The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Now Official - Canucks Lottery pick from 9th position

Rate this topic

grandmaster

1 hour ago, awalk said:

Who was the director of scouting before Brackett? 

Was it still Delorme? 

Eric Crawford - he was fired at the same time as Henning, Gillman.  Delorme was already demoted under Gillis but retained his title.

Brackett reported to Weisbrod per the press release announcing his promotion to head amateur scout.

Edited by mll
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Benning deserves full credit for promoting Brackett and listening to him.

Definitely. My point was going to be that you can't pin any picks on one scout, even the dir. of scouting. It's ultimately the GM making the call but seems very collaborative up until that point. 

1 hour ago, mll said:

Eric Crawford - he was fired at the same time as Henning, Gillman.  Delorme was already demoted under Gillis but retained his title.

Brackett reported to Weisbrod per the press release announcing his promotion to head amateur scout.

Thats what I thought but Looking at Crawfords employment record it didn't seem to match that time line... did he get let go and then re hired for about a year or so? 

JB promoted and directed Brackett to look for skilled players. He deserves credit for recognizing talent on his team and promoting him to a higher position. 

But Brackett was a good talent and earned the promotion. After being promoted he did a great job finding and drafting talented players.

As an example it's like EP being a top line player. He was promoted to 1st line but only because he deserves it and performs well in his position. 

We may or may not have another guy with Bracketts capabilities to promote. Only time and performance will tell. 

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

JB promoted and directed Brackett to look for skilled players. He deserves credit for recognizing talent on his team and promoting him to a higher position. 

But Brackett was a good talent and earned the promotion. After being promoted he did a great job finding and drafting talented players.

As an example it's like EP being a top line player. He was promoted to 1st line but only because he deserves it and performs well in his position. 

We may or may not have another guy with Bracketts capabilities to promote. Only time and performance will tell. 

Brackett definitely a huge loss. Has there been any player after Brackett's leaving where a player has made a huge difference? 

3 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

For the canucks pick barring a d man falling, I can see us grabbing a center, mctavish or kent johnson to have a really strong corps down the middle 

wouldn't be opposed to Kent Johnson. But I'm scared after drafting Virtanen....

How's Johnson's work ethic compared to Jake's? If it's hundreds of miles ahead of Virtanen, I'd feel a little more at ease. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

How's Johnson's work ethic compared to Jake's? If it's hundreds of miles ahead of Virtanen, I'd feel a little more at ease. 

What similarities are there to Virtanen that scares you?

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

No, he never was the guy. He is more like one of the guy. Guess he is in charge of Sweden if nothing else. 

He's definitely been our lead scout in Scandanavia and I think Europe. But I guess no director of scouting.

On 5/19/2021 at 4:49 PM, Gollumpus said:

True, but for some here the poor kid will never lose the stigma of "only being a 9th OA pick".

regards,  G.

Like Horvat...?

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Like Horvat...?

Sadly, it's true. I've noticed on different sites people doing an "LOL" when Horvat's name is mentioned. The usual comment is along the lines of, "The Canucks will never win the Cup with a guy who was a 9th OA pick...". 

It saddens me deeply. :(

regards,  G.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Sadly, it's true. I've noticed on different sites people doing an "LOL" when Horvat's name is mentioned. The usual comment is along the lines of, "The Canucks will never win the Cup with a guy who was a 9th OA pick...". 

It saddens me deeply. :(

regards,  G.

They are idiots. 
Cup winning captains of note

Joe Sakic 15th pick

Rod Brind’Amour 9th pick

Dave Andreychuk 16th pick

Nicklas Lidstrom 3rd rd, 11th pk!!!

Zdeno Chara. 3rd rd, 4th pk!!!

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Jake able to Outman most guys in Jr. Very rare that translates to the show and when it does it's obvious.

Johnson is skill question is whether or not it translates to the show.

16 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Good.  We should trade it for Cernak then.

Nah we’d benefit longer from a 9th overall pick than a 23 year old 4th D.

Not that I wouldn’t mind Cernak but not for the 9th pick. 

Or at least try for someone better with the 9th. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog