The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Getting the Right Hand Defenseman we need..........(discussion)

There needs to be upgrades. Canucks D has been pretty bad for years, Markstrom saving their bacon on several nights, facing way too many shots. Now Demko has to face 40+ shots a night. With Edler aging faster than Benjamin Button getting younger, and with the emergence of Rathbone, Schmidt and his $6 salary are kind of redundant and he may also want out. I'm assuming they'll re-sign Edler for that warm and fuzzy feeling. Can Benning re-sign Hamonic? Not sure. So that leaves them:

Hughes

Myers

old man Edler

Rathbone

Chatfield

Juolevi

Demko needs a lot better D in front of him than that next season, and if they don't re-sign Ian Clark, well, Demko isn't going to be happy.

24 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

There needs to be upgrades. Canucks D has been pretty bad for years, Markstrom saving their bacon on several nights, facing way too many shots. Now Demko has to face 40+ shots a night. With Edler aging faster than Benjamin Button getting younger, and with the emergence of Rathbone, Schmidt and his $6 salary are kind of redundant and he may also want out. I'm assuming they'll re-sign Edler for that warm and fuzzy feeling. Can Benning re-sign Hamonic? Not sure. So that leaves them:

Hughes

Myers

old man Edler

Rathbone

Chatfield

Juolevi

Demko needs a lot better D in front of him than that next season, and if they don't re-sign Ian Clark, well, Demko isn't going to be happy.

I really doubt Edler is back. If he is, it'll be a 1 year, cap friendly deal. 
Agreed though- need a #1 shutdown d-man, and it'l have to come by trade or Free Agency. Its a bummer we never got to see Schmidt playing on his strong side, but I'm not sure where he fits in if Rathbone is ready for full time duty. Juolevi looks like he can develop into a play it safe, stay at home d-man too. In an ideal world, we have each of our puck moving offensive defenceman with a stay at home guy. 

Hughes - #1 D
Myers - Juolevi
Rathbone - Hamonic

Then we have lots of options for PK and for shutting down top heavy 1st line dependent teams like Edmonton.

As soon as the playoffs are over for teams I'd be calling to see what they have available from a "non protected RHD" POV.  TB, Carolina would be very high on the list of teams.  Getting a guy like Foote or Cernak would be massive for us.  If you took on a guy like Killorn/Johnson to allow them to shed some cap, I think the cost would be minimal. TB was able to escape cap hell this year, but I don't think they will be able to next year, they will have to make a few painful moves.   As of now they are 5+ over the cap, and need to sign 4 more plsyers.

14 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, another season has passed, and quite a season it was. What became so evident to me was exactly how much we need that #1/#2 RHD man. IMO, we need a veteran, who can help Quinn Hughes. IMO, it is the single biggest single acquisition we need to go after.

Instead of actually, making a proposal and getting blown out of the water, I would like to make a few player suggestions and see who you like the best, or is it someone else? I would really like to see him be with Hughes for more than a year or 2, so without further ado, here are some of the guys I would like to go after.

In no particular order....................

A.             Jacob Trouba                  27 years old, 6'3" 209 lbs              $8,000,000 X 5 years

B.             Adam Larson                   28 years old, 6'3" 208 lbs              $4,100,000 (UFA)

C.             Erik Cernak                     23 years old, 6'3" 233 lbs              $2,950,000 X 3 years

D.             Dougie Hamiton              27 years old, 6'6" 229 lbs              $5,750,000 (UFA)

E.             Josh Manson                   29 years old, 6'3" 224 lbs              $4,100,000 X 1 year

Now, with Jacob Trouba, he has a NMC, but the Rangers are flush with RHD, and Trouba has been replace with Adam Fox, as the number one RHD, Trouba also carries a nice big 8 million dollar contract, which down the road is going to be a problem for the Rangers, as their young crop start loosing their ELC's. It is coming and the know it, They have Brandon Schneider, and Nils Lundkvist, coming soon, not to mention Antony Deangelo, who will most probably be bought out this summer. But regardless, of loosing Deangelo, the Rangers will not have a problem filling their RHD for years to come.

Adam Larson, is becoming a UFA this summer, but I am sure with the playoff experience that the Oilers are tasting, they will want to re-sign Larson, if they have the budget to, and with Tyson Barrie saying he would like to test the waters this summer in UFA, Edmonton will not be ready to loose 2/3's of their starting right side. IMO, they let Barrie walk, and try to fly with Evan Bouchard and Ethan Bear. I do not think Larson makes it to market.

