The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini owes Canuck Nation an explanation.

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

15 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

I thought I was pretty complimentary. I think you're just trying to pick a fight.

What about when JB picked Juolevi over Tkachuk/Sergachev/Keller/Chychrun or when he picked Virtanen over Ehlers/Tkachuk/Sanheim/Fiala/Larkin?

I'll give him a pass for 2016 because that was a historically thin draft. But 2014? It was his first year, he'd been studying this group of players for the whole year with the Bruins and by all accounts he was looking to move up to #1, probably to pick Ekblad. Florida asked for Horvat + 6 for +1, which Benning refused. Obviously, Benning was right to refuse that trade we'd be setback majorly by a move like that. 

That's what I mean by good, not great. If he was great, he would've nailed those picks like Yzerman/Sakic. Virtanen will be out of the league soon and Juolevi is probably a #4 or #5 guy, hopefully he can be a #3. If he turns out to be a #3, I'll revise my statement and say it was a decent pick. But Virtanen? I mean he never had the hockey sense but he was a solid hitter and he skated well. I remember seeing Brian Burke on Sportsnet talking about how the first thing you do when drafting a player is evaluating his skater, then his hockey sense. As you may know, size doesn't matter as much as it used to. Our team could really use a top six forward like Tkachuk or Ehlers. In fact, we would've been a playoff contender this year with one of those guys.

If we woulda taken any of those players over JV or Jouveli we probably dont have quinn and petey tho.

11 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Canuck's Nation & Season Ticket Holders demand ownership step up in front of the microphone at a news conference and explain what the game plan is and answer all questions from reporters.   It's been 7 years now with JB & Co. and we're right back at square one - actually much worse this year than back then.  The cycle of excuses and attempted distractions from JB's incompetence, like hiring Trevor and the chatter now about hiring the Sedins/Courtnall doesn't cut-it. We know that's all smoke and mirrors.  Jim Benning Has Failed this franchise and should be removed NOW!

WE (Canuck's Nation & Season Ticket Holders) WAN'T TO KNOW WHAT THE GAME PLAN IS GOING FORWARD   Be a Man Francesco and step up to the podium and answer for these sins!

No, he really doesn't!

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

If we woulda taken any of those players over JV or Jouveli we probably dont have quinn and petey tho.

That doesn't mean those were good selections.

It's like saying that Pettersson was a bad pick because he prevented us from picking higher in 2019.

I like Aquaman's backbone and say to the fans, Jim Benning is what I want.  There is a reason why he wants Benning to stay is because of drafting and he obeyed to my wishes by staying competitive since he was hired in 2014.  If he told Aquaman that this team is not good enough, he wouldn't be hired because there was a leftover of 2011 finalist at that time.  Benning believed in this team and would give them every opportunity to remain competitive while rebuilding the  prospect pool.   In despite of losing and pressure by fanbase, he obeyed the owner's wishes and tried his best and he rewarded Benning with a longer tenure as a GM that other GMs would not get any opportunity because their average stay as a GM is about 3-4 years.  The longer the management stay, the likelihood that the stability of the management team will as a team to maintain their growth without rash decisions that new GM tend to go.  That is the way I'm looking at it.  It takes 7-8 years to make a complete roster turnover from the Sedin's era to current era.  This upcoming draft is Benning's 7th year for as long as he continue to find gems in the draft, this will become a powerhouse team for a long time when compared to other team's drafting and how many each team has hit gems.  With Benning history as a drafter comparing to his peer, he has hit more gems than other in the history of the league and this is a undisputed fact.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I like Aquaman's backbone and say to the fans, Jim Benning is what I want.  There is a reason why he wants Benning to stay is because of drafting and he obeyed to my wishes by staying competitive since he was hired in 2014.  If he told Aquaman that this team is not good enough, he wouldn't be hired because there was a leftover of 2011 finalist at that time.  Benning believed in this team and would give them every opportunity to remain competitive while rebuilding the  prospect pool.   In despite of losing and pressure by fanbase, he obeyed the owner's wishes and tried his best and he rewarded Benning with a longer tenure as a GM that other GMs would not get any opportunity because their average stay as a GM is about 3-4 years.  The longer the management stay, the likelihood that the stability of the management team will as a team to maintain their growth without rash decisions that new GM tend to go.  That is the way I'm looking at it.  It takes 7-8 years to make a complete roster turnover from the Sedin's era to current era.  This upcoming draft is Benning's 7th year for as long as he continue to find gems in the draft, this will become a powerhouse team for a long time when compared to other team's drafting and how many each team has hit gems.  With Benning history as a drafter comparing to his peer, he has hit more gems than other in the history of the league and this is a undisputed fact.

