,100,000       $2,025,000      
                $22,475,000   LTIR  
Demko $5,000,000                 Ferland $3,500,000
Holtby $4,300,000                 Beagle $3,000,000
                $9,300,000      

Dead money                    
Eriksson $4,875,000                    
Luongo $3,035,212                    
                $7,910,212      

Total               $81,201,879      

Could this lineup use help? Absolutely.  Can we afford to upgrade?  Not without significant changes that I don't think can be made currently.  Seattle will help by taking a player, and I hope it would be Holtby or Virtanen from a cap perspective, but until that time comes we can't make much of any changes or add salary.

I would be okay going into the season with the lineup above.  One could quibble over who plays where, or change out one rookie for another (ie Gadjovic vs Lockwood) but overall I think it could be a good team development season. 

1 hour ago, clynch said:

While the roster can use improvement, it can always be worse.  With the amount of dead money on the books for next season (Eriksson, Luongo) and contracts that we are likely not able to get rid of (Rousell, Beagle) I wouldn't be terribly disappointed with starting the season with the team we could ice currently.  We would ice a much younger team, and I'm okay with that.  We aren't looking to contend for a cup next year and the younger players need to get some experience so that in 2-3 years from now they can be relied on in some capacity.

- I think it will take the reported $15m to sign both Petterson and Hughes.  I arbitrarily split this evenly between them for total costing.

- We can't dispose of any dead weight players, and I'm not in favor of giving up picks/prospects to do it at this stage.

- We don't know who Seattle will take in the expansion draft so I included all contracts.

LW $   C $   RW $        
Podkolzin $925,000   Petterson $7,500,000   Boeser $5,875,000 $14,300,000   Extra  
Person $3,250,000   Horvat $5,500,000   Hoglander $891,667 $9,641,667   Roussel $3,000,000
Highmore $725,000   Miller $5,250,000   Virtanen $2,550,000 $8,525,000   Gadjovic $1,000,000
                $35,516,667      

LD     RD                
Juolevi $1,000,000   Schmidt $5,950,000       $6,950,000   Hamonic/Edler $2,000,000
                $22,475,000   LTIR  
                $9,300,000      

Dead money                    
Eriksson $4,875,000                    
Luongo $3,035,212                    
                $7,910,212      

Could this lineup use help? Absolutely.  Can we afford to upgrade?  Not without significant changes that I don't think can be made currently.  Seattle will help by taking a player, and I hope it would be Holtby or Virtanen from a cap perspective, but until that time comes we can't make much of any changes or add salary.

I would be okay going into the season with the lineup above.  One could quibble over who plays where, or change out one rookie for another (ie Gadjovic vs Lockwood) but overall I think it could be a good team development season. 

A realistic assessment, however, there's a few things:
1. I think its incredibly unlikely Virtanen is back. Between how bad he played, and the lawsuit, he gets bought out. 
2. Its pretty likely Sutter is back on a team friendly deal. His production was phenomenal while he was healthy - he was on pace for almost 20 goals over a full season.
3. Pretty sure Bowey was brought in to help us hit the expansion draft requirement - if there was any interest in playing him, he would have got ice time by now. 

4. JB says we're 2 years away from contending, which means he needs to put some more pieces in place this year, to give time for the team to gel. FA wants to see some winning too, and revenues will be up with fans back in the stadium, so I expect to see a buyout or two to open up cap space (LE would free up 2m I think). 

5. Beagle was apparently practicing again, so I think he's back to center our fourth line (great news in my opinion). 

If Sutter is back to play 3C, we should have enough $ to acquire a shutdown defenceman. If Holtby gets picked by Seattle, we likely have enough for a 3C upgrade and a shutdown defenceman upgrade. JB needs to see a season with those pieces in place in order to know what to fine tune if we're gonna contend the following year. 

• Cheers 1

Remove from the lineup:

Virtanen - either bought out at a $50,000 cap hit next season, and $500,000 the following, or his contract will be terminated under the Code of Conduct clause in his contract.

