The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Now Official - Canucks Lottery pick from 9th position

Rate this topic

grandmaster

3 hours ago, stawns said:

People shouldn't be sleeping on eklund, I think this kid is going to be a star.  Plays just like Hogs, but better.  

As I've said I also like Svechkov.

Wallstedt is going to be great, but id never pick a goalie in the top 10 unless it's a weak draft in other areas or that goalie is a can't miss franchise goalie.  Ultimately, I don't tye net is an area of weakness for the org.

those are good points. Part of my like of Wallstedt is admittedly due to data, we just simply have more info on him so I see him as less risky.

I like a number of players at 9-11 so I really don't see a bad pick. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

those are good points. Part of my like of Wallstedt is admittedly due to data, we just simply have more info on him so I see him as less risky.

I like a number of players at 9-11 so I really don't see a bad pick. 

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a fantastic goalie and will likely have a rapid rise to success in the NHL.  But Demko is still young and growing, Dipietro is probably ready for back up duty and Silovs looks like he might grow into a solid young goalie too.  If Wallstedt were there at 41, hell yes, at 9 I think I pass.........if would definitely give me pause for thought though, he's that good.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a fantastic goalie and will likely have a rapid rise to success in the NHL.  But Demko is still young and growing, Dipietro is probably ready for back up duty and Silovs looks like he might grow into a solid young goalie too.  If Wallstedt were there at 41, hell yes, at 9 I think I pass.........if would definitely give me pause for thought though, he's that good.

if he ends up going to Calgary I'll need a hug. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

The problem by either ownership's meddling or Jim Benning being inept but it's obvious they don't have a plan and that is evident in 7 years and only one year of making the playoffs without needing a play in round. They are also cap strapped when they have no roster player with more then a $6 million cap hit and gave all those bottom 6 players 4 year contracts at twice what they would have got any where else.

Also this is why Linden left or was pushed out because he was trying to make the front office more efficient by having the head amateur scout pretty much run the draft and you can see that on the Canucks youtube channel with the behind the scenes of past drafts where Judd Brackett was telling JB who to draft and about trading up and down to target a player. Brackett was let go because JB thought he was not as involved in the draft process in drafting players as he thought he should have been as GM. 

You are one of the only posts that hit the nail on the head. I do not think JB is as incompetent as he has shown with managing the salary cap but was handcuffed by ownership and forced to make those bone head moves like the Eriksson and Beagle signings because ownership thought the Canucks were only one player from being a contender, instead of biting the bullet and going with a full rebuild.  As long as JB is going to be ownership's yes man, I do not see any major changes. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

The problem by either ownership's meddling or Jim Benning being inept but it's obvious they don't have a plan and that is evident in 7 years and only one year of making the playoffs without needing a play in round. They are also cap strapped when they have no roster player with more then a $6 million cap hit and gave all those bottom 6 players 4 year contracts at twice what they would have got any where else.

Also this is why Linden left or was pushed out because he was trying to make the front office more efficient by having the head amateur scout pretty much run the draft and you can see that on the Canucks youtube channel with the behind the scenes of past drafts where Judd Brackett was telling JB who to draft and about trading up and down to target a player. Brackett was let go because JB thought he was not as involved in the draft process in drafting players as he thought he should have been as GM. 

So Brackett drafted Juolevi over Tkachuk?

When draft is good it is Brackett pick, when bad it is Benning?

I like Juolevi btw.it was just a question.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, BENN said:

Brackett was promoted in time for the Boeser pick and yes it was a screw up in 2016 IMO. It looked like thye drafted by position when they took Juolevi. Only two people know for sure JB and JB   :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BENN said:

No Linden changed how the organization in 2016-2017 season where departments like scouting and player development had more autonomy and that is what got him and Brackett let go. 

I mean you can compare the drafts the type of player the Canucks were drafting from 2016-2017 were different then before and specially in the later rounds. I mean that 2017 draft now has the first 5 picks all have played for the Canucks in 4 years and it looks like 3 of the picks are game changers in Petey, Dipietro and Rathbone. I mean Brackett's drafting resume speaks for him and watch he is going to hit out of the park this draft with the Wild. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BenSurgeon said:

You are one of the only posts that hit the nail on the head. I do not think JB is as incompetent as he has shown with managing the salary cap but was handcuffed by ownership and forced to make those bone head moves like the Eriksson and Beagle signings because ownership thought the Canucks were only one player from being a contender, instead of biting the bullet and going with a full rebuild.  As long as JB is going to be ownership's yes man, I do not see any major changes. 