Huh. Compared to his peers or any other gm in history, he found more gems. Sam pollock says hi. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

This is either incredible satire or I've found Jimbo's sock puppet account.

Edited by Intoewsables
  • RoughGame 1

6 hours ago, TheCammer said:

Well Fred, I doubt very much that Karen and I are in the same grade since I've been watching Canucks hockey since 1971. I am merely referencing a term for those that feel they can demand change in this fashion. Social media rants and message boards will have the effect of the square root of "F" all, It's his business to run. If Karen  doesn't like it don't buy tickets, don't watch games and stop buying jerseys, trinkets and fluffy Canucks slippers. Stop spending times on these boards which build web impressions the team then sells to partners. But for god's sakes stop the incessant whining. My response that you clearly determined childish (as if I was still in Grade school) was terse and quick to the point because his argument was like that of a petulant child that had his toy taken away. It got the response it warranted

Am I pleased with this season? No. Damn glad I didn't have to pay for my seasons' tickets. Did I expect they might make a GM change? 50/50 I think there are pros and cons for JB and the cons side is growing with a huge setback from last year and the BubbleDome. However, in the light of everything going on today it's pretty high on the trivial and meaningless list. Given a litany of reasons I've chosen to give them a free pass this year. Same results next year and I'll join Karen in the March on Rogers Arena.                                                                        

PS. When taking a shot at someone for their grade/education you tarnish the effect by  spelling a simple word like "chance" incorrectly. 

Cheers Fred65!!!

That was a good post, I guess I'm just unwilling to lie dormant while things are stbbornly in teh s**t cart. As to chance ( I just did it a gain) I do it every time one hand is quicker than the other, some times I correct it but most time, I can't be bothered. Frankly improving things is just my idiosyncrasy, I see no point to settle for a lessor, serves no purpose

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

The butterfly effect?

Who knows.  The team could have done better, worse, or the same.  Maybe even signing different UFAs.  Also, the development of the players may not be the same trajectory in Vancouver cuz different coaches and systems. 

9 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Thats not necessarily true though. We got EP and still managed to get Hughes. I dont think a couple of better players for two years earlier would have fixed all the problems this team had. Its not even assured they would have been given a significant role right away like they were on the teams that drafted them.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, coolboarder said:

A few good picks don't make up for the flops he picked and ALL the bad trades and tons of terrible signings he made. Not to mention signing Lazy Jake instead of TT last season (who had 11 times Jakes output) for just $1.5M more.......  and letting nearly all our Assets simply walk out the door (year after year) on expired contract instead of trading them for something/anything before hand.  He even screwed that up with Tryamkin last month by not trading his signing rights to Arizona who wanted him and we lost that guy too - for nothing!

Get the point.  Uncle Jim is NOT the second coming of Christ.  He is in fact an ineffective GM with 7 years of team failure on his hands and MUST be replaced!

• RoughGame 1

21 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

EDM looks like night and day from when they had Chia running the show. Goes to show what a great GM will do for an organization. Aquas need to open up their wallets and hire the right guys. 

EDM is also better because Drsaistl turned into one of the best C's in the league, McDavid as expected, got better with time, Nurse is turning into a excellent number one, and they finally are hitting on picks past the first round, better support players coming in, and this season adding Barrie took the point game to another level (which of course isn't Chia).     Remember EDM had a run similar to what we had and hit a wall with ANA (a contender at the time).     Yes CHIA did some bad things too, but some of his work is still helping EDM now.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

EDM is also better because Drsaistl turned into one of the best C's in the league, McDavid as expected, got better with time, Nurse is turning into a excellent number one, and they finally are hitting on picks past the first round, better support players coming in, and this season adding Barrie took the point game to another level (which of course isn't Chia).     Remember EDM had a run similar to what we had and hit a wall with ANA (a contender at the time).     Yes CHIA did some bad things too, but some of his work is still helping EDM now.  

their playoffs are going to live and die with Smith. WPG can force EDM to play a more defensive game, and Smith will be leaned on even more. We'll see if he chokes but he didn't look great in game 1. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Hughes was a no brainer where they picked him. Boeser too was a consensus pick in that range.

Petterssen was a clear homerun for sure. 

Hoglander I cant recall where most analysts had him projected to go tbh. 

If it's that easy, why did Gillis fail so miserably at it?

• Cheers 1