The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign Travis Green to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I don't think Green minds his players getting in a scrap at all?  Bad penalties, different story! He has consistently played some trouble makers; Roussel for example.

Green was a high flyer & a scorer in junior.  Wanted to be ''that guy'' again when he arrived in the NHL. But just was not good enough. 

He would tell you that Al Arbour beat coached him. Sometimes kicking & scratching to a successful career? He had to learn how to check, train, compete like a pro, PK, play defense. Just to stay in the NHL? And it started with letting him know that Travis needed an attitude adjustment. He also mentioned Abour gave him a lot of rope when he started to learn these attributes.

I liked some of his interviews regarding our players. Jake for example? He was going to have them earn it!  

Good post.   Early on I wasn't sure about Travis Green.   Research goes a long way into getting to know a topic better and when i found out how he approached his AHL job and how cerebral he was it built some confidence.  Hardest working also came up.   Watching the games and writing down by hand zone entries and exits with his staff (ECHL-AHL) before it was even a thing popped out for me too.   Seems to let some players have more rope then others, but he's the one reading the room and trying to win.    Which is one thing i like about him too.   Not trying to "gain playoff experience" but win.    

Best thing about keeping JB and TG for now is continuity and showing faith to the team, which for sure they are both big parts of, that they can win together which i do believe will happen.   Next season 70/30 if i had to put odds on it.   We play well against central division teams, and our own division Cali teams aren't ready yet (LA), or have fallen off or about to fall off cliffs (ANA and SJ).   Seattle worries me.   They have more opportunity then Vegas had with covid and essentially adding 3% more cap to the league.    Hopefully GMs stick to their word and say they've learned lessons, but some teams will for sure end up paying to dump players because they simply have too (TB)...possibly even us depending on JV and Beagle mostly.    

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Pears said:

Better be getting Green some competent assistants then. 

This better be the case, if they bring back everyone. the D is still going to suck and the PP will be the same redundant N. Brown 1 trick pony plan, recipe for success no doubt!

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 1

9 minutes ago, c00kies said:

I think we're still getting by with skill rather than plays on the powerplay. Our powerplay is missing a threat from the blue line (Hughes isn't a threat to shoot) which would give us much more room to work with.

QHs scored 8 goals in 68 games his rookie year.    Not too shabby, should have reached 10-11 over a full year.  

I agree though.   We need a bomb from the point like Aucion.   Don't see that in our current team.   Myers and Edler are/were about the same - Myers with the edge on shooting percentage but pretty equitable.   In other words not bad but not good enough either.    Salo and Jovo could score goals.   We need a bomb like that.   That said IF QHs can get into the double digits that would suffice compared to most of the D's we've had in the past playing that role.  

Hope we pick a D this year that can play the R side and deliver a bomb.  

Really though it's more about BB and EP.   They are our shooters and elect to pass and make the fancy play too often. At least when Myers gets his 20 seconds he skates it up, gains the zone and hits the net most times.   Adding Podz might help create a better second unit, would love to see that one click.   Myers is underutilized but mostly because look at who's on that unit.   Hogs and Podz bring two more weapons to alter the first unit and give it a different look.   Need to try that as well.   Pearson... well he did score but wow shouldn't be on the first PP...

• Cheers 3

We had such a good year they decided to do it all again?    Well, Clark may not be back so we may see a drop in goal tending.

I was hoping that they would put a real president in place. Maybe replace Weisbrod .

I guess Jim will be given the purse stings for another year. Can't wait to see how this goes.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 1

Terrible decision but make sense.. we are still "rebuilding" after all and will be rebuilding still for years to come apparently. Time to watch another 82 games of giving up as much shot as possible with no defensive structure and pass pass puck from opponents blue line back to our zone and start the rush all over again powerplay for many more years to come

• RoughGame 1

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Terrible decision but make sense.. we are still "rebuilding" after all and will be rebuilding still for years to come apparently. Time to watch another 82 games of giving up as much shot as possible with no defensive structure and pass pass puck from opponents blue line back to our zone and start the rush all over again powerplay for many more years to come

Hope your wrong, but it sounds about right...sadly

• RoughGame 1

12 hours ago, stawns said:

Good riddance I say.  People like that are more fans of Twitter than they the team

Best thing we can do is send them to Seattle, the Krak don't know what they're in for :lol:

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

We get a high pick this draft to add to the group of young guys, right?  Next year we are back in the playoffs.

