The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini owes Canuck Nation an explanation.

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

8 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Canuck's Nation & Season Ticket Holders demand ownership step up in front of the microphone at a news conference and explain what the game plan is and answer all questions from reporters.   It's been 7 years now with JB & Co. and we're right back at square one - actually much worse this year than back then.  The cycle of excuses and attempted distractions from JB's incompetence, like hiring Trevor and the chatter now about hiring the Sedins/Courtnall doesn't cut-it. We know that's all smoke and mirrors.  Jim Benning Has Failed this franchise and should be removed NOW!

WE (Canuck's Nation & Season Ticket Holders) WAN'T TO KNOW WHAT THE GAME PLAN IS GOING FORWARD   Be a Man Francesco and step up to the podium and answer for these sins!

I get that it's frustrating to be a fan of a team that plays woefully inconsistent hockey, with seemingly no direction or identity. I get it. 

That being said, the Aquilini family own the team and the building the team plays in. Outright. It's theirs to do as they wish really. The way they do their business will eventually affect the state of their business, either in a positive or a negative way. If the team continues to languish next year, they'll most likely lose season ticket membership, although I believe there is still a lengthy waitlist for new season ticket membership, if people don't renew. 

Sadly, the atmosphere and culture the Aqulinis promote at Rogers Arena is a corporate one, and is a far cry away from the excellent atmosphere that was at Pacific Coliseum. Rabid fandom is relegated to the nosebleeds these days, with most people in the lower bowl working their phones or sales pitches and using the game as a backdrop. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

he doesn't owe anyone anything more than any other business owner owes consumers.  

Seeing as the arena was 100% funded by the previous owner (nor the Aquilini's) and not the taxpayer, I kind of lean towards this.  Let's see what happens when the team needs a new arena (as Rogers is kind of getting up there in age).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

EDM looks like night and day from when they had Chia running the show. Goes to show what a great GM will do for an organization. Aquas need to open up their wallets and hire the right guys. 

Or...... they lose 3 more games to Winnipeg and everybody wants out.

Oilers won a playoff round in 2017 under Chia. Under Holland they lost in the playin round last year and this year they are 0-1 against the Jets. This, with two of the best hockey players on the planet in your lineup.

Will 39 year old Mike Smith will save the day?

It’s a little early for the great GM making a difference narrative. Oilers haven’t actually won anything yet.

I’m rooting for Holland to do well. He lives in our town and we get to see the Cup if the Oilers win.  

2 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Change is needed look at the club that have made changes and are now in the playoffs . JB is not a great drafter by no means average at best. His scouts have a lot to do with his picks like i said before my dog could draft as well.

I love when like minds sync their thoughts. To summarize the outcome:

Give JB. as little credit as possible for for positive results, for example drafting. Assign as much blame as possible to JB for negative results. And your answer is to fire JB.

Totally did not surprise me that the OP loved your post.  Just another day in the kangaroo court. 

And did all of the clubs that made changes make the playoffs? Buffalo and Calgary quickly come to mind here. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

We ARE WORSE than in 2014? Man, wish we could kindly send you back there in a DeLorean or something.

Unbelievable...

Just got back from my trip to the past and unfortunately just re-confirmed what I stated earlier, that we finished MUCH worse this year than 2014, before Jim began trying to point this team in some sort of direction with a his rebuild/retool/resomething.   Other than a few great picks (we all know who), It's pretty obvious to those who have been following and supporting ($) this team for decades, that this team is in absolute crisis - stuck in the mud and in need of major re-direction.   

Three (slender) good young draft picks will not take us to the cup alone.    It's going to take a complete cast of descent players to complement those star players to get this team to where it needs to be and which Jim has been unable to assemble - now going into his eighth year.  There's a point in time where you just have to admit Failure and we are at that point.  As a season's ticket holder for 20 years I have every G'dam right to demand value for my hard earned money and certainly some sort of explanation WTheck is going on, as I've done my part and remained faithful and along for the ride - BUT - there's a point where failure must be admitted and changes made and we are at that point now.

Standings at Seasons end:

2014-15 = 8'th   (Jim's first year as GM inheriting a supposedly awful team) 

2015-16 = 28th  (3rd worst team that year and after Jim's first full year retooling the team)

2016-17 = 29th  (2nd worst team that year)

2017-18 = 26th  (6th worst team)

2018-19 = 23rd (9th worst team)

2019-20 = 17th  (Squeak into the playoffs)

2021-21 = 24th (a mere 3 points above the 29th place or 3rd worst team)  

Is this progression ????

