The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks end of season player media availability

Rate this topic

49 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Not at the moment. But let's see in the next month or so. ;) 

Any other poster and I would be laughing, Louie has proven a willingness to cash paycheques, ride pine, warm the press box and basically do anything except play well or retire. If Vintage says it’s possible then I believe!!  This team could look very different if Seattle takes Holtby (Mikey D makes an inexpensive replacement) and Louie retires. That’s an extra 10 million. I have to think that sexual assault should qualify for canceling a contract. On top of Ferland and potentially Beagle we would have some flexibility. Not sure what’s available but opens some doors up. 

4 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Here's what I'm hoping for...

$1.0M AAV plus bonuses for game played, minutes per game played, and 100th career goal.  Structure bonuses so the maximum cap exposure <$2.0M per year.  Otherwise, he has no place on the Canucks (if the decision were up to me).  I could care less about the "feel good" story associated with having Edler back.

I have a feeling Sutter is back next season with a 2 year contract in hand.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's going to be signed for $2.0M AAV, with Sutter filling in for Beagle's $3.0M cap hit.  So even though Sutter may be at $2.0M, his cap hit will be Beagle's $3.0M for 2021-22.

Is Beagle not coming back? 

Is his injury that serious? 

1 hour ago, Dannydog said:

I disagree kind or hardheaded. For me the fear of Eddy coming back next year is that greener will play him those 18-22 min per game . He cannot play those mins effectively any more. Rathbone and Olli need next year to show they can and also need those mins to grow for our future. From what they've shown this year there's a very good chance playing both can cover Eddys min with the addition of UFA stay at home RHD .

It all depends on pk time.  OJ can play PK, but other than that it's Eddie, Myers and Hamonic .

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Is Beagle not coming back? 

Is his injury that serious? 

Word on the street is that Beagle's injury may keep him out for all of next season...can't confirm or deny it, so I'm as in the know as you are.  FYI, I'm just repeating what I've heard from unsubstantiated commentary made already.

Posted (edited)

When Edler was out for a while this season the team really missed him on the PK.  I think Edler playing around 14 minutes including PK could be very useful on the back end.  And I certainly wouldn't mind him in that role.  Any more time than that and I think he gets exposed. Of course, they would pay him half or less of what he makes now.  

As for changes on the back end, would only the addition of Rathbone and OJ make them much better?  I'd like to think that both of them could improve a lot over a full season but that's a bit of a wild card.  As for other possible changes, I'm happy with Schmidt and think he'd have a better year.  Hamonic is pretty good but Benning may try an upgrade.  I'd like to think that Hamonic could be had at a bargain price so given cap constraints, maybe that's all they do on the back end and they wait for another year for the real upgrade if needs be.

Hughes (5.5?) Hamonic (2.0?)

Rathbone (0.925) Schmidt (5.9)

Edler (2.5?) Myers (6.0)

OJ (1.0?) Chatfield (0.925?)

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Zhukini said:

What? The rebuild is done. There should be no more talk of rebuilding until Petey and Hughes are in their 30's. This wasn't a rebuilding year this was a below average roster that got no breaks at all from start to finish this year, and finished slightly worse off than they actually are. 

It's about finding the guy to plug in the holes to surround the key pieces with players who actually contribute. Is Jim the guy? He better be or the fire Benning chants will be loud with a packed house next season. 

We over committed last year.  

I never liked acquiring Miller or Tofolli. I have an elbow for guys who both cheered on those moves? And blame Jim for not tanking well enough this year.  There are lots who rode both sides of the fence. I would have kept those young assets we paid for them.  

That said? I agree. Rebuild is over.  To me three things undid our year. 

1) Poor start, mostly, just my opinion, from having Hamonic on the shelf 10 or 11 of the 1st dozen games.  We needed a quality RHD to play with Hughes. Drew banks without him. Then? When expectations were low. We played better & won ''too many'' games with him back.  To me, he was pivotal.

2) Petey going down.  Look at Dallas without Seguin; lose your top pivot? Look what happens.

3) Covid.

So we take a top 10 draft pick.  Play as well as the competitive version of our team this year, next..  Scrape in to the play offs. Maybe a tad better if Podkolzin does well. Otherwise we wont be better, or worse!

2022/23 we should be killer.  Our young guns all coming in to their prime. A ton of cap space, the ghost of Luongo recapture & Loui two Eriksson behind us...

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, bree2 said:

Edler has been a great defenseman for the Canucks, but he is now 35 years old and he has slowed down a lot. whether it be Edler or some other player getting up there in age and slowing down, i find it kind of selfish to want to take a young guys spot, where they have to wait another  year or two when they are ready now. time to hang them up and give the young guys a chance!

