The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign Travis Green to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

It is 2 years per Rintoul.

really hope its only 2 and we really need to get rid of baumer and brown for the love of god, if canuck2288 wasnt suspended or banned he'd be crying tears right now on the fourm lol.

53 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

really hope its only 2 and we really need to get rid of baumer and brown for the love of god, if canuck2288 wasnt suspended or banned he'd be crying tears right now on the fourm lol.

Best news of the week right there.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Elliott just said on cbc that Canucks are now working on contracts for Green's assistants. 

Doesn't sound good. 

Does not sound good. 

I think Baumer and Brown stay. The team gave a lot of praise to all of them so I'll defer to them here.

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 1

Glad Green is back. He’s the least of this organization’s problems.

Eriksson should be traded, demoted, bought out or retired.
If not, I know a guy.
$4.875 MIL.

Sutter should not be re-signed.

$4.375 MIL.

Nothing Edler does at $6.000 that Hamonic can’t do at $1.500.

$6.000 MIL.

Hopefully Holtby is picked up by the Krakas.

$4.300 MIL.

Bäertschi finally ends.

$2.291 MIL.

The Spooner recap ends.

$1.033 MIL.

Thats a lot of money right there.

Edited by Me_

Great news!  Travis deserves more time to mold this team after a rough year.  He's a good coach.  He needs some better players on D and in our bottom six. 

Regarding the new guys:  Maybe Boyd, Hawryluk and HIghmore will show more (esp like the latter two).  Vesey - I'm not sold on.  Rathbone has the potential to be a top 4D and maybe top 2D.  Juolevi deserves another shot.  Chatfield is so so but could be better with more experience.  Love Hoglander.

Benning needs to do a better job with UFAs and asset management but I'm happy with where this team is heading.  I hope we sign Ian Clark.

Here's hoping to nail it in our 1st round pick this year!  Go Canucks!

Edited by sockeye
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Elliott just said on cbc that Canucks are now working on contracts for Green's assistants. 

Doesn't sound good. 

Does not sound good. 

Yeah, listened to his interview and he believes the lack of talent is the issue - not the strategy employed.  How about Schmidt, a player that looks very different from the player we saw in Vegas; so Iam expecting more roster tweeking and hopefully, they would take a very balance approach in the off season.

It seems enough player(s) had his support and the season ticket holders are also wanting him back.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

36 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, listened to his interview and he believes the lack of talent is the issue - not the strategy employed.  How about Schmidt, a player that looks very different from the player we saw in Vegas; so Iam expecting more roster tweeking and hopefully, they would take