The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini owes Canuck Nation an explanation.

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

20 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

EDM looks like night and day from when they had Chia running the show. Goes to show what a great GM will do for an organization. Aquas need to open up their wallets and hire the right guys. 

^ this. Its time to invest more in talent in the front office. There's simply too much work now for one guy to do, having a combined president an gm is a recipe for mistakes and bad communication. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The problem, for me,  is that none of us really know what's happening on the inside...and that's what matters most.

We have a lot of instant gratification fans...the ones who show up and boo if we're struggling.  Leave.  They feel the team owes them on a regular basis and don't really recognize how tough it is to win all the time.  For some (many?), it's "win or bust" but there's no in between or patience.

As a really long time fan, we're seeing some pretty exciting competitive hockey when the team isn't being stretched as thin as it was this season.  Sure, last season they struggled too but what these fans ignore is the facts.  Injuries really do matter and they ignore that.  The flipside of that IS depth, and that means you survive the injuries fairly intact and can manage through them.  But we're slowly being able to fill in some holes from the cupboard stock and that hasn't always been.

I know there are some who have a mob mentality and go along with the "movement" more than fully digest it.   Always complaining.  

Pressuring ownership into reacting to the screaming may have them do things that make us worse, not better.  I've seen that side of it ... and it scares me.

I've said for awhile that I'm not opposed to change.  But be careful what you wish for...the grass isn't always greener.  Look back at the threads of "FIRE [insert name here]" to see this is an ongoing saga.

I can’t read these pages without wondering how much of the ‘dump’ Benning effort has nothing to do with hockey or the Canucks. I think your comment about ‘pressuring ownership’ hints at the nub of the matter. It is an exercise in influencing outcomes and the Canuck forum is a very useful tool to accomplish that. I highly doubt that these influencers have much of a constituency yet act as if they do. Many are obviously not even hockey fans as their knowledge is limited. 

As a fan from the beginning I rank Benning next to Quinn and ultimately he might eclipse Pat. JB is a superior drafter of talent so his true legacy is still in the making. If BB, EP and Hughes all have HHF careers what does that make Benning? Does JB have to win a CUP to gain approval? If so the naysayers could easily be vindicated. Reality is that Benning could do everything right and the Canucks still don’t win a CUP. I think of the early Sabre teams, SJ, Nordiques, and even some very talented NYR clubs. I won’t give them cred for ‘94 as it was stolen from us. How many times did the Habs take the CUP from much stronger Boston teams. Cherry probably still has nightmares. 

Hard to get worked up. The owners and management of the Canucks are better informed and I trust their decisions will be solid. 

• Vintage 3

43 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

EDM looks like night and day from when they had Chia running the show. Goes to show what a great GM will do for an organization. Aquas need to open up their wallets and hire the right guys. 

I wouldn't say open up their wallets. But hire the right guy is very true. 

They need to show us what they got before the wallet opens up and we dig in the deep pockets.

I agree changes are needed but disagree that the owners owe anyone an explanation.

I’m not a fan of making changes just for the sake of making change. That never goes well in sports  All but the blind can clearly see something is broken with this team. 

Is it a player or players that are the cause ? Maybe a coach or is it the GM?
Firing or trading the person/s who are not the problem will do more damage then doing nothing.

What I feel the owners owe fans is to acknowledge the obvious ..... something needs fixing and that they are taking steps do fix that before puck drop next season

Maybe the owners have been the problem and the fix behind the scene is for gem to stop micromanaging people and let them do their job ?

What I do know for sure is something is broken and I strongly doubt anyone in this forum has the expertise to be able to clearly state what the problem is.  The solution may be as simple as letting people do their jobs to trading away or for one player ... 

All I want as a fan is to hear the owners say yup “we are getting to the root of it and will sort it out ASAP” ..... that’s it. Don’t think we get the right to tell any company how to run their own business ..... we just get to judge the outcome 

• Like 2

Lol what is this?!!! Francesco does not need to explain anything to us. I know he’s passionate about his team and has pumped resources into making this club relevant over the past couple decades. Sure the brand has taken a hit this last bit but in saying that every company/brand has had to deal with hardship some more than others. It may seem the sky is crashing down on the team lol but it’s not, we will rebound because I know from following this team for 35 plus years this core that has been assembled will take us to greatness. Stop with the demands, just open your eyes, take a deep breath and focus your energy on doing or saying something meaningful that can help someone or something push forward. Winning or becoming great isn’t easy but we are on our way. 

Change is needed look at the club that have made changes and are now in the playoffs . JB is not a great drafter by no means average at best. His scouts have a lot to do with his picks like i said before my dog could draft as well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

^ this. Its time to invest more in talent in the front office. There's simply too much work now for one guy to do, having a combined president an gm is a recipe for mistakes and bad communication. 

