The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign Travis Green to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I think a good question is...

Does anyone support keeping the assistant coaches Baum and Brown?

I don't think I have read a single post in support of retaining them. 

Gotta keep Brown. I love our power play. Gives me a chance to get another beer and take a wizz.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

This is it exactly. If you put @Dumb Nuck or people like this into a group of high ranking people like Gallant, Yzerman, Davidson, Cooper, Brind'Amour, Sakic, Francis, Holland, Trotz, Quenneville, DeBoer, at a hockey symposium and/or coaching clinic and he started going off on Green and speaking like he does here what do those people honestly thing the professional reactions would be? To agree with people like that? I don't think so.

It's hard for me to find work in comp sci, or even drywalling and painting but these guys are smart enough after their day jobs to coach and GM in the NHL, but they just choose not too. Criticizing others at the top of their field is really where true greatness is unveiled. 

I don’t need to be a drywaller to recognize a good drywaller or a bad one, same for painter, cook or coach.

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

Gotta keep Brown. I love our power play. Gives me a chance to get another beer and take a wizz.

The best our PP looked was when Brown was out due to Covid.  We don't even need to hire a replacement to upgrade from Brown; having literally no one do the job was an improvement.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

This is it exactly. If you put @Dumb Nuck or people like this into a group of high ranking people like Gallant, Yzerman, Davidson, Cooper, Brind'Amour, Sakic, Francis, Holland, Trotz, Quenneville, DeBoer, at a hockey symposium and/or coaching clinic and he started going off on Green and speaking like he does here what do those people honestly thing the professional reactions would be? To agree with people like that? I don't think so.

It's hard for me to find work in comp sci, or even drywalling and painting but these guys are smart enough after their day jobs to coach and GM in the NHL, but they just choose not too. Criticizing others at the top of their field is really where true greatness is unveiled. 

Bingo!! It's just straight up craziness! A bunch of selfish / entitled fans who think they are smarter than the people who do this for their career (at the NHL level)...and it's their right (because they're a fan) to dictate how the team is run. And, if not, throw a tantrum like a child, fly banners or protest! Wtf is happening to society?! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

The best our PP looked was when Brown was out due to Covid.  We don't even need to hire a replacement to upgrade from Brown; having literally no one do the job was an improvement.

I don't understand why there is 1 zone entry. There are 3 and I am an amateur.

Drop

Skate

Dump

Read and react. If you can't, Abby awaits.

Just now, Chris12345 said:

I don't understand why there is 1 zone entry. There are 3 and I am an amateur.

Drop

Skate

Dump

Read and react. If you can't, Abby awaits.

Not to mention the fact that no one bothers skating on the rare occasion we do gain entry.  I'm pretty sure Brown draws things up with one of these:

carrom-signature-stick-hockey-game-legs-red1.jpg

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

This is the first thing I thought too reading that post. We looked better when Brown was out

• Cheers 1

Green is an excellent motivator, that cannot be questioned, but he has never shown the ability to ice a team that can forecheck or cycle consistently which are absolute basics of hockey. His systems are simple, predictable and he does not make in game adjustments to them when they aren't working, which is often. His assistants are hopeless.

If Green is staying, experienced coaches need to be brought in to help him learn how to actually run NHL level systems and make adjustments to them when needed. I would rather have Torts back then this coaching staff.

Just now, CanucksJay said:

We could go back further and say we had the the top PP in the league and are president trophy winners? 

why don't you read what the guy said originally before you chime in?

9 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Except the numbers don't back up the assertion that the powerplay has been struggling since Brown took over. It struggled this season absolutely but the entire team struggled in every aspect due to having the most compressed schedule in the league

We seem to end with decent powerplay stats but it seems more often than not we can’t get the big goal we need on the powerplay 

Edited by DeNiro

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Not to mention the fact that no one bothers skating on the rare occasion we do gain entry.  I'm pretty sure Brown draws things up with one of these:

carrom-signature-stick-hockey-game-legs-red1.jpg

Yea I missed something. Skate in and botton hook. If you have a lane attack the net. I don't get it.

Just now, DeNiro said:

We see to end with decent powerplay stats but it seems more often than not we can’t get the big goal we need on the powerplay 

That's on the players not the coach. All coaches can do is teach its the players that have to execute when it matters. Coaches don't score.

• Cheers 1

I know some will spin this as ownership being cheap or bring up the definition of insanity or whatever... 

but it’s actually a really gutsy (and fair/honourable) move to tune out the gripe storm and give this group a proper chance to build on the previous season.  With a training camp.  And fans.  And hopefully no disease tearing through the team. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, FlyLow_ said:

Green is an excellent motivator, that cannot be questioned, but he has never shown the ability to ice a team that can forecheck or cycle consistently which are absolute basics of hockey. His systems are simple, predictable and he does not make in game adjustments to them when they aren't working, which is often. His assistants are hopeless.

If Green is staying, experienced coaches need to be brought in to help him learn how to actually run NHL level systems and make adjustments to them when needed. I would rather have Torts back then this coaching staff.

I wish he would let some of his players play the way that he did when he played.

I remember him as a bit of a tough nut hard worker, would get his nose dirty.

It feel like he sometimes punishes guys for showing emotion.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, 204CanucksFan said:

That's on the players not the coach. All coaches can do is teach its the players that have to execute when it matters. Coaches don't score.

The system is on the coach, and the one Brown is employing is absolutely moronic.  Bad coaching can absolutely handicap a PP, which is what is happening here.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We seem to end with decent powerplay stats but it seems more often than not we can’t get the big goal we need on the powerplay 

if a system works well most of the time but not some others, is that a coaching/systems problem or a personnel/execution issue?

I would certainly lean to the latter. the coaches aren't controlling these guys with PlayStation controllers. 

7 minutes ago, IRR said:

Bingo!! It's just straight up craziness! A bunch of selfish / entitled fans who think they are smarter than the people who do this for their career (at the NHL level)...and it's their right (because they're a fan) to dictate how the team is run. And, if not, throw a tantrum like a child, fly banners or protest! Wtf is happening to society?! 

Nope, problem is woke people who think anyone that thinks differently than them is the enemy and needs to be silenced, that’s what’s really selfish.