I'd really like to see Alex back next year.  To me having a 35 year old Edler as our 3rd pair LHD. And to kill some penalties?

Would be perfect

Hamonic back as well.  Travis a raise, Alex a haircut. To me fair is $3.5 Hamonic, $3 mill Edler. As long as we don't add to cap cost to keep them. This just a bit lower.

11 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

When Edler was out for a while this season the team really missed him on the PK.  I think Edler playing around 14 minutes including PK could be very useful on the back end.  And I certainly wouldn't mind him in that role.  Any more time than that and I think he gets exposed. Of course, they would pay him half or less of what he makes now.  

As for changes on the back end, would only the addition of Rathbone and OJ make them much better?  I'd like to think that both of them could improve a lot over a full season but that's a bit of a wild card.  As for other possible changes, I'm happy with Schultz and think he'd have a better year.  Hamonic is pretty good but Benning may try an upgrade.  I'd like to think that Hamonic could be had at a bargain price so given cap constraints, maybe that's all they do on the back end and they wait for another year for the real upgrade if needs be.

Hughes (5.5?) Hamonic (2.0?)

Rathbone (0.925) Schultz (5.9)

Edler (2.5?) Myers (6.0)

OJ (1.0?) Chatfield (0.925?)

So the exact same D as this year…..is this really the right way to go?

Because Gaudette did not work out?  Because Beagle is apparently hurt. Bad? And we don't have an heir apparent for either, nor Sutter...

I'd like to Brandon Sutter back.  $2.5 mill, $3.0 mill?  I am sure many won't agree. 

He says he wants to be here, we need another defensive pivot! Particularly in Green's deployments. And Green is staying. 

Sutter, cough, I would not have said so 6 months ago?

Is a no brainer to re-sign.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I hear what you are saying!

I don't think Edler, nor Hamonic were our problem. Schmidt, not because he is bad?  Because he played on his off side was not as dynamic as many expected. 

We could pass on signing Edler. I suppose it would create cap space for a RHD?  And Schmidt could play left side 2knd pair. And spend on that alternate solution. But I think he will come in at a value cap, and be worth having. Hamonic is must re-sign IMO. Too many bad contracts limited some quality depth was the real problem this year. So?

I am hoping we lose a salary, maybe Roussel? To Seattle.  Move Jake's salary. Buyout the last year of Eriksson. We do clear Spooner. We do clear Baertschi. 

I think then there will be room for a defensive infusion. I agree our D does need something.

I also believe next will be a transition year.  So no harm, in fact I would not support going all in to ''fix it?'' Even though I agree. 

2022/23!!!   

22 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I agree the D is an issue but bigger picture, Petey and Hughes need to be re-signed first, then they have to decide what else they are going to do.  There are clearly a lot of questions to be answered and everything they would like to do, they might not be able to. 

TBH Bennings history would indicate that they bring in a 2nd pair LHD instead of going with growth from rookies

4 hours ago, Dannydog said:

I disagree kind or hardheaded. For me the fear of Eddy coming back next year is that greener will play him those 18-22 min per game . He cannot play those mins effectively any more. Rathbone and Olli need next year to show they can and also need those mins to grow for our future. From what they've shown this year there's a very good chance playing both can cover Eddys min with the addition of UFA stay at home RHD .

Young players play with Green. Hughes, Boeser, Pettersson, Hoglander..., all earned their minutes! Juolevi and Rathbone?

As long as they out play veterans.  

In a perfect world?  Edler re-signs at a cap to be 5/6 LHD.  Juolevi or Rathbone make Alex our 6, 7 or 8th D.

• Hydration 1

22 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Lol....when players don't publicly come out and say they support the coaches/management the haters/media assume they don't support them.

When players do come out and publicly support coaches/management the haters/media say, "Do you expect them to publicly speak against the team?"

when these players come out and support this staff, I question the players ability to judge

Horvat has played for Wonkie WIllie and Green, how could he possibly know what a good coach is

Bo also supported the players, I gues a 0 point bottom six is acceptable

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, lmm said:

when these players come out and support this staff, I question the players ability to judge

Horvat has played for Wonkie WIllie and Green, how could he possibly know what a good coach is

Bo also supported the players, I gues a 0 point bottom six is acceptable

you're right, it's the PLAYERS that are crazy, because YOU'RE definitely right ...

... f***in' ridiculous levels of hubris around here. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lmm said:

Your right,  what would Mark & Dale Hunter know about coaching - likely nothing as you suggest. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

A neutral observer would think I had a NMC - handed out by Jim Benning himself - to take up that much space in your head where, more than 24 hours later, you quote me with that GIF.  Heck, people stopped speaking here for nearly 9 hours.

All of this, and for what?  Calling you a bootlicker?

Animated GIF