The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Getting the Right Hand Defenseman we need..........(discussion)

40 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Islanders would never give him up barring a ridiculous overpayment.  If you’re looking for a young RHD from the Island, Bode Wilde might be a more realistic target.

How about QHs straight across for Dobson and their first?   Is that ridiculous enough for you?   Nobody is immune from getting traded.   As of right now Schmidt holds more playoff value then Dobson does.   And the Islanders are now considered a contender, for sure Dobson is for sale if they think they can win a cup with more experienced, in their prime assets.   Miller for Dobson?  Is that realistic?   For sure Miller is a better right now asset (for NYI), and for us Miller is not a right now asset, but Dobson is a good future asset worth acquiring. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yesssss!

Almost certainly not happening but I would LOVE it if it did.

And the proposal isn't entirely out to lunch.

They lose Leddy in the ED, we replace him with Schmidt AND take on the last 2 years of Ladd...

Yes.   They are close and will be starting to make contender trades, one conference final is a fluke, two a pattern.   

NYI are legit.   Taking Ladd off their hands would open up cap.   I'd even trade Myers instead and i've been a pretty big supporter of him since his signing.   Dobson isn't there yet but has the tools and the size we need, and more then anything he's the right age to grow with these guys.   He's going to get a raise soon.   Would take quite a bit of juggling for both teams to make it work but for sure i'd be stoked if we got him. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yes.   They are close and will be starting to make contender trades, one conference final is a fluke, two a pattern.   

NYI are legit.   Taking Ladd off their hands would open up cap.   I'd even trade Myers instead and i've been a pretty big supporter of him since his signing.   Dobson isn't there yet but has the tools and the size we need, and more then anything he's the right age to grow with these guys.   He's going to get a raise soon.   Would take quite a bit of juggling for both teams to make it work but for sure i'd be stoked if we got him. 

As would I... But don't think they have as much need for him if they keep Pelech, Pulock and Mayfield.

But if he floats their boat... Bye Tyler! :lol:

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1

this is hilarious, because Canucks had this type of D-Man in Tanev and they let him walk, even he was the perfect partner for Hughes, right - handed and stay at home D-Man.

Instead of re-signing Tanev Canucks added for the right side the left handed  D-Man  Schmidt.

Instead of re-signing Tanev - for let's say 4.500.000 $  Canucks spend 5.950.000 $ for Schmidt.

laughable.

Things haven't worked out for Schmidt in VAN because

- he was used as a shutdown D-Man in VAN even though he isn't a shutdown -D-Man - 

- he was forced to play the offside (the right side as a LHD)

- he was not getting the time on the PP as he had expected behind Hughes.

Interesting how the media of other NHL teams looks at the Schmidt situation in VAN:

" Schmidt was touted to Canucks fans as a quick footed; puck moving defenseman who was great for the locker room. However, Travis Green utilized him as more of a shutdown defender. Schmidt started in the defensive zone 65.2% of the time. To contrast against his prior utilization in Vegas he was at 51% for D-Zone starts. The Capitals brought him up as an offensive rearguard starting him only 44.5% in the D-Zone."

I fully get that Schmidt wants to get out of VAN because of the way he was deployed on the Canucks team in 2020/2021.

Keeping Tanev would have been a smart decision.

Now, Jim is busy to fix this desaster. He has not only to make a deal to trade the wrong player away in Schmidt but he also has to find the right player for the right side (player type and cap hit).

Good luck Jim.

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

this is hilarious, because Canucks had this type of D-Man in Tanev and they let him walk, even he was the perfect partner for Hughes, right - handed and stay at home D-Man.

Instead of re-signing Tanev Canucks added for the right side the left handed  D-Man  Schmidt.

Instead of re-signing Tanev - for let's say 4.500.000 $  Canucks spend 5.950.000 $ for Schmidt.

laughable.

Things haven't worked out for Schmidt in VAN because

- he was used as a shutdown D-Man in VAN even though he isn't a shutdown -D-Man - 

- he was forced to play the offside (the right side as a LHD)

- he was not getting the time on the PP as he had expected behind Hughes.

Interesting how the media of other NHL teams looks at the Schmidt situation in VAN:

" Schmidt was touted to Canucks fans as a quick footed; puck moving defenseman who was great for the locker room. However, Travis Green utilized him as more of a shutdown defender. Schmidt started in the defensive zone 65.2% of the time. To contrast against his prior utilization in Vegas he was at 51% for D-Zone starts. The Capitals brought him up as an offensive rearguard starting him only 44.5% in the D-Zone."

I fully get that Schmidt wants to get out of VAN because of the way he was deployed on the Canucks team in 2020/2021.

Keeping Tanev would have been a smart decision.

Now, Jim is busy to fix this desaster. He has not only to make a deal to trade the wrong player away in Schmidt but he also has to find the right player for the right side (player type and cap hit).

Good luck Jim.

Sure.   Let's not forget Tanev has only managed 70ish games twice in his career.   Or ignore Schmidt was also behind Theodore on the PP in Vegas.    If your going to compare the two then do a better job - and why not wait another year and wait and see how things go shall we?   QHs is also the problem.  If we can't pair him with anyone but Tanev maybe we shouldn't be signing him to uber term and bucks either. 

