The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini owes Canuck Nation an explanation.

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Every consumer business is that way though.  Considering they sell out most games, I'd say he doesn't have much to worry about.  I think most people think he's a good owner and the team is moving forward and are happy to support them.

Good point, I like him as owner (as well) cause he is also a fan of the team - hope they can balance there approach in the offseason to not mortgage the future too much to appease the present cause as we had experienced, it has taken the team, awhile to transition from that Gillis era due his to poor drafting (would rather avoid the mistakes during Gillis tenure - especially, with the flat cap - and I hope Aquaman has learned something from it as well); good thing, we had JBs' drafting to atleast have something from being one of the worst team in the NHL during JB & Greens tenure.

Been a fan since the 80's and this offseason with this young core will make this (one of the most) important offseason in a long time.

79C2F4D9-30AC-4D3A-96A8-C5677D72DD47.png.d594f981d066e294d2074d3b84f34456.png

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, awalk said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/peoples-show/thomas-drance-can-canucks-sell-vision-fans-players/

At around the 7minute mark they discuss how Holtby's contract is so back-loaded that he is likely a buyout candidate vs an asset after this season

Why would he be bought out? Seattle may or may not claim him. And if they don't, he is still serviceable. I would think there are better buyout candidates than him.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Why would he be bought out? Seattle may or may not claim him. And if they don't, he is still serviceable. I would think there are better buyout candidates than him.

Holtby easily has the most buyout-friendly contract of the buyout candidates on the team.

He was terrible last season, he's currently a liability at his cap hit.

11 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

They don't count that.  They refer to the period PRIOR to.  Like every team has to beast through every season or it doesn't count.  It doesn't fit the narrative of how bad it all is.

People who have decided and that's it.  Ignore the facts, reasons are "excuses".  I don't even know if they watch the games, truth be told.  I highly doubt it for some...they never come and join us in the GDT's.  When we lose they show up AFTER the fact.

For the zillionth time..I do get some frustration that's set in.  But my God, I've seen it a whole lot worse...be careful what you wish for.

I agree. They only crawl out of the darkest, creepiest holes to smear and create absolute garbage. 

• Cheers 4

2 hours ago, Josepho said:

Holtby easily has the most buyout-friendly contract of the buyout candidates on the team.

He was terrible last season, he's currently a liability at his cap hit.

He had a slow start but save for the last game he was actually pretty decent. 

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

He had a slow start but save for the last game he was actually pretty decent. 

He had a .900 or below SV% in 13/21 games, and had terrible goals saved above expected numbers.

You can find any cheap backup to do these things.

1 minute ago, Josepho said:

He had a .900 or below SV% in 13/21 games, and had terrible goals saved above expected numbers.

You can find any cheap backup to do these things.

The cheap backup could be worse, he was getting shelled at times. This is where just watching the stat sheet is risky 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

The cheap backup could be worse, he was getting shelled at times. This is where just watching the stat sheet is risky 

Goals saved above/below expectation is a stat based on the quality of shots against. The defence is definitely put into account here.

For what it's worth, Holtby also put up awful numbers in his last year in Washington and was clearly declining before coming here.

Even if the cheap backup is worse, the $2-3M difference mitigates it. And I don't think a guy like Rittich/Raanta/Mrazek would even be worse.

Edited by Josepho
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Josepho said:

Goals saved above/below expectation is a stat based on the quality of shots against. The defence is definitely put into account here.

For what it's worth, Holtby also put up awful numbers in his last year in Washington and was clearly declining before coming here.

Even if the cheap backup is worse, the $2-3M difference mitigates it. And I don't think a guy like Rittich/Raanta/Mrazek would even be worse.

When the defense played well, he looked good.  When the defense didn't he looked bad.  Bringing in an ECHL quality sieve in Rittich definitely won't help though.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

When the defense played well, he looked good.  When the defense didn't he looked bad.  Bringing in an ECHL quality sieve in Rittich definitely won't help though.

It will help free up cap space to do other stuff with.

Just now, Josepho said:

It will help free up cap space to do other stuff with.

Might as well just ride it out for another year and let it expire with the rest of the dead cap instead of letting Rittich destroy our young defensemen's confidence due to him not even good enough to play in the AHL.   We'd be better off signing Ayers.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Might as well just ride it out for another year and let it expire with the rest of the dead cap instead of letting Rittich destroy our young defensemen's confidence due to him not even good enough to play in the AHL.   We'd be better off signing Ayers.

Rittich has comparable numbers to Holtby over the last two years.

16 hours ago, stawns said:

I couldn't stand Gillis, but I have always given him credit for finding the right pieces to add to Burke/Nonis' core.  I appreciate they were in their window and you have to take the shot, but combined with his (in)ability to find NHL players in the draft completely decimated the organization.  

Many couldn't stand Gillis, which in my mind is irrational if you think, if success is the measure of a GM, because he had success unparalleled in the franchises history. BUT his drafting and sorting out the scouting was a failure. He had admitted as much and said he had decided on a revamp of the department far to late, he admitted this during a radio interview. He had a degree of arrogance but I put it down to he didn't suffer fools lightly and if we're honest that covers a lot of folks :lol:  He didn't become a GM dedicated to winning over the fans (much like Benning rarely speaks to the public. Lets be honest if you banned Benning from saying "you know" he's be speechless) but personally I enjoyed listening to MG, he was intelligent and logical which I like. He was a 1st round pick in the draft, could play the game and likely the smartest GM we've had ( plus Quinn ) both lawyers and Gillis an associate Prof at U.Vic and that is a reason some don't like him ...including FA .... the man was just too smart.

I'm sure he will have to down the road at sometime when he finally realizes he made a mistake, and the Canucks just aren't good enough, they could be better but they'd rather stick with mediocre boring hockey, not a good thing to do with a new team coming in just a couple hours away.