Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Now Official - Canucks Lottery pick from 9th position

Rate this topic


grandmaster

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, zimmy said:

 

The problem, when comparing the value of a top ten pick, is that goaltenders never receive commensurate return in a trade. I’d say it’s the position that is toughest to move in deals. I would expect to get a lot more back if I was trading an ex top ten d man, for instance. If a team is lucky enough to be 3 deep at goalie which of the three is likely to be dealt? The guy with 12 nhl starts and 3 years in the minors? Tough to move a high first round but stalled/failed tender. Teams are much more willing to take on a project position player.

thats true, its really tough to move a goalie early, and if they work out you tend to want to keep them. I certainly wouldn't over reach to get him if we were picking top 5, e.g., but if Clarke, Hughes and Johnson e.g, are gone by 10 or 11 and Wallstedt is there I'd grab him up for the potential to have great goaltending for many years. 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Trade our first for Cernak out of Tampa .

We'd have to be sure we the cap space after signing Petey, Huggy, and Juolevi though... Really hope Loui just up and retires/agrees to mutual termination. Maybe JV gets his contract terminated for his shenanigans, Roussel buyout? Beags and Ferland possibly finish their careers on LTIR...

 

Then there's the ED... Tampa stands to lose a decent d-man if they choose to go the 7/3/1 protection list, with Hedman auto protected, and I would assume Sergachev... which means a decision on protecting Cernak or Foote, unless they strike a deal with Seattle to take McDonagh or Rutta. I think they go with the 8/1 option though.

 

But what if we win the 1st or 2nd OA pick? Do we use it, or flip it  for Cernak + '22 1st (+)? They're in their own little cap bind as well, so that could be a useful tradeoff for both teams. They get a top prospect on an ELC, and gain a bit of cap space, we fill a hole in our RD with a ready player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For everyone who says we should trade this pick:

 

You're nuts. We need this pick SO badly after trading our 2020 1st. 

 

Kent Johnson, Brandt Clarke, Carson Lambos, Corson Ceulemans or Cole Sillinger would all be fine picks. Johnson and Clarke are the two that I'd really be enthusiastic about and then we can pick another defender in the second round. If Benning is as good in this draft as he's been previously, we'll pick at least 2 NHL players this year. The fact that he can deliver this is very important and is probably the reason why ownership decided to keep him for one more year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

For everyone who says we should trade this pick:

 

You're nuts. We need this pick SO badly after trading our 2020 1st. 

 

Kent Johnson, Brandt Clarke, Carson Lambos, Corson Ceulemans or Cole Sillinger would all be fine picks. Johnson and Clarke are the two that I'd really be enthusiastic about and then we can pick another defender in the second round. If Benning is as good in this draft as he's been previously, we'll pick at least 2 NHL players this year. The fact that he can deliver this is very important and is probably the reason why ownership decided to keep him for one more year. 

Agreed. Benning at the draft table is absolute money.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Trade our first for Cernak out of Tampa .

Brisebois says he has never considered trading Cernak, Sergachev or Cirelli.  Talked of how they are just scratching the surface and how they need them if they want to win another Cup.

 

Tampa’s window is now.   They have traded high picks to get Coleman/Goodrow - ie players that can help them win now.  Draft picks have little value to them as they are unlikely to be able to replicate Cernak’s impact before a few years. 

 

They are in cap trouble and are expected to use the expansion draft as opportunity to make a deal with Seattle to move cap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

For everyone who says we should trade this pick:

 

You're nuts. We need this pick SO badly after trading our 2020 1st. 

 

Kent Johnson, Brandt Clarke, Carson Lambos, Corson Ceulemans or Cole Sillinger would all be fine picks. Johnson and Clarke are the two that I'd really be enthusiastic about and then we can pick another defender in the second round. If Benning is as good in this draft as he's been previously, we'll pick at least 2 NHL players this year. The fact that he can deliver this is very important and is probably the reason why ownership decided to keep him for one more year. 

