The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Now Official - Canucks Lottery pick from 9th position

Rate this topic

grandmaster

6 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

if we really need a elite goalie we can draft one in 2-3  yrs  theres nothing saying demko doesnt resign in 5 yrs id rather that elite right hand dman to help solidify our dcore msybd we move up to 1st or 2nd id oove power or clarke or hughes 

true, its all a crap shoot. But at 9-11 in most rankings he's BPA or within a spot, so its not off the board if you're going BPA over need. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

off the board? he's been ranked top 10 in nearly all the draft sites. 

26 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Then we have 3 trade chips in a position of strength. 

The problem, when comparing the value of a top ten pick, is that goaltenders never receive commensurate return in a trade. I’d say it’s the position that is toughest to move in deals. I would expect to get a lot more back if I was trading an ex top ten d man, for instance. If a team is lucky enough to be 3 deep at goalie which of the three is likely to be dealt? The guy with 12 nhl starts and 3 years in the minors? Tough to move a high first round but stalled/failed tender. Teams are much more willing to take on a project position player.

Just now, zimmy said:

The problem, when comparing the value of a top ten pick, is that goaltenders never receive commensurate return in a trade. I’d say it’s the position that is toughest to move in deals. I would expect to get a lot more back if I was trading an ex top ten d man, for instance. If a team is lucky enough to be 3 deep at goalie which of the three is likely to be dealt? The guy with 12 nhl starts and 3 years in the minors? Tough to move a high first round but stalled/failed tender. Teams are much more willing to take on a project position player.

Depends on the team you’re dealing with, but it gives us a chance to deal from a position of strength regardless. 

No different than drafting Johnson gives us a position of strength down the middle. 

23 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

if we really need a elite goalie we can draft one in 2-3  yrs  theres nothing saying demko doesnt resign in 5 yrs id rather that elite right hand dman to help solidify our dcore msybd we move up to 1st or 2nd id oove power or clarke or hughes 

And, chances are he'd be more willing to re-sign here with an elite (or at least, a pretty darn good) right side d-man on the team.

regards,  G.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Depends on the team you’re dealing with, but it gives us a chance to deal from a position of strength regardless. 

No different than drafting Johnson gives us a position of strength down the middle. 

More value in that center,in my opinion, though. Takes longer to groom goalies or see potential in goalies and therefore, as an early first round commodity, I’ll take a position player every time unless I am in absolute dire need between the pipes. I’m getting more back if I’m dealing.

1 minute ago, zimmy said:

More value in that center,in my opinion, though. Takes longer to groom goalies or see potential in goalies and therefore, as an early first round commodity, I’ll take a position player every time unless I am in absolute dire need between the pipes. I’m getting more back if I’m dealing.

Most of the time yes but Wallstedt is a legit stud too though

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if the Sportsnet Ranking is accurate, its possible Hughes could fall to us as well: https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/sportsnets-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-may-edition/

I wouldn't mind Eklund, but I do think D should be the priority.  I prefer not to take Hughes, but he might be the best available at that spot

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

The Canucks have drafted 9th overall three times in team history and drafted the following players:

1973: Bob Dailey

1983: Cam Neely

2013: Bo Horvat

All good picks, so let's hope the trend continues, assuming we do pick 9th.

Hopefully we find another Sea Bass type player if picking 9th 

AptPoorDassie.webp

Edited by AlwaysACanuckFan

13 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

Excited to get another top 10 pick this year. Moving up is just a cherry on top if it were to happen. Who’s projected to go at our pick?

Far too open to predict sadly but quality options throughout the top 10

I really like our draft position to be honest. JB has proven he can find diamonds in very heavily scouted drafts and with how wide open this year is, I think the chance of us getting another franchise altering player is very high. We are already foaming at the mouth waiting for Podkolzin to come over, imagine if we have even more big time prospects on the way when our competitive window arrives.

45 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wonder if they'll be looking at Svechkov too?

Probably not.  He's signed for another 2 years with SKA.  So will be available 22/23.  Kinda like how we had to wait on Podz (still needs to be signed ASAP).  Not sure if the JB wants to wait that long for another top prospect to join the big club.

But I wouldn't mind.  It would hopefully signal that the Canucks are building through the draft.  No shortcuts.

• Cheers 1