Bowey - he is only here to give us someone on defense to expose in the Expansion draft on defense

Holtby - will be gone to Seattle

Eriksson - will be bought out, will still have a cap hit of 4 million for next season and 1 million for the following

Adjust Hughes / Pettersson down to 6.5 million each, using Tkachuk's contract as a guideline, adjusted for the fact that its a flat cap for at least the next 2 years.

Add Lockwood in for the terminated Virtanen

Add Edler or Hamonic takes the place of Bowey on defense

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Remove from the lineup:

Virtanen - either bought out at a $50,000 cap hit next season, and $500,000 the following, or his contract will be terminated under the Code of Conduct clause in his contract.

Bowey - he is only here to give us someone on defense to expose in the Expansion draft on defense

Holtby - will be gone to Seattle

Eriksson - will be bought out, will still have a cap hit of 4 million for next season and 1 million for the following

Adjust Hughes / Pettersson down to 6.5 million each, using Tkachuk's contract as a guideline, adjusted for the fact that its a flat cap for at least the next 2 years.

Add Lockwood in for the terminated Virtanen

Add Edler or Hamonic takes the place of Bowey on defense

I agree completely. With those numbers (especially Holts getting taken by Seattle), we have enough cap room to get a quality 3C and a better shutdown defenceman to partner with Hughes. I'd like Sutter back too on a team friendly deal. Face off beast, good PK'er, terrific secondary scoring numbers. But he's a liability to be injured 50% of the year. 1.5m would be ideal, and if he's injured during the season, put him on LTIR, and free up the space. 
Im actually really excited for next year. 

I would like to see Eriksson bought out, but I don't know if FA or the organization has the stomach for it.  I can't see Virtanen bought out, either he'll have his contract terminated for Code of Conduct.  I would like to see Holtby picked up by Seattle, hopefully this comes to fruition as well.

If all these things came to pass it would give us a good chunk of change for upgrades at center and D.  I'd think we could get a decent backup for $2m, leaving about $4m for other players.  

19 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I agree completely. With those numbers (especially Holts getting taken by Seattle), we have enough cap room to get a quality 3C and a better shutdown defenceman to partner with Hughes. I'd like Sutter back too on a team friendly deal. Face off beast, good PK'er, terrific secondary scoring numbers. But he's a liability to be injured 50% of the year. 1.5m would be ideal, and if he's injured during the season, put him on LTIR, and free up the space. 
Im actually really excited for next year. 

I think Sutter would come back in the 1.75 million range, and I agree, he's still a valuable center and definitely makes our Penalty kill, better

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, clynch said:

I would like to see Eriksson bought out, but I don't know if FA or the organization has the stomach for it.  I can't see Virtanen bought out, either he'll have his contract terminated for Code of Conduct.  I would like to see Holtby picked up by Seattle, hopefully this comes to fruition as well.

If all these things came to pass it would give us a good chunk of change for upgrades at center and D.  I'd think we could get a decent backup for $2m, leaving about $4m for other players.  

Ideal world: Ian clark stays and works on DiPietro to get him ready for backup duty. Only put him in for back to back nights or when Demko really needs a rest. Then we got our backup on a 800k ELC, and maximize how much we can spend shoring up 3C and 1D

My guess for 2021/22

Gone - Boyd, Vesey, Virtanen, Miller, Schmidt, Michaelis, Hawryluk, Spooner $

Re-Signed - Pettersson, Hughes, Edler, Hamonic, Sutter, Graovac, Rafferty, Chatfield

Buy Out - Eriksson

LTIR - Ferland, Beagle

Hoglander - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - _______

Motte - _______ - Podkolzin

Roussel - Sutter - Lind

Lockwood

MacEwen

Hughes - Hamonic

______ - Myers

Edler - Rathbone

Juolevi

Chatfield

Everyone thinks Seattle will take Holtby from us, but what if they take Andersen from Toronto? Campbell is there guy right now and Andersen is a free agent who would probably be interested in signing as a starter with Seattle. The other goalie spots can be backups or younger goalies if Andersen doesn't sign. 