Erik Cernak is a interesting target, as Tampa may not be able to protect all their defensemen. Top Dman Victor Hedman, along with McDonagh, and Segachev will be protected, unless Tampa can pull another rabbit out of a hat ( Never count them out on that one!), but certainly one of Cernak and Cal Foote will be exposed, if not both. Maybe Foote will be available?

Is he good enough to be considered help for Quinn Hughes? I don't think so, short term.

I am a Dougie Hamilton pusher, as it is not often you get a chance to sign a perennial all-star. But the price tag might be too big. (IMO, it starts at $8,000,000) if he even gets to market?

I am not sure there is much more to say about Hamilton, except his contract demands will surely include being a 6 to 8 year deal. Someone asked me in another thread, would I really want him at 36 years of age? Well maybe not, but IMO, a the contract could be structured with a declining salary that is buyout convenient." IF" we can find the money and "IF" he is available, he would impact out team favorably.

I love Josh Manson, but he is only under contract for 1 more year, and you have to wonder how much he would want to re-sign for, and how much the trade cost would be? He is also slowing down, so as much as I like him, is he aging out? 

These guys would all help the Canucks and Quinn Hughes, but would the cost be too much? I am not sure.

Do you have a particular player in mind? What would you give up? It is a tough position to fill, and I am not sure how many teams are really willing to lets good defensive players go, at least not without a Kings ransom.

Here is a couple random thoughts about this problem. If I am Benning, I am looking to see who is not protected and see if any one those players might fill the bill. Also, I think I am talking to Seattle and posing a deal for a solid RHD. Both idea's are related to the Expansion draft, and would be good options.

Another thing that might be worth considering and is a hail-mary, is moving our 2022-2023 1st rounder for a younger defenseman, who would not ordinarily be on the market, but might be considered, if a team was soft on who they would protect between their #3 and #4. This could be the way to get Cernak ???? I can imagine Tampa maybe wanting to hedge their chances at Bedard. Again this is only if they are going to lose one or the other anyways.

Hey, these are only a few of the Dmen out there that might fit the bill. (These are 5 of the ones I came up with). Can you think of any one else? IMO, he has to be someone that will help Hughes, and be around long term.

PSS..on a totally separate note. I hope Benning goes heavy on RHD.............I would consider getting Ceulemans and Morrow a win, even Ceulemans and one of Mailloux or Schmidt. It's time to stock those RHD prospects.

No way Tampa will give up Cernak.  He’s one of their few cost controlled assets and Tampa will have a huge cap mess.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

So I Noticed Capfriendly has updated their contract predictions for covid contracts.

here is a list of RHD that we have been talking about and capfriendly's predictions.

D.Hamilton 8.5M*7

A.Larrson    3.7M*4

D.Savard     1.8M*1  33% or 3.5M*4  25%

T.Hamonic    2.5M*2

J.Hankanpaa 1.5M*1 25% or 3.0M*4 25%

It also is stating that all of these players except Larrson will likely take discounts to stay with their teams, Hamonics discount is shown 

Bonus Capfriendly Predictions

EP 7.5M*7

QH 7.0M*6

Sutter 2.6M*3

Edler 2.8M*1

Juolevi 900K*2

B.Coleman 4.4M*4

A.Wennberg 4M*4

D,krejci  3.2M*1

P.Stastny 2.3M*1 or 3.9M*2

T.Zajac        1.2M*1

L.Glendenning 900K*1 OR 2.6M*4

Cedric Paquette 1.2M*2

*again many of these players will take discounts from their own teams. 

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

So I Noticed Capfriendly has updated their contract predictions for covid contracts.

here is a list of RHD that we have been talking about and capfriendly's predictions.

D.Hamilton 8.5M*7

A.Larrson    3.7M*4

T.Hamonic    2.5M*2

It also is stating that all of these players except Larrson will likely take discounts to stay with their teams, Hamonics discount is shown 

EP 7.5M*7

QH 7.0M*7

Sutter 2.6M*3

Edler 2.8M*1

Juolevi 900K*2

B.Coleman 4.4M*4

A.Wennberg 4M*4

D,krejci  3.2M*1

T.Zajac        1.2M*1

Cedric Paquette 1.2M*2

*again many of these players will take discounts from their own teams. The canucks will not be able to get these 1 year deals listed here. they will have to pay more salary/term

My personal choice is Larsson as he’s used to top pairing deployment (unlike Savard from

what I understand?) and also will not cost a beastly amount (like a Dougie Hamilton).  Hamilton is also more of an offensive minded dman and that’s not what we really need.