35 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sure.   Let's not forget Tanev has only managed 70ish games twice in his career.   Or ignore Schmidt was also behind Theodore on the PP in Vegas.    If your going to compare the two then do a better job - and why not wait another year and wait and see how things go shall we?   QHs is also the problem.  If we can't pair him with anyone but Tanev maybe we shouldn't be signing him to uber term and bucks either. 

Let's also look past the fact Tanev was healthy most of his last year with Canucks after they finally addressed his equipment and improve his protection from all his shot blocking. The fact we didn't offer Tanev anything close to what the Lames did then went out on day 4 of FA and acquired a 5.9m Left shot D who plays the right side in a offensive role was mind boggling

Here we sit a year after the debacle of October 2020 and the Canuck GM sill has a job...unbelievable in my eyes. To go out and say we need a RHD and a top 6 winger after we let both go with next to no communication last off season is a joke! All because the GM was trying to acquire an 8.25m LHD signed for 7 years at the time instead...

Time for most of CDC to take the homer glasses of and realize our last off season was a complete FAILURE

31 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Let's also look past the fact Tanev was healthy most of his last year with Canucks after they finally addressed his equipment and improve his protection from all his shot blocking. The fact we didn't offer Tanev anything close to what the Lames did then went out on day 4 of FA and acquired a 5.9m Left shot D who plays the right side in a offensive role was mind boggling

Here we sit a year after the debacle of October 2020 and the Canuck GM sill has a job...unbelievable in my eyes. To go out and say we need a RHD and a top 6 winger after we let both go with next to no communication last off season is a joke! All because the GM was trying to acquire an 8.25m LHD signed for 7 years at the time instead...

Time for most of CDC to take the homer glasses of and realize our last off season was a complete FAILURE

Hmmm good spin.   We didn't trade for OEL did we, nobody knows what we were going to do as far as our offer and what sort of retention might have been included.   Tanev was offered a deal that worked for the team 4 x 2.   Why don't we wait and see how many games he plays next season shall we?   Still early days to revisionist last off season, he did what i hoped at least, which was let them all walk.   A few games in the CDC was freaking out because we didn't sign Markstrom too remember? 

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Hmmm good spin.   We didn't trade for OEL did we, nobody knows what we were going to do as far as our offer and what sort of retention might have been included.   Tanev was offered a deal that worked for the team 4 x 2.   Why don't we wait and see how many games he plays next season shall we?   Still early days to revisionist last off season, he did what i hoped at least, which was let them all walk.   A few games in the CDC was freaking out because we didn't sign Markstrom too remember? 

I agree, but Tanev was to Hughes what Clark was to Demko to a degree minus 1 being a coach vs player. Walking from Marky was the BEST decision this team made, we had a younger G who looked ready and we could sign a reliable back up just in case. Marky had been injured for us from being over worked or his body just breaking down, he should bounce back for the Lames and provide solid goaltending but it was wrong of us to spend as much time trying to sign him as it was going after OEL

Does someone remember this to be accurate? I believe in the past few years the Canuck GM was interested in acquiring Jason Demers before he went to Arizona or nixed a trade to Vancouver. He is now a UFA to be, not the youngest anymore at 33 but could be a stop gap option if they decide to not retain Hamonic and shouldn't cost a ton either.

Hamilton by far is the best of the bunch. And he's 3.5 years younger then AP was in his walk year.    I'd pay 9 x 7 for him if that's what it took.   Then we could put this game to rest.   Also trade Schmidt or at least dangle him in the ED.   Pipe dream, every other team would also welcome him....but you just never do know 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Hamilton by far is the best of the bunch. And he's 3.5 years younger then AP was in his walk year.    I'd pay 9 x 7 for him if that's what it took.   Then we could put this game to rest.   Also trade Schmidt or at least dangle him in the ED.   Pipe dream, every other team would also welcome him....but you just never do know 

Never really watched Hamilton much, I know he can score points but is he good in the defensive zone? Can he play the PK, cause at a big price tag of 8m per year or more you can't have a 1 dimensional offensive D who is horrendous in his own end. No way could we then pair Hughes with someone like Hamilton, it would be a disaster when they are in their own end.

On 7/10/2021 at 6:57 PM, IBatch said:

real oddball history on Tanev.  For each his last two seasons (one in Vancouver & one in Calgary), he hasn't missed a single NHL game.  

35 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Never really watched Hamilton much, I know he can score points but is he good in the defensive zone? Can he play the PK, cause at a big price tag of 8m per year or more you can't have a 1 dimensional offensive D who is horrendous in his own end. No way could we then pair Hughes with someone like Hamilton, it would be a disaster when they are in their own end.

Most  talk I see is about getting Hughes a RHD, but I wonder if we played Hughes as a 2nd pairing LHD and Rathbone as a 1st pairing we would not be better served?

Rathbone       Hamilton

Hughes          Hamonic/Schmidt/Larson/Savard?

Juolevi           Myers

I see this as Hughes on the PP where he gets all his points, but Rathbone at regular strength with the Pettersson line, where with Hamilton they can drive even strength play..

That leave Myers and Juolevi to start on the PK, where they are better suited. I don't know, but that is how I would do it.

Edited by janisahockeynut

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

The problem with the 9x7 deal is that this is what Carolina will likely offer him......or even if it’s slightly less than that, he’d still make more in Carolina than we would with 9x7 in Vancouver due to the massive tax differences.   So why would Hamilton come here, to a worse team, for that term and money?