I wouldn't say it's nuts. None of those players are head and shoulders above Chibrikov, Robertsson, Svechkov, or Chayka and some you listed are probably available still if we trade back into the 15-22 range and pick up a piece we need from a cash strapped team to do so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FlyLow_ said:

I wouldn't say it's nuts. None of those players are head and shoulders above Chibrikov, Robertsson, Svechkov, or Chayka and some you listed are probably available still if we trade back into the 15-22 range and pick up a piece we need from a cash strapped team to do so.

I'm not disputing that I just mean people who say we shouldn't pick at all, which is nuts. 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s a tricky one, we need rhd and typically d are not plug and play from the draft, so even if we pick a great player they are likely at this stage to become a core piece a few years down the line probably when we retool after current cores push. 
 

if we can trade said pick for a youngish top end RHD, it’s a consideration as it helps us not as a rental but a longer term option.

 

however if things go to plan this is likely to be the lowest we draft in a long while so we don’t want to end up in a Gillis situation of having a team built up and then have nothing left in the pipeline to retool. 
 

having written that I’m of the view of keep the pick. If we trade it I hope that management does a good job in a few years of trading out ageing players for good prospects 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Because of cap issues I rather nucks have a top 5 D prospect(who usually they are some sort of NHL ready) than a NHL player on a full contract especially with Benning`s record of resigning NHL players to hefty contracts.

I trust Benning with drafting more than dealing with existing NHL players.sorry not sorry.

Just draft and develop, if Benning sucks fire Benning but stick to the plan.

PS. I acknowledge what a bad situation Benning had when he came to nucks(credits to Gillis for ruining the team`s prospect pool), But He signs bad contracts for bottom-six players.I appreciate what he has done in drafts though.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, mll said:

Brisebois says he has never considered trading Cernak, Sergachev or Cirelli.  Talked of how they are just scratching the surface and how they need them if they want to win another Cup.

 

Tampa’s window is now.   They have traded high picks to get Coleman/Goodrow - ie players that can help them win now.  Draft picks have little value to them as they are unlikely to be able to replicate Cernak’s impact before a few years. 

 

They are in cap trouble and are expected to use the expansion draft as opportunity to make a deal with Seattle to move cap.

I'm sure they'll make a deal with SEA for them to take local boy Johnson.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BENN said:

Because of cap issues I rather nucks have a top 5 D prospect(who usually they are some sort of NHL ready) than a NHL player on a full contract especially with Benning`s record of resigning NHL players to hefty contracts.

I trust Benning with drafting more than dealing with existing NHL players.sorry not sorry.

Just draft and develop, if Benning sucks fire Benning but stick to the plan.

PS. I acknowledge what a bad situation Benning had when he came to nucks(credits to Gillis for ruining the team`s prospect pool), But He signs bad contracts for bottom-six players.I appreciate what he has done in drafts though.

The problem by either ownership's meddling or Jim Benning being inept but it's obvious they don't have a plan and that is evident in 7 years and only one year of making the playoffs without needing a play in round. They are also cap strapped when they have no roster player with more then a $6 million cap hit and gave all those bottom 6 players 4 year contracts at twice what they would have got any where else.

 

Also this is why Linden left or was pushed out because he was trying to make the front office more efficient by having the head amateur scout pretty much run the draft and you can see that on the Canucks youtube channel with the behind the scenes of past drafts where Judd Brackett was telling JB who to draft and about trading up and down to target a player. Brackett was let go because JB thought he was not as involved in the draft process in drafting players as he thought he should have been as GM. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats true, its really tough to move a goalie early, and if they work out you tend to want to keep them. I certainly wouldn't over reach to get him if we were picking top 5, e.g., but if Clarke, Hughes and Johnson e.g, are gone by 10 or 11 and Wallstedt is there I'd grab him up for the potential to have great goaltending for many years. 

People shouldn't be sleeping on eklund, I think this kid is going to be a star.  Plays just like Hogs, but better.  

 

As I've said I also like Svechkov.

 

Wallstedt is going to be great, but id never pick a goalie in the top 10 unless it's a weak draft in other areas or that goalie is a can't miss franchise goalie.  Ultimately, I don't tye net is an area of weakness for the org.

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...