Imo, the one factor, most posters seems to missed is how the season ticket holders are affecting Aquaman decisions when it comes to how he runs the teams - from the outside, it seems he values there input and there seems to be no appetite with that fan base when it comes to tanking or doing a full rebuild.  Signing FA(s) to fill the roster (like in the Gillis era) is a known & accepted process as we had seen during Gillis’ tenure but a full rebuild/tanking has a bad stigma to it - in this market.  Ofcourse, there is the Edm or Buffalo examples of the failures of tanking but there are also a number of teams that had been successful with the tanking strategy and has won the Stanley cup:  Chi, TB and Pits (to name a few).  My point, some teams & there fan base are more accepting & understanding of the tanking or rebuilding strategy in a losing season and this market are not as accepting - losing culture.  Perhaps being so closed to EDM has somewhat given this fanbased a one sided view of the strategy ?  

Despite having one of the worst record since 2014 - with Aquaman always spending to the cap and JB not drafting higher than fifth - the yearly results has been so underwhelming

B50CC819-408F-4A70-A5D1-54C6514C79FA.png

Edited by ShawnAntoski

On 5/21/2021 at 1:55 PM, BENN said:

Brackett was not head of amateur scouting for the Virtanen or McCann picks. He was promoted i think just after the Boeser draft. So Juolevi, Petey, Hughes, Podkolzin were 1st rounders during his tenure as head of amateur scouting.

It was widely reported at the time that Benning insisted on Juolevi though. So Virtanen, McCann, Boeser and Juolevi were Bennings picks. Petey, Hughes, Podkolzin were on Brackett's watch.

Look at the other drafting in those rounds though. Hard for anyone to suggest Brackett wasnt a significant part of the drafting success.

And the Canucks drafted Boeser, Demko, Lockwood, Gaudette, and Madden ftom his scouting area, the USHL/East.

Screenshot_20210524-001055_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210524-001102_Chrome.jpg

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Like 2

On 5/21/2021 at 1:58 PM, BENN said:

Just imagine Wallstedt as nucks first round pick,fanbase will make him cry with every mistake he makes.

Watched Wallsted a few times and he reminds me of Markie or at best Loungo - very talented goalie with the physical attributes but he seems to be missing the mental fortitude to be a championship goalie - MAF.  Perhaps like Loungo (lots of hype) a great regular season goalie but not a champion; although, he will probably still get into the HOF, due mainly (perhaps) to his off ice reputation ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Watched Wallsted a few times and he reminds me of Markie or at best Loungo - very talented goalie with the physical attributes but he seems to be missing the mental fortitude to be a championship goalie - MAF.  Perhaps like Loungo (lots of hype) a great regular season goalie but not a champion; although, he will probably still get into the HOF, due mainly (perhaps) to his off ice reputation ?

Uh Fleury has won championships.  

You dont know what Wallsted is capable of mentally... hes 18.

4 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Uh Fleury has won championships.  

You dont know what Wallsted is capable of mentally... hes 18.

Just my impression after watching a few games and the WJC - he is still very young but he wasn't a difference maker in that very talented Swedish team but he is still eligible for the tourney and hope he improves.   Ofcoirse, nobody knows the future and I hope he fulfills the hype of being a future franchise goalie cause everything is in place for him.

Still when a team drafts a goalie high in draft I remeber Rick Dipietro, too much risk.

If all goes well and he becomes as elite as Price, his team needs both Crosby and Malkin to win it and you can win the cup with great goalies late in the drafts.

Demko is fine and enough.

9 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I can't even get excited about this pick because my hunch says it's getting traded.

it might.

because of lack of scouting in this draft, it is such a high risk draft,gonna be big hits or big misses here in this draft.

I would still make the selection though but JB might trade it for a Miller, Hope he does not and draft a D.