The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign Travis Green to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

14 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I don’t need to be a drywaller to recognize a good drywaller or a bad one, same for painter, cook or coach.

absolutely horrible analogy = as weak/bad as they come.

A drywaller - is a one to one relation - same with a painter.  they install drywall - or paint drywall - and the results are a simple one to one correlation - one dimensional.  The only real variables there are paint quality, or perhaps ingredients (for a cook)...

A coach has 20 moving parts - human beings to manage/organize/develop systems for - a number of assistants, 20 opponents, an opposing coach and assistants, 2 referees, 2 linesmen, travel, injuries, outbreaks, AHL callups, General Managers making moves/changes...etc, etc.

If you think you can recognize a 'good' or 'bad' coach that simply/easily - you've never played a team sport - and if you have, you seriously lacked perception/awareness - the complexity of a team.

The analogy is just a fail wadr.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So for all the hate for Brown and Baumer, who would you rather have? 

Like for instance, I don't like Brown because I don't think he's gets creative enough with the talent that we have in Petey and Hughes and the skill keeps coming with our younger guys, so I'd like to see a change there too.  But you can't hire personality traits and characteristics, there's no Mr. Creative PP to sign.  So if there's no actual person available that you want to see replacing Brown or Baumer, then you're just shouting at clouds.

Same logic applies to the GM and head coach, who would you rather have in the position that's avaiable?  I'd love to see the suggestions because I think it'd be an intriguing discussion.

Love how some think they know more about coaching than a NHL coach and didn't want Green renewed, yet he's highly respected around the league and teams were ready to interview him if he wasn't renewed. Can he continue to grow, yes, but i also think he's done that. Plus, he has respect / buy in from the players. It doesn't matter how good a coach you have, if you don't have that, it's all for not and i think we've seen that in the past. I'd love to see some of these fans thrown into a NHL coaching position and fold like a cheap lawn chair! 

Edited by IRR
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, snipes2539 said:

So for all the hate for Brown and Baumer, who would you rather have? 

Like for instance, I don't like Brown because I don't think he's gets creative enough with the talent that we have in Petey and Hughes and the skill keeps coming with our younger guys, so I'd like to see a change there too.  But you can't hire personality traits and characteristics, there's no Mr. Creative PP to sign.  So if there's no actual person available that you want to see replacing Brown or Baumer, then you're just shouting at clouds.

Same logic applies to the GM and head coach, who would you rather have in the position that's avaiable?  I'd love to see the suggestions because I think it'd be an intriguing discussion.

Burrows. 

• Like 1

Green with actually competent assistants would fare a lot better. Brown has been coaching the PP for too long and his approach is stale and truncated. Baumgartner, while appreciated by Hughes and Myers, has shown to be limited in the defensive schematics he rolls out. If Green had a more creative and dynamic PP coach, and a more seasoned and tactical defensive coach, he'd be under far less scrutiny. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Burrows. 

Ok, but I said people who are available.  Burrows is signed to a contract with the Canadiens for another couple years so he's not available.  I'm talking about, if you think the re-upping of Brown and Baum was so bad, who; that's available right now, would you rather have had?  

I mean I'd love to poach Jeff Halpern or Rob Zettler out of Tampa Bay, but they not going anywhere.

Would've been nice for them to explore bringing in Gerard Gallant perhaps too.