The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign Travis Green to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Our defensive structure is a mess. I can’t count how many times the 1st line got hemmed in their own zone for minutes at a time. Goaltending was hit and miss (no disrespect to Demmer as our defence was garbage). Our power play couldn’t score, and people still believe Brown is the man with the plan. Canucks could never consistently maintain pressure in the opposing zone and how many turnovers were there this year, how many odd man rushes did we give up?. The Canucks were a bad team this year. On top of that we had little to no depth on the bottom 6 and had no real supporting guys that could play up and down the lines. You really think Matthew Highmore and Travis Boyd were upgrades on Gaudette ? 

A lot of the issues you mention fall squarely on Brown and Baumgartner. Benning shares some blame for giving Green less than capable personnel, like Vesey. I don't think many folks on here have faith in Brown or Baumgartner. Hughes and Myers sound like they approve of Baumgartner though, so who knows what to make of it. My biggest issue with the team is that there is a seeming lack of identity and consistency. That doesn't fall so much on the players, rather the coaches and management. I guess they're going to have another season to figure it out though. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The Canucks are a middling team. Not one of the worst in the league, but certainly not one of the best. We have a solid young core that's missing a couple of key pieces, and our role players are subpar for the most part, and we generally have decent goaltending. The team has incrementally improved over the last several years (I attribute this to improved personel, not coaching). 

Was the bubble an anomaly? Yes.

Was this season an anomaly? Also yes.

I don't see why this is so difficult for some people.

We are a young developing team with not much cap for another 1-2 seasons.  

Our success will be determined on the youngsters and this next wave(Lind/OJ/Rathbone/Pod/Gadj/etc) won’t be as impactful as quickly as the first wave(Petey/Boeser/Hughes). Gonna be a process the next 1-2 seasons of these youngsters developing and finding their feet at the NHL level. 

Next year especially might be another down year.  

14 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Maybe if he has more than 6 players to work with that can actually play a creative game rather than the deadweight that can only play that dump and chase style.

Very good point. Hopefully this off-season is used to acquire more impactful and less injury prone players. 

14 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Our defensive structure is a mess. I can’t count how many times the 1st line got hemmed in their own zone for minutes at a time. Goaltending was hit and miss (no disrespect to Demmer as our defence was garbage). Our power play couldn’t score, and people still believe Brown is the man with the plan. Canucks could never consistently maintain pressure in the opposing zone and how many turnovers were there this year, how many odd man rushes did we give up?. The Canucks were a bad team this year. On top of that we had little to no depth on the bottom 6 and had no real supporting guys that could play up and down the lines. You really think Matthew Highmore and Travis Boyd were upgrades on Gaudette ? 

He alone might be, give him a few more games to get a better idea there coach! Or are you the GM? 

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Looks like theres some hope for Highmore. And Pearson is not bad. But I agree they are going to have to find someone if Beagle is done, and on the cheap.

Perhaps but IMO Beagle/Motte are our best PKers by a large margin. We have a lot of guys on that cusp though that pan out that sort of PK way. 

Next year will be a huge developmental year. Should be fun to see so many youngsters but we probably gonna go through bumpy year. I can see us drafting top 10 again but next year will be good for a lot of young guys development.

Draft high/develop well would be a win-win season for me next year. 

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

It's called exhaustion.

Go run the Boston marathon, 2 or 3 times in a row without recovery time and see how energetic you're feeling.

Now, does that mean we don't need changes?

Of course not, the whole team needs a tune up on support players, but the support players who have been here, have only been here while waiting for our younger draft picks to develop in college or in Utica, until ready to take over, which some of them, are now.

Part of the issue with our Defense early on, as a team in general, I attribute to the turnover we had over last summer, combined with zero exhibition games and zero practice time for the first 5 or 6 weeks.

The Canucks played the first 16 games in 26 days. The maximum time they had off in between games was 24 hours, often while changing cities. It was 16 games before they got 2 days in a row off. How do you fix or work on systems if you have no practice time AT ALL?

January, they didn't go a single stretch with more than 24 hours off between games, they played 3 sets of back to back.

February, they played the whole month with one break of 2 days off in the middle and one 2 day break at the very end.

March, They had one, 2 day break, the 11th and 12th, other than that, they did not have a single break during that month of more than 24 hours until March 25th.

SO, they played 37 games on THREE 2 day breaks, and a few 24 hour breaks. Then, they had 5 days off and the whole team came down with COVID.

Stop and think about the stats that I just listed off here. Do you remember at the start of their 5 day break, that they had played like 5, in some cases 7 or 8 games more than other teams?

I think a lot of fans on this board, really don't understand what real exhaustion is.

Our defensive stats have been near league bottom for years. Can't blame exhaustion or players. The system itself is a fail 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

But.....different results somehow? 

possibly, not trying to make excuses but not having EP in the lineup for most of the season hurt and going from the covid shut down to playing every other night really didnt help either. having said that, I dont mind green coming back and keeping Clark is a no brainer but I would like to see new assistants brought in.

• Vintage 1