This also depends on which skaters Toronto would have to expose, but I'd grab Andersen before Holtby if I was Seattle.

Edit: There are also other options, like MAF/Lehner from Vegas

Edited by c00kies

22 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

My guess for 2021/22

Gone - Boyd, Vesey, Virtanen, Miller, Schmidt, Michaelis, Hawryluk, Spooner $

Re-Signed - Pettersson, Hughes, Edler, Hamonic, Sutter, Graovac, Rafferty, Chatfield

Buy Out - Eriksson

LTIR - Ferland, Beagle

Hoglander - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - _______

Motte - _______ - Podkolzin

Roussel - Sutter - Lind

Lockwood

MacEwen

Hughes - Hamonic

______ - Myers

Edler - Rathbone

Juolevi

Chatfield

Woah you think Miller is gone? Think we could get a better 2nd line winger than him? I like him b/c he can play wing or center.

I can see Schmidt going and being replaced with a shutdown partner for Rathbone - Rathbone kind of steps into the role as a puck moving offensive defenceman. 

1 hour ago, c00kies said:

Everyone thinks Seattle will take Holtby from us, but what if they take Andersen from Toronto? Campbell is there guy right now and Andersen is a free agent who would probably be interested in signing as a starter with Seattle. The other goalie spots can be backups or younger goalies if Andersen doesn't sign. 

This also depends on which skaters Toronto would have to expose, but I'd grab Andersen before Holtby if I was Seattle.

The reason why I think they will take Holtby is not because he's the best goalie available (he's not) but because we are able to protect all of our assets.

Players available for Seattle: Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, Ferland, Jasek, Palmu, Hawrlyuk, Virtanen, MacEwan, Bailey and 2 out of Lind, Highmore, Gadjovich

Defense: Bowey, Brisebois (rest are UFAs)

I mean there is just nothing really on the table except for Holtby. Or would they take Highmore or Gadjovich or Brisebois? I'm sure Vegas and Toronto have

to expose a forward or dman with more value than Highmore, Brisebois..

EDIT: Protected: Miller, Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Motte, Pearson, (Lind?), Myers, Schmidt, Juolevi, Demko

Exempt: Hughes, Podkolzin, Höglander, Rathbone, DiPietro, Tryamkin..

EDIT AGAIN: I think Vegas as a whole team is exempt from the expansion 

Edited by Nathancanuck

1 hour ago, c00kies said:

MAF/Lehner aren't options, b/c Vegas is exempt.

Freddy Andersen is a UFA this year -so odds of him being taken through the expansion draft are very slim. His numbers are also comparable this year to Holts, and Holts comes with a lower cap hit. Seattle needs to select 3 goalies from the ED i think. 

Edited by eeeeergh

2 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

A realistic assessment, however, there's a few things:
1. I think its incredibly unlikely Virtanen is back. Between how bad he played, and the lawsuit, he gets bought out. 
2. Its pretty likely Sutter is back on a team friendly deal. His production was phenomenal while he was healthy - he was on pace for almost 20 goals over a full season.
3. Pretty sure Bowey was brought in to help us hit the expansion draft requirement - if there was any interest in playing him, he would have got ice time by now. 

4. JB says we're 2 years away from contending, which means he needs to put some more pieces in place this year, to give time for the team to gel. FA wants to see some winning too, and revenues will be up with fans back in the stadium, so I expect to see a buyout or two to open up cap space (LE would free up 2m I think). 

5. Beagle was apparently practicing again, so I think he's back to center our fourth line (great news in my opinion). 

If Sutter is back to play 3C, we should have enough $ to acquire a shutdown defenceman. If Holtby gets picked by Seattle, we likely have enough for a 3C upgrade and a shutdown defenceman upgrade. JB needs to see a season with those pieces in place in order to know what to fine tune if we're gonna contend the following year. 

