The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks end of season player media availability

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I can see both Edler and Sutter re-signing, and them missing the boat on Hamonic.

They'll most likely overpay Edler, because he's been here forever and ownership gets terribly sentimental. My guess is 2 years x $4. I know, ridiculous. But Benning isn't afraid to pay top dollar for a declining veteran. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, FaninMex said:

No, the rebuild is not done. We have the key pieces and we have many contracts coming off the books this year and the next two. We are in the sanding and polish stage.

The rebuild is not done until they get a true #1 dman that can play big minutes in all situations at both ends of the ice. 

I know people love Hughes but he is not that guy at this point. He is terrible defensively and its not that he cant get better. Its that the way he plays is one way and his offense will likely suffer if he changes the all offense all the time style. He needs a top partner that can allow him to be mediocre defensively as he figures things out.

I actually like Rathbone's overall game better than Hughes. If he can bring that consistently as he improves, he will be a good player.

I think the only way to get a true #1 is through the draft though. 

Surprised that players are saying that Baumgartner is a great coach. Is setting a league record for shots against in a season an accomplishment? How can they be proud of the predictable and porous way the team plays defense? 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

What platform was used for these videos?  They're only showing as large black rectangles for me.  Youtube videos embedded in posts here show the controls and a freeze frame of the video; these aren't showing on your 2nd post so I'm trying to figure out why... :wacko:

These are from Canucks.com. I think it may because of the internet connection and the page hasn't fully loaded yet. Maybe try refreshing the page and wait for a few seconds to see if they appear.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Alain Vigneault said:

My dream was to watch a competitive Vancouver Canucks hockey team after being sold on the retool 7 years ago.

Dreams change, unfortunately.

Hope this helps.

We have quotes of Petey saying he's always dreamed of playing in Vancouver and this is where he wants to play. What do you have?

Until you can present any factual evidence to the contrary, you have nothing!

Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

I don’t disagree Bree but as a pro I’m sure his attitude is “if you want my job, come and take it from me.”  I don’t mind him back in a more limited role, maybe take some minutes when his replacement struggles or when injuries hit the club.

I want to ice the best line up next year. If that means Edler at 6d with 6D money, so be it. If Rathbone takes his spot, then so be it. 

There's always injuries in a season and having 7 NHL calibre defensemen will be good. 

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Anything over 2M is an overpayment at this stage in both Edler's career and the Canucks trajectory. 

I'd be okay with Edler getting 2.5, but that said, I would want it to be a bonus laden contract that gets him there, not just a flat 2.5 million.

Sutter, I would probably happily take back on a 1 year deal for 1.75 million, again with some bonuses that bring him to that.

• Vintage 1