So my choice would be Larsson.  Hopefully, the Canucks can move atleast one of Eriksson, Beagle, or Roussel in order to make that happen.  

48 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

D.Hamilton 8.5M*7

A.Larrson    3.7M*4

T.Hamonic    2.5M*2

EP 7.5M*7

QH 7.0M*7

Sutter 2.6M*3

Edler 2.8M*1

Juolevi 900K*2

B.Coleman 4.4M*4

A.Wennberg 4M*4

D,krejci  3.2M*1

T.Zajac        1.2M*1

Cedric Paquette 1.2M*2

*again many of these players will take discounts from their own teams. 

I'd be thrilled with EP and QH signing at that salary and term (better if 8yr).

• Cheers 1

Hampus Lindholm

I am also still of the (opinion / option exploring) that we should pursue Hampus Lindholm via a sign and trade IF both Owen Power and Simon Edvinsson are off the table by the time we draft.

I still think the Canucks aren’t utilizing Schmidt to his full potential on the left side.  I’d rather have the Canucks bring in a defensively solid top pairing dman that can be the “ying to the yang” for Schmidt in a more offensive system.  Similar to his deployment in Vegas.  

When you have a recent Norris trophy candidate on your team, you try and accommodate him in the best way possible.

Ryan Murphy from NJ is a defenseman that comes to mind, but his injury prone nature is a deal breaker for me.

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Exactly!  We already have the shutdown RSD to partner with Hughes.  Sign Hamonic to 3 years.

Hughes Hammer

Bone Schmidt

OJ Myers

Chatfield

Wasnt super impressed with harmonic with hughes. He really gonna be our #2 dman going foward?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Wasnt super impressed with harmonic with hughes. He really gonna be our #2 dman going foward?

Are D really numbered much anymore?  I think the top minute guys will be Hughes if we are trailing, and Myers (or Hamonic and Schmidt) if we are Winning.  So the pairing will be situational.  If the D were ranked by minutes played over the first 20 games of next season I’m guessing:

Hughes

Myers

Schmidt

Hamonic

Bone

OJ

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Agreed. Better to let him go, and try to upgrade to a true 1D. 
I also don't see how Boner and Schmidt work out as a pairing - at least not against other teams' 1st lines. 
OJ and Giraffe seemed to have good chemistry, so I see that. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are D really numbered much anymore?  I think the top minute guys will be Hughes if we are trailing, and Myers (or Hamonic and Schmidt) if we are Winning.  So the pairing will be situational.  If the D were ranked by minutes played over the first 20 games of next season I’m guessing:

Hughes

Myers

Schmidt

Hamonic

Bone

OJ

I dunno, Everyones saying how good they are together but i didnt really see that. Rather he have someone better playing with him.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I dunno, Everyones saying how good they are together but i didnt really see that. Rather he have someone better playing with him.

Who do we have that would be better in that role though?  Schmidt?  I’m guessing Hamonic will come back for 2 per.  Difficult to find a guy for that cost, who can fill that role.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who do we have that would be better in that role though?  Schmidt?  I’m guessing Hamonic will come back for 2 per.  Difficult to find a guy for that cost, who can fill that role.  

Yes agreed. It will be hard to find someone better with our cap situation. Tho do we wanna invest 3 years and 3 mill per for him to just become a 5/6 dman on our team when next season we will have money to find a better player for quinn.

Edited by Bertuzzipunch
  • Like 1

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yes agreed. It will be hard to find someone better with our cap situation. Tho do we wanna invest 3 years and 3 mill per to them become a 5/6 dman on our team when next season we will have money to find a better player for quinn.

Good point about contract length for Hamonic.  What is the cap and term where he is not cost effective?

No more than 2 million for the cap and no more than 2 years for the term?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Good point about contract length for Hamonic.  What is the cap and term where he is not cost effective?

No more than 2 million for the cap and no more than 2 years for the term?

Ideal would be 1 year for me. Another season  on seeing how he does. Im hoping because of seattle JB can somehow swindle a deal for a better player that a team dont wanna lose in expansion or hit hard with cap issues and wanna get a asset for him instead

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Ideal would be 1 year for me. Another season  on seeing how he does. Im hoping because of seattle JB can somehow swindle a deal for a better player that a team dont wanna lose in expansion or hit hard with cap issues and wanna get a asset for him instead

We do have a protection spot, so hopefully JB can do that.  

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

We dont have to protect quinn or rathbone, so we are fine.

If JB can get a guy, who another team can’t protect, who is better than Hamonic he’s got to look at that, especially if the cost is low.  I wonder if we protect OJ?