1. If Virtanen is found guilty, he should qualify for contract termination. No buy out needed.

2. In my opinion, if Sutter is re-signed, it will be because Benning couldn't find anyone else foolish enough to sign here.

3. This may be true but, if he does make it through the ED without being picked up, he is still under contract until 22-23 and could, very well be on our blueline next season..

4. With players rumored to be asking for trades this offseason, I find it hard to believe Benning's 2 year timeline to be realistic. The only thing I like about his statement is that it puts a timeline on his tenure. Succeed or be gone. Of course FA would probably consider an eighth place team as being a contender, and the real is that we spend the next 9 years as a bottom feeding playoff team, which is where the Canucks have spent most of their existence. 60 years without a cup anyone?

5. Who cares?

I believe The Acquilinis and Jim Benning have created a tire fire in Vancouver, much reminiscent of the Maple Leafs of the md 2000s. We may be ahead of the Buffalo Sabres but it's not by much and that could change by the time JBs self imposed timeline is up.

Right now I look at this Ownership/management group as weak and incompetent. Ownership doesn'tg appear to care about it's fanbase and the manager often looks like a deer caught in the headlights. 

For a manager to ask for players to wait and for ownership to be ok with that is egregious, offensive, and unprofessional.

Season ticket holders are refusing to renew their tickets and this is seeming to have little impact on ownership. 

It really is becoming a joke.

I've been a Canuck fan since I was old enough to understand hockey (45 years). There have been a lot of trying times with this team but nothing like I've witnessed this year. 

I really hate to say this but, I am really having problems supporting this team. 

1 minute ago, komodo0921 said:

1. If Virtanen is found guilty, he should qualify for contract termination. No buy out needed.

2. In my opinion, if Sutter is re-signed, it will be because Benning couldn't find anyone else foolish enough to sign here.

3. This may be true but, if he does make it through the ED without being picked up, he is still under contract until 22-23 and could, very well be on our blueline next season..

4. With players rumored to be asking for trades this offseason, I find it hard to believe Benning's 2 year timeline to be realistic. The only thing I like about his statement is that it puts a timeline on his tenure. Succeed or be gone. Of course FA would probably consider an eighth place team as being a contender, and the real is that we spend the next 9 years as a bottom feeding playoff team, which is where the Canucks have spent most of their existence. 60 years without a cup anyone?

5. Who cares?

I believe The Acquilinis and Jim Benning have created a tire fire in Vancouver, much reminiscent of the Maple Leafs of the md 2000s. We may be ahead of the Buffalo Sabres but it's not by much and that could change by the time JBs self imposed timeline is up.

Right now I look at this Ownership/management group as weak and incompetent. Ownership doesn'tg appear to care about it's fanbase and the manager often looks like a deer caught in the headlights. 

For a manager to ask for players to wait and for ownership to be ok with that is egregious, offensive, and unprofessional.

Season ticket holders are refusing to renew their tickets and this is seeming to have little impact on ownership. 

It really is becoming a joke.

I've been a Canuck fan since I was old enough to understand hockey (45 years). There have been a lot of trying times with this team but nothing like I've witnessed this year. 

I really hate to say this but, I am really having problems supporting this team. 

I mean.. yeah the season sucked but I'm pretty excited about our core. We've got great guys on reasonable to below market contracts. We've got multiple gamebreaker/franchise players just getting started. We've got high level talent that's playing on their ELCs. And we've got a ton of cap room opening up after next season. 
We're gonna have a good year next year fam, and a great year the season after that. 
BB - below market value
BH - at market value
EP - will be signed on a reasonable bridge deal
QH - reasonable bridge deal
JM - at/below market value
Boner, Hogs, Pods, Olli all on cheap ELCs. 
Good draft position to get an impact player who'll be able to step into our lineup in the next season or two as well. 
We're gonna have lots of money to upgrade and build around these guys. We were playing AHL'ers for our 3rd and 4th line this year, and a ton of inexperience on Defence. 