High pick to add to the group? Sure in like 3-5 years and more than likely another one of those we expect them to be a top 6 or top pairing player and reality they are just a bottom 6 bottom pairing guy. If we make the playoff next year its only coz its a terrible division.. and literally every single team outside of Vegas and edmonton is going to be rebuilding or retooling and just a matter of what stage they are in. don't kid urself and actually think we are really a playoff team... hell I wouldn't be surprise if kraken finish ahead of us in the standing depending on how they do on the expansion draft 

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 2

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

High pick to add to the group? Sure in like 3-5 years and more than likely another one of those we expect them to be a top 6 or top pairing player and reality they are just a bottom 6 bottom pairing guy. If we make the playoff next year its only coz its a terrible division.. and literally every single team outside of Vegas and edmonton is going to be rebuilding or retooling and just a matter of what stage they are in. don't kid urself and actually think we are really a playoff team... hell I wouldn't be surprise if kraken finish ahead of us in the standing depending on how they do on the expansion draft 

is that how it's gone so far in benning's tenure?

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

The young guys we are drafting now, will be important players (on ELCs) as they come into the lineup.  This pipeline of young guys allow us to build a really good supporting cast, while paying fair salaries to the core.  This is how a team has sustained winning.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The young guys we are drafting now, will be important players (on ELCs) as they come into the lineup.  This pipeline of young guys allow us to build a really good supporting cast, while paying fair salaries to the core.  This is how a team has sustained winning.  

We just don't know what the draft will bring us. Even Hoglanders coach didn't know if he was ready for the NHL. If we land a guy who's been playing in the SHL this year we may get another positive surprise at training camp. 

Adding Podkolzin will be huge for the middle 6 next season especially if he can be a 15/15 guy and his stellar defensive game transfers over to the NHL. It's still not even close to being enough because Bo was totally right in his presser yesterday, that the Canucks clearly dont have enough scoring depth down the lineup and that needs to be addressed asap or next season will be more of the same. Sutter, Roussel, Beagle, and all these pricy vets are good defensively and on the PK, sure, but don't score enough goals and generate enough chances. It's not acceptable and when your captain is calling out management it sends a message that the team isn't constructed well enough for sustained success.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

We just don't know what the draft will bring us. Even Hoglanders coach didn't know if he was ready for the NHL. If we land a guy who's been playing in the SHL this year we may get another positive surprise at training camp. 

The picks that JB is/has made over the last couple of years are coming into a much stronger and deeper org. They will have to compete harder both in the AHL and with the Canucks if they make it. Bottom line is that their teammates are also better which should improve everyone’s development. 

IMHO the Canucks are entering an era where JB will have much better player options in development time and in potential trades. I cannot remember a better time in the team’s history.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Although I don't entirely disagree with you I do feel like that's the easy way out.

COVID did have a significant impact but why did they get slaughtered by Montreal at the start of the year?

I don’t think it’s a matter of an easy way out or not, it just is what it is. Nothing was normal.

I don’t know what the heck happened at the start of the year tbh. But i don’t think it was a lack of effort or trying to lose or what ever else people were staying. For whatever reason they just kept making mistakes, give aways etc. Looked like everyone was new out there. We couldn’t adjust as quickly as other teams with no camp, limited ice time etc.

So many variable when I look at the season as a whole. I can’t just tie a bow around it and blame everyone.

• Cheers 1

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Report] Canucks sign Travis Green to contract extension
19 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The sentence "Working on the rest of the coaching staff" makes me nauseous. 

Irfaan Gaffar makes me nauseous.  Best thing about the Canucks broadcasts this season was that we didn't need to be witness to his stuttering, bumbling interviews.