The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Tunes Bring The tears?

Nuxfanabroad

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What is amazing is seeing reaction videos to this, and seeing young women basically having kittens at how good this is. 

It is outstanding stuff.

Live, with 1960 tech. A slightly longer version of this vid has Andy Williams asking why just the one 'brother' sings and Bill Medley says "I didn't think it was a hit so now I sit in the corner and kick myself".

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

that was my high school sweet heart and my song. never had another girl and song since. after my wife died, one more day would bring tears to my eyes

i just listened to it again and diamond rio tugged at my heart again. i don't know how to move it to here.

• Cheers 1

I've been wanting to post something here for a few days.  A couple Zep songs come to mind (Bron Yr Aur, and the ending of Over the Hills and Far Away), but then it came to me...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 5/19/2021 at 9:54 PM, zimmy said:

Everybody Hurts.  REM

The video in particular kills me

That song lives on my MP3 player, but it had been so long since I saw the video.  I forgot how powerful it is.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/26/2021 at 12:50 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

This Scottish classic has always done it for me:

Sung by Mary Duff.....

Yes, yes, a million times yes....I first saw The Dark Island and not the Mary Duff.....so was thinking I'd quote and post her version, which to me is the ONLY version of this that bears listening to....but here you are already with it. I am astounded someone else here actually knows this song at all considering it's origins.

My Scottish grandfather used to sing this to my sister and I when we were wee girls and it never fails to elicit tears no matter what mood I am in when I start listening...it's a homesickness and longing that aches. Thank you for posting it!! :wub:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 5/26/2021 at 8:49 PM, Ilunga said:

Very Haunting 

I believe this song takes it to another level 

And this song is the second one I would have posted...it touches a place so deep inside that there are no words...Thank you for sharing it, D!! :wub:

Edited by Cerridwen
  • Huggy Bear 1

An absolutely beautiful song about a horrible event.

When suppertime came, the old cook came on deck sayin'
"Fellas, it's too rough to feed ya"
At seven PM, a main hatchway caved in, he said
"Fellas, it's been good to know ya"
The captain wired in he had water comin' in
And the good ship and crew was in peril
And later that night when his lights went outta sight
Came the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

On 5/29/2021 at 4:09 PM, Kragar said:

I've been wanting to post something here for a few days.  A couple Zep songs come to mind (Bron Yr Aur, and the ending of Over the Hills and Far Away), but then it came to me...

Fantastic movie and that lady has a beautiful voice.

There is a bit of Irony here.

I can't remember who but someone on this board described me as Andy Dufresne in a thread a few years back about the Israeli/ Palestinian conflict.

Crawled through a river of $#@$ and came out the other side clean.

One of his quotes always touches my heart,"hope is good thing,maybe the best of things,and no good thing ever dies

I hope you bear no ill  will because I certainly do not.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

Another song by JP that finds its way straight into your soul.  Anything by John is great and he’s probably my favourite singer/songwriter/story-teller along with Harry Chapin, Joni Mitchell & few others.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1