5 hours ago, clynch said:

LW $   C $   RW $        
                $35,516,667      

LD     RD                
                $22,475,000   LTIR  
                $9,300,000      

Dead money                    
Eriksson $4,875,000                    
Luongo $3,035,212                    
                $7,910,212      

My predictions for next seasons lineup.

Hoglander               Pettersson               Boeser

Pearson                  Horvat                      Podkolzin

Hughes              Myers

Rathbone

Juolevi

Demko

That is all I'm confident in predicting for next season

It's rumored that there are players in the lineup who want to be traded. I believe Miller, Schmidt, and Holtby are three of them 

Apart from Rathbone, I don't know that any of our other prospects are ready (maybe Gadjovich).

At the end of the day, I have no idea what's going to happen for next season.

8 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I mean.. yeah the season sucked but I'm pretty excited about our core. We've got great guys on reasonable to below market contracts. We've got multiple gamebreaker/franchise players just getting started. We've got high level talent that's playing on their ELCs. And we've got a ton of cap room opening up after next season. 
We're gonna have a good year next year fam, and a great year the season after that. 
BB - below market value
BH - at market value
EP - will be signed on a reasonable bridge deal
QH - reasonable bridge deal
JM - at/below market value
Boner, Hogs, Pods, Olli all on cheap ELCs. 
Good draft position to get an impact player who'll be able to step into our lineup in the next season or two as well. 
We're gonna have lots of money to upgrade and build around these guys. We were playing AHL'ers for our 3rd and 4th line this year, and a ton of inexperience on Defence. 

I don't know, maybe I'm just boo hooing after a crappy season.

One thing's for sure. This offseason will be very interesting.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

MAF/Lehner aren't options, b/c Vegas is exempt.

Freddy Andersen is a UFA this year -so odds of him being taken through the expansion draft are very slim. His numbers are also comparable this year to Holts, and Holts comes with a lower cap hit. Seattle needs to select 3 goalies from the ED i think. 

All of the below goalies are options for Seattle (some are UFA or a likely unprotected RFA) but if a deal is struck with a free agent then this player counts as the player selected from their team.

I would imagine each of these goalies could be signed for less than the $5.7m salary Holtby is owed. I certainly wouldn’t select Holtby if I was Seattle GM.

Raanta

Rask

Halak

Ullmark

Reimer

Grubauer

Oettinger

Bernier

Stalock

Driedger

Petersen

Allen

Wedgewood

Shesterkin

Forsberg

Elliot

DeSmith

F Andersen

Vanecek

Brossoit

I am in favour of a shakeup to secure Hughes’ long term RHD partner and a 3C.

I have proposed this elsewhere...

To VAN: Jones + Jenner

To CBJ: Miller + Schmidt + 2021 2nd pick 

Buyout Eriksson + Virtanen

Sign UFAs Coleman, Granlund, Hamonic

If Beagle is on LTIR then resign Sutter for $2m, 1 year

Protect: EP, BH, BB, Jenner, Pearson, Motte, Lind, Jones, Juolevi, Myers, Demko

Probably lose Gadjovich to Seattle

Roster:

Coleman Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Granlund

Pearson Jenner Podkolzin

Highmore Beagle Motte

(Macewen)

Hughes Jones

Juolevi Myers

Rathbone Hamonic

(Brisebois)

Demko, Holtby

Here’s what I see and would like to see:

Höglander - Pettersson - Boeser

Miller - Horvat - trade/fa

Pearson - fa - Podkolzin

Motte - Graovac - MacEwen

Hughes - trade/fa/Hamonic

Juolevi - Schmidt

Rathbone - Myers

Demko

Holtby/DiPietro

A couple of pieces added via trade/free agency and having a competent coaching staff should be more than enough to get back on track next year. 

Edited by Pears