The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign Travis Green to contract extension

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, awalk said:

Couple more things we could use! 

Whatever complaints, real or imagined, people have about the Aquilini's, they greatly pale in comparison to Bill Wirtz.  I don't pay close enough attention to know whether I want a change in Canucks ownership or not.

Winning the lottery would absolutely be nice for a change.

Just now, Kragar said:

Whatever complaints, real or imagined, people have about the Aquilini's, they greatly pale in comparison to Bill Wirtz.  I don't pay close enough attention to know whether I want a change in Canucks ownership or not.

Oh yeah no owner could ever be as bad as Bill Wirtz.

4 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

lol, our standards sure have dropped if a losing record coach is a must-retains.  The guy has made the playoffs 3/8 times while in the Canucks organization and 1/4 at the NHL level and we need to keep him at all cost?!?

But apparently, it's all Brown and Baumer's fault lol

no, it's the rebuild's fault. the rebuild that everybody here demanded. green was the coach hired to guide the group through its rise, which it is still in the middle of. they built from the ground up, like everyone here demanded, and this is what happens when you build from the ground up. 

green is still clearly the right voice for this team. they play for him. they love him. this group lost a huge chunk of its heart last year, it can't afford to lose another right now. 

• Hydration 1

I think that Green needs a new voice in assistant coaches.  Newell Brown who I did not like how PP ran with skilled players struggling when  compared to 5 on 5 play.   Baumer is one who struggled to be a defensive sound and often goaltender has to bail them out.  It should not be that way so maybe it's time for a new assistant coaches and keep Ian Clark whenever possible.   Players clearly like to play for Green as indicated by their play even when they are fatigued by the compressed schedule over final weeks. I am not a fan of Green's work as of late.  If the management gave him the vote of confidence, we should then support the team as of our own no matter what.

So.....I had some time to kill, so i waded through all 27 pages. The collective angst comes as no surprise, but I am a bit (pleasantly) surprised by the positive reactions. More of those than I expected.

Personally, I wasn't too heavily invested either way. I think people in general overestimate the impact a coach can have on a team. There's usually a "honeymoon" period (remember the "Torts: Best coach ever!" thread.....) but over the course of an entire season, reality always sets in.

The one thing I'll say in Travis' favor is that the players are in his corner. To me, that's huge. I know there is some skepticism about whether players really mean what they say to reporters, but we should bear in mind that as a matter of course, Management holds exit meetings with core players. (if not all of them) You can bet that they asked them those exact same questions about Travis and I have a hard time believing they'd be extending him if the players were not supportive of the decision.

Finally, I'd like to address one thing that I've been seeing quoted as if it was fact for several years on CDC and to be honest, it shows a lack of understanding of how the game is played at a high level. (or any level, for that matter).....

"Dump and chase" is not the Canucks' system, or "style". It's not any team's style.

In 100% of cases, players entering the offensive zone prefer to maintain possession. It's only when they run too high a risk of losing possession, (or if they need a line change) that they make the decision to shoot the puck into the offensive zone and try and retrieve it. Anyone who thinks a player just automatically shoots the puck in, because "that's the system", doesn't really understand systems.

"Dump and chase" is a strategy and it's only employed when the situation dictates. This is the same for all NHL teams....all AHL teams.....all KHL teams, etc. etc....

I'd be fine if Brown or Baumer were replaced, but TBH, I doubt that it's happening and I'm certainly not going to write off the team based on an aberrational season....

• Like 3
  • Hydration 1

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

So.....I had some time to kill, so i waded through all 27 pages. The collective angst comes as no surprise, but I am a bit (pleasantly) surprised by the positive reactions. More of those than I expected.

Personally, I wasn't too heavily invested either way. I think people in general overestimate the impact a coach can have on a team. There's usually a "honeymoon" period (remember the "Torts: Best coach ever!" thread.....) but over the course of an entire season, reality always sets in.

The one thing I'll say in Travis' favor is that the players are in his corner. To me, that's huge. I know there is some skepticism about whether players really mean what they say to reporters, but we should bear in mind that as a matter of course, Management holds exit meetings with core players. (if not all of them) You can bet that they asked them those exact same questions about Travis and I have a hard time believing they'd be extending him if the players were not supportive of the decision.

Finally, I'd like to address one thing that I've been seeing quoted as if it was fact for several years on CDC and to be honest, it shows a lack of understanding of how the game is played at a high level. (or any level, for that matter).....

"Dump and chase" is not the Canucks' system, or "style". It's not any team's style.

