The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign Travis Green to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The system is on the coach, and the one Brown is employing is absolutely moronic.  Bad coaching can absolutely handicap a PP, which is what is happening here.

Almost every team in the league uses the drop pass for PP zone entry. The coach teaches the system, which has us with the 8th most PP goals since Brown took over as coach. Not coming up with the big, timely goal to win the game is on the players, they have to come through in those clutch moments not the coaches. All the coach can do is motivate and attempt to adjust game plans on the fly. Players still do the actual playing

• Cheers 1

Just now, 204CanucksFan said:

Almost every team in the league uses the drop pass for PP zone entry. The coach teaches the system, which has us with the 8th most PP goals since Brown took over as coach. Not coming up with the big, timely goal to win the game is on the players, they have to come through in those clutch moments not the coaches. All the coach can do is motivate and attempt to adjust game plans on the fly. Players still do the actual playing

Most coaches don't instruct the players to stay motionless once they gain entry though.  The system isn't working and it's time to hire a qualified assistant coach instead of the clown currently sabotaging the team.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, tas said:

if a system works well most of the time but not some others, is that a coaching/systems problem or a personnel/execution issue?

I would certainly lean to the latter. the coaches aren't controlling these guys with PlayStation controllers. 

When your powerplay becomes predictable throughout a game and the coaches can’t adapt then yes it is on the coaches.

Most teams figure out our powerplay very quickly.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I wish he would let some of his players play the way that he did when he played.

I remember him as a bit of a tough nut hard worker, would get his nose dirty.

It feel like he sometimes punishes guys for showing emotion.

I don't know that I buy into that. Who is going to play that role? We don't really have those kind of players. You can't have 2 guys that sometimes are tough unless actual tough guys are on the ice and expect to have team toughness. This is a pretty small/soft team and that's also a big part of the problem. 

1 minute ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Gotta admit, I was looking for a post that would support keeping Brown....here you are

Every team uses the drop pass but we seem like a one trick pony.

So, are you  saying Green tells Brown how to run the PP? what is the point of a PP coach then? Do they just call out the line changes? 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We seem to end with decent powerplay stats but it seems more often than not we can’t get the big goal we need on the powerplay 

Having Pete out for 30 games didn't help either.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

When your powerplay becomes predictable throughout a game and the coaches can’t adapt then yes it is on the coaches.

Most teams figure out our powerplay very quickly.

execution, not coaching. 

1 minute ago, FlyLow_ said:

I don't know that I buy into that. Who is going to play that role? We don't really have those kind of players. You can't have 2 guys that sometimes are tough unless actual tough guys are on the ice and expect to have team toughness. This is a pretty small/soft team and that's also a big part of the problem. 

I feel he has benched dudes for getting their hands dirty, but maybe that's just me. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Gotta admit, I was looking for a post that would support keeping Brown....here you are

Every team uses the drop pass but we seem like a one trick pony.

So, are you  saying Green tells Brown how to run the PP? what is the point of a PP coach then? Do they just call out the line changes? 

No I'm saying the PP coach teaches the PP systems.

I put my full opinion on the situation regarding Brown in a post on page 13

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Florida is offering him big money?  

Was thinking the same... Bob obviously isn't trusted by coach Q... And they have Bob on the books for many more years... What a mess.  I'm sure Florida's offering Clark a blank check and saying whatever it takes!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Was thinking the same... Bob obviously isn't trusted by coach Q... And they have Bob on the books for many more years... What a mess.  I'm sure Florida's offering Clark a blank check and saying whatever it takes!!!

Florida has 20 year old Spencer Knight too.  Clarke works his magic getting goalie Bob back to top play, while developing Knight.  Big money offer.  Live in FLA.  Retire there.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Florida has 20 year old Spencer Knight too.  Clarke works his magic getting goalie Bob back to top play, while developing Knight.  Big money offer.  Live in FLA.  Retire there.  

Yah... If he leaves... Then I thinks it's to Florida for sure.  I'll be worried for Demko of he does.  Seems as soon as Clark moves on, the goalies he coached fall apart!!  I'm generally pretty level headed about most moves when it comes to this team but this one I've been worried about for a while... Dave Chappelle Help GIF

1 minute ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Yah... If he leaves... Then I thinks it's to Florida for sure.  I'll be worried for Demko of he does.  Seems as soon as Clark moves on, the goalies he coached fall apart!!  I'm generally pretty level headed about most moves when it comes to this team but this one I've been worried about for a while... Dave Chappelle Help GIF

I think we still have Cloutier in the organization.  But he doesn’t exactly breed confidence.  

• Cheers 1