The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Tunes Bring The tears?

Nuxfanabroad

On 5/30/2021 at 3:43 AM, 4petesake said:

I came across this song when a good friend was going through a very rough patch. It was hard to hear but I the same time it gave me hope that things might turn around.

Like this tune 4Pete..there's a net radio feed I enjoy that plays it often. Few other female vocalists have heard, with compelling lyrics...

Nancy Griffith..Heavenly Day

Grace Potter ..Apologies

Cat Power  ..The Greatest

Brandi Carlile  ..That Wasn't Me

Been away so long, don't know what/who's popular these days. But some of these really resonate

There still is some beautiful stuff out there. Takes time to separate the wheat from the chaff...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I hope you bear no ill  will because I certainly do not.

Was just a political disagreement.  There's nothing personal to it.

All good, cheers!

• Like 1

Two friends died when I was in second year of university and they played this at their funeral.  Sad for me to hear but perhaps more reminiscent for most people. 

13 hours ago, stawns said:

If you know the story of Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris, no way does this one not bring the tears

Thanks Stawns, I'd missed that one along life's road. Couple of later Emmylou gems:

Red Dirt Girl

Goodbye(wr: Steve Earl; p Daniel Lanois) this version is hauntingly beautiful

Love what Willie Nelson said of this woman, "With Emmylou there are 2 kinds of men. Those who fall in love with her, & those who haven't met her yet!"

8 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Thanks Stawns, I'd missed that one along life's road. Couple of later Emmylou gems:

Red Dirt Girl

Goodbye(wr: Steve Earl; p Daniel Lanois) this version is hauntingly beautiful

Love what Willie Nelson said of this woman, "With Emmylou there are 2 kinds of men. Those who fall in love with her, & those who haven't met her yet!"

Consider me both of those types of men!  Red Dirt Girl is a beautiful song........you likely already know it, but her collaborative album with Mark Knopfler might be some of her best work.  "If This is Goodbye" is a real tear jerker too.

Edited by stawns
  • Vintage 1

• 2 weeks later...

The whole Carrie & Lowell album, but especially “Should’ve Known Better” brings the tears for me.

Especially the second half where the song turns more hopeful. The line “My brother had a daughter/ the beauty that she brings, illumination,” is what always gets me weepy.

The song is about the death of Sufjan Stevens’ mother, and his feelings of loss and regret, processing trauma (his mother abandoned him as a young child, due to substance abuse and mental health issues), coming to terms with death, closing the door on the past, and finding meaning and beauty in the present and in the living.

My own sorry is different, from Sufjan’s but I really relate to the song. I went through a really rough patch where I lost my only sibling to suicide, and then my best friend, who I’d known since childhood, died tragically very shortly after. Shook my world and left me in a deep depression. And what eventually brought me out was the birth of my twins, just a couple years later.

“Illumination” is exactly how I felt when those precious babies entered the world.

“The beauty that they bring” is what brought me back to the world of the living.

And like the song says, “The past is still the past/ The bridge to nowhere.” I’d gotten stuck and couldn’t move past my feelings of loss. I needed to leave the past in the past, and my kids are what finally brought me back to the present.

When I first heard that song when the album dropped, I bawled my eyes out, because as much as it’s about Sufjan’s very autobiographical story with his mother, it was also about my own life, and felt very personal to me.

Other than that, if we’re talking about songs that bring the tears, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the entire Will Oldham song catalogue (he’s probably my favourite songwriter). Too many to choose from, not that all his tunes are depressing, but he definitely spends a lot of time in that space. Here are a couple (or three) of my favourites, when I’m in the mood for wallowing in my own sadness. :lol:

• Huggy Bear 2

This song is about a young girl, Georgia Lee Moses, being found dead. It really captures how people try to understand and deal with tragedy. At the same time, telling the story of many other lost and broken children.

"Close your eyes and count to ten
I will go and hide but then

Be sure to find me
I want you to find me

And we'll play all over... again"

To this day, Georgia Lee's sister continues to try to find answers:

https://www.nbcnews.com/dateline/woman-refuses-give-fight-justice-1997-murder-sister-georgia-lee-n1253649

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1

My kids share a lot of music with me, and I love that they do.

As they've gotten older, I feel like they understand me more.  We are so incredibly close.  I never tried to poison them against their Dad and I tried to maintain a "working relationship" with him for their sake, but they've gotten to see, firsthand, what life can be with him and how tough it is to navigate those waters.   Their own eyes have shown them.  We didn't have it easy by any means.

So when my son sent me this song and said "I think you'll like this one...."

(The line "I know you've been knocked down I know it ain't all been easy")

Tears, every time.

• Like 2