Yep, our GM and AGM were off scouting games in Texas when the Jake Virtanen controversy broke out and Green constantly bombarded with questions of contract negotiations. JB is not only managing the chief scout role since Brackett left, but he's also President of Hockey Ops AND GM while dealing with multiple crises in this covid year. Our front office is stretched too thin.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, NucksIn50 said:

Lol what is this?!!! Francesco does not need to explain anything to us. I know he’s passionate about his team and has pumped resources into making this club relevant over the past couple decades. Sure the brand has taken a hit this last bit but in saying that every company/brand has had to deal with hardship some more than others. It may seem the sky is crashing down on the team lol but it’s not, we will rebound because I know from following this team for 35 plus years this core that has been assembled will take us to greatness. Stop with the demands, just open your eyes, take a deep breath and focus your energy on doing or saying something meaningful that can help someone or something push forward. Winning or becoming great isn’t easy but we are on our way. 

Yes time will tell but is JB really the guy to close the deal . He reminds me of Uncle Buck !

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Yes time will tell but is JB really the guy to close the deal . He reminds me of Uncle Buck !

Haha I don’t care if Benning looks like Mr. Bean all that matters is this off-season. Let the boys do there exits, start preparing for draft, have our coach signed, get contracts in order and have our boys ready for training camp. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IRR said:

I shared this in another thread and maybe i should share it again here...

I just have to say this.....i've said it a few times in this thread, but the way the media / a large portion of this fan base is reacting is disgusting!!! Completely blowing things out of proportion!! Throwing tantrums like a child! What's crazy is these people ignore some of the most important issues in the world (not a care / out of sight, out of mind), yet you're losing your damn minds over this...really?! I love this team, have followed them since 88 and want nothing more than them to win a cup, but i will never lose my mind over the things they do. I may be disappointed, or disagree with things, but that's were it ends. Not flying banners over the city, or threatening to boycott the team if they don't do as i want. There's way more important things in life...we actually almost lost our youngest son (just turned 3) a few months ago. He got a staph infection that spread through his whole body and he went into toxic shock. It was not looking good for a few days and was a long journey with a lot of ups and downs and i spent 2 months with him in Children's Hospital. Worst time of my life and damn near broke me! Thankfully he's healthy and we're back at home, but life teaches you lessons and puts things in perspective...i highly recommend some people take a step back, relax, realize it isn't the end of the world with what's going with the team and put things in perspective! I hope it doesn't take something like what we went through for some people to realize there's way more to life. 

Sucky! Glad he's out and doing better! You're right there are way more important things in life!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

knew how this thread would go just from reading the title, and CDC did not disappoint. :lol:

Fan protests and “demands” always seems a bit pointless and childish.

And the one position in hockey where you kind of get to do whatever the **** you want, is team owner, so long as you don’t run afoul of the NHL or break any of the basic governing agreements.

So yeah, Frankie doesn’t owe us anything.

However...

We also know that the Aquilinis are very reactive, and even stuff that seems really dumb, like flying #FireBenning banners,, chanting “fire Gillis,” wearing anti-ownership/management T-shirts, holding rallies/protests, negative press stories about “fan confidence,” angry social media posts, and the like, are all things that ownership notices and reacts to. 

It all has an effect, and these owners will react. Their approach and actions are greatly influenced by whatever feedback they’re getting from the fans.

JB appears to have been given another year, for the time being, so the #FireBenning movement did not (yet) succeed. However, the conversation around Benning’s job security has certainly changed, and that’s mostly because of the fans. Jim already came much closer to getting canned this year than he would have without the actions of the anti-JB fan movement, and he’s not out of the hot seat, by any means.

Same thing goes for ownership bringing in all these new advisors, and looking to give themselves cover, by bringing in former players, especially the universally loved Sedins.

Probably none of that happens, if Canucks fans were simply united in their positivity and agreement with the plan and approach taken by this team.

So, while a lot of this stuff may seem, to many on CDC, like a bunch of petulant, wet diaper, childish fans throwing silly tantrums, the fact remains that ownership does notice and react to negative fan sentiments, and it does shift their approach to how the team is run.

Think world peace would be reached beforehand....

But unfortunately you are bang on point again SID... while negative press may better than no press at all, a lot of it will often get owners to react. 

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Covid owes me an explanation. No concerts. No live hockey. Amazing we actually got to watch hockey over the past year 

I want an explanation from Uncle Laleet. For example, who's uncle is he? is he @Squamfan's uncle? what drugs is Uncle on? 

• Haha 2

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I want an explanation from Uncle Laleet. For example, who's uncle is he? is he @Squamfan's uncle? what drugs is Uncle on? 

I’m going camping for the long weekend. You know stuff that I can do with my kids and create some memories. It would be cool if someone can snap some pictures of this protest so I can have a good laugh when I get back.

Uncle is on some heavy stuff 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1