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Like 1

If FA can fire Gillis for an early departure from the play-offs how come he doesn't apply the same reasoning for a GM who totally missed the play-offs and end up bottom of the division. Listening to the radio it became apparent that FA "likes" JB as a friend rather than as a manger who has astute managerial skills. Memo to FA IF you want fans to buy tickets then there's a expectation you will do the right thing rather for the organization rather than for your own gratification 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

If FA can fire Gillis for an early departure from the play-offs how come he doesn't apply the same reasoning for a GM who totally missed the play-offs and end up bottom of the division. Listening to the radio it became apparent that FA "likes" JB as a friend rather than as a manger who has astute managerial skills. Memo to FA IF you want fans to buy tickets then there's a expectation you will do the right thing rather for the organization rather than for your own gratification 

The reason that Frankie likes Jim is because he has his yes man, Benning is Frankie shield so he can be GM

• Cheers 1

Ridiculous thread.

Ownership here has always paid to the cap ceiling, wants to win and is involved in the community. 

They owe nothing to you. It’s their team and they have the right to run it how they want. Not you. 

This is a private company. Not government and you are not a shareholder.

They take all the risks and they can do as they wish.

Please delete this.....

• Sad 1
  • Vintage 3

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Ridiculous thread.

Ownership here has always paid to the cap ceiling, wants to win and is involved in the community. 

They owe nothing to you. It’s their team and they have the right to run it how they want. Not you. 

This is a private company. Not government and you are not a shareholder.

They take all the risks and they can do as they wish.

Please delete this.....

How much do you spend on supporting the Canucks every year.?? By purchasing tickets I'm investing in the club and frankly have certain expectations. When I attend a game I have an expectation of receiving back some entertainment value. Why would anyone attend and think to themselves Oh!! we lost again wasn't that great. The NHL ( including the Canucks) sell their product to fans but in Vcr case, don't come through. The franchise has great value and that's in large due to the attendance they draw. You may not remember this but it wasn't that long ago the Canucks were exploring a different location ..... because the support was so poor ... it could happen again. Currently FA makes a profit and that's why he continues to hold on to it, .... yes a profit. The Canucks have a current value ( 10th in the league) of US$ 725 million and a revenue of US$ 146 million. FA is not out with his begging bowl of East Hastings

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

How much do you spend on supporting the Canucks every year.?? By purchasing tickets I'm investing in the club and frankly have certain expectations. When I attend a game I have an expectation of receiving back some entertainment value. Why would anyone attend and think to themselves Oh!! we lost again wasn't that great. The NHL ( including the Canucks) sell their product to fans but in Vcr case, don't come through. The franchise has great value and that's in large due to the attendance they draw. You may not remember this but it wasn't that long ago the Canucks were exploring a different location ..... because the support was so poor ... it could happen again. Currently FA makes a profit and that's why he continues to hold on to it, .... yes a profit. The Canucks have a current value ( 10th in the league) of US$ 725 million and a revenue of US$ 146 million. FA is not out with his begging bowl of East Hastings

buying the product is your choice. if you don't enjoy it, stop. the canucks organization owes you nothing besides reserving your seat for you. it's that simple. you're not entitled to anything whether you're a 50 year season ticket holder or one of the typical 14 year old twitter morons that infest this fanbase. nowhere in your season ticket holder agreement does it say you're entitled to any level of success or "entertainment value" ... don't like it? pound sand. you're not a shareholder of a company, you're a consumer of a product. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

9 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

I don't think JB is as incompetent as a lot of people on here think. I mean Hoglander, Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser were all home-runs, I'm not thrilled with any of the contracts he's given out in fact only Jason Botterill has been worse. But the drafting has been good, not great but good. We've got another top 10 pick this year and I think we'll get a pretty snazzy player whether it be a forward or a defender. 

Hughes was a no brainer where they picked him. Boeser too was a consensus pick in that range.

Petterssen was a clear homerun for sure. 