In 100% of cases, players entering the offensive zone prefer to maintain possession. It's only when they run too high a risk of losing possession, (or if they need a line change) that they make the decision to shoot the puck into the offensive zone and try and retrieve it. Anyone who thinks a player just automatically shoots the puck in, because "that's the system", doesn't really understand systems.

"Dump and chase" is a strategy and it's only employed when the situation dictates. This is the same for all NHL teams....all AHL teams.....all KHL teams, etc. etc....

I'd be fine if Brown or Baumer were replaced, but TBH, I doubt that it's happening and I'm certainly not going to write off the team based on an aberrational season....

Get your logic and reasonableness out of here! This thread is for the crybabies! Many who whine in every thread...ok nvm...they'll just cry wherever...

• Hydration 2

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

Get your logic and reasonableness out of here! This thread is for the crybabies! Many who whine in every thread...ok nvm...they'll just cry wherever...

That's my schtick G....

I wait until the whinging is in full swing.....and then......

Spoiler

Hbo gawker arya GIF - Find on GIFER

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Kragar said:

OMG, these new fans haven't seen anything and never will in regards to Bill Wirth. You want to see a tank, he's Admiral God Tank commander. Also insane and completely off his rocker. He would make these guys put a picture of Francesco on the wall and salute it every morning.

• Hydration 1

2 hours ago, Maginator said:

Are Baumer & Brown's contacts expiring? If I'm not mistaken they were re-signed last off-season, no?

If they are still under contract I don't think there is any way they are leaving.

1 hour ago, sxqhfeh said:

hire twins for pp coach

With Green coming back, I don't see B & B leaving either. I think there's a real possibility that the twins have some input into how to fix the pp. They could recycle the cycle!

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, yes we can nucks said:

With Green coming back, I don't see B & B leaving either. I think there's a real possibility that the twins have some input into how to fix the pp. They could recycle the cycle!

It would be great to see them on the ice with the team going through PP and conditioning work, while doing some general player development stuff with them. Whether it be team bonding events, career advice, or even just talking to these kids. Being around every day would pay huge dividends in my opinion.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Hydration 2

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

OMG, these new fans haven't seen anything and never will in regards to Bill Wirth. You want to see a tank, he's Admiral God Tank commander. Also insane and completely off his rocker. He would make these guys put a picture of Francesco on the wall and salute it every morning.

"Dollar" Bill Wirtz....Harold Ballard....Peter Puck....Bruce McNall.....

People don't realize when they've got it good. We have ownership that are fans and actually care about the win-loss record instead of the profit-loss margin. They generally spend to the Cap and largely let the people they hire do their jobs....

• Hydration 2

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

It would be great to see them on the ice with the team going through PP and conditioning work, while doing some general player development stuff with them. Weather it be team bonding events, career advice, or even just talking to these kids. Being around every day would pay huge dividends in my opinion.

Agreed. They're Canuck legends. The kids will definitely respect what they have to offer.

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

"Dollar" Bill Wirtz....Harold Ballard....Peter Puck....Bruce McNall.....

People don't realize when they've got it good. We have ownership that are fans and actually care about the win-loss record instead of the profit-loss margin. They generally spend to the Cap and largely let the people they hire do their jobs....

Here here brother. I guess that's why some of us just have to shake our heads at the complaints you see these days. In the next gen they'll be able to sue the owners if their team doesn't win the Cup within 5 years. Also applies to newborns if their parents drape them in a team blanket at birth.

• Hydration 1

57 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Harold Ballard was not too shabby at the tank thing either. 

On 5/20/2021 at 1:32 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

Really was hoping if they were keeping Green the rest of the staff minus Clark would be replaced.

Watching another year of a dump and turnover the puck offensive system, a static, lazy drop pass pp, and a passive defensive system with the same players, coaches, and management (sounds like Edler and Sutter will be back too), really doesnt inspire confidence or excitement at all 

Thinking everything they have in place now is working just boggles my mind.

Funny thing is Aqualini saying we will make the playoffs next year while making ZERO changes except maybe not signing our best goalie coach we have had in Ian Clarke. Bring back Edler, Sutter and Baertaschi too so we can pick top 10. Maybe that is the plan, trying to get high picks.

50 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Harold Ballard was not too shabby at the tank thing either. 

I think my favorite example of what a miser Ballard was is many years ago he had a huge battle with the league over putting names on the back of jerseys. (I think Clarence Campbell was the Commish back then)

The league was mandating them, but Ballard was fighting it, because he thought it would cut into his program sales....:rolleyes:

The players seem to have endorsed him so I guess I can live with him for a little while longer, but I still think Brown and Baumgartner (especially) are not producing positive results . Where is Larry Robinson working these days ?