Hoglander I cant recall where most analysts had him projected to go tbh. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tas said:

buying the product is your choice. if you don't enjoy it, stop. the canucks organization owes you nothing besides reserving your seat for you. it's that simple. you're not entitled to anything whether you're a 50 year season ticket holder or one of the typical 14 year old twitter morons that infest this fanbase. nowhere in your season ticket holder agreement does it say you're entitled to any level of success or "entertainment value" ... don't like it? pound sand. you're not a shareholder of a company, you're a consumer of a product. 

What is it they're selling,  apparently in bad faith? 

Edited by Fred65

14 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

It’s none of your business how much profit ownership makes. It’s their business. Literally. 

Also, no one is putting a gun to your head to go watch games at the arena and buy their merchandise. This is a free country. You choose to do what you do. 

No one here is happy with the product this season. But I question your argument of paying for tickets when NO one did that all year. So in essence, your own argument, as ridiculous as it is, has absolutely no merit. 

Edited by grandmaster
  • Like 1

Just now, Fred65 said:

What is it they're selling to apparently in bad faith? 

they're selling you the opportunity to watch live hockey. they're not selling you a ticket to watch guaranteed wins. 

6 minutes ago, tas said:

This is true to a certain degree.

But companies, even hockey teams, do need to be cautious about driving away consumers.

Everyone assumes demand for season tickets is boundless. Its not, especially in Vancouver. Its definitely finite and this move of keeping the status quo could cause a massive wave of issues for the Canucks.

Seattle coming into the league now will already divert some interest from the Canucks. If keeping the whole crew results in more bad signings, self inflicted cap wounds, and a general vibe of incompetence, there will be another option now.

I think people seriously misrepresent just how risky this move is. They are clearly relying on being in a weak division next year. But what if a few of those teams improve and surprise?

Aquilini should have made some kind of change. And potentially losing Clark isnt the right one.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Here’s an idea, I’d you don’t like the product they’re putting out, then stop putting your money in. It’s not their fault that you decide to spend money on their product. It’s pretty straight forward. 

These guys don’t owe you squat. 

• Vintage 1

My god so many cry babies in this fan base. Aquilini owes us nothing and Benning has overall been a very good gm. We have a very good coach, assuming Green is in fact staying. With Podkolzin coming in next year, we’re on the cusp of having one of the most talented groups of top 6 forwards in the league. We have a very good goalie tandem. Our bottom 6 forward group has some good core members like Motte and Pearson to build around. Guys like Gadjovich and Lockwood and Lind could all potentially be vital pieces of that next year. We have one of the top young dmen in the league and a potential shining star in Rathbone to go along with it. A couple defensive shake ups and a couple changes in the bottom 6 and we’re going to be incredibly competitive. If you don’t like it, go cheer for someone else. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This is true to a certain degree.

But companies, even hockey teams, do need to be cautious about driving away consumers.

Everyone assumes demand for season tickets is boundless. Its not, especially in Vancouver. Its definitely finite and this move of keeping the status quo could cause a massive wave of issues for the Canucks.

Seattle coming into the league now will already divert some interest from the Canucks. If keeping the whole crew results in more bad signings, self inflicted cap wounds, and a general vibe of incompetence, there will be another option now.

I think people seriously misrepresent just how risky this move is. They are clearly relying on being in a weak division next year. But what if a few of those teams improve and surprise?

Aquilini should have made some kind of change. And potentially losing Clark isnt the right one.

it wasn't that long ago that seasons had to be capped at 17000 (out of 18630 or whatever) seats and had a 7 year waiting list. this market is volatile and fickle, but it always has and always come back with a little bit of winning. ownership has no reason to worry about a season ticket holder exodus. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, tas said:

it wasn't that long ago that seasons had to be capped at 17000 (out of 18630 or whatever) seats and had a 7 year waiting list. this market is volatile and fickle, but it always has and always come back with a little bit of winning. ownership has no reason to worry about a season ticket holder exodus. 

Its been 7 years of largely terrible hockey and we just got told that same crew is sticking around. 

There is a real risk if it goes sideways again ne t year that the same excuses we have heard for 7 years wont cut it. I think people underestimate just how frustrated a large portion of the fanbase actually is. There is little room for error with this strategy. At leadt a GM or coach change woukd reset the frustration meter to some degree.

The Canucks should be better next year if they make the right moves this offseason.

But I dont know if its a good idea to count on it suddenly becoming a competitive team. More likely it will continue to rely on lights out goaltending to win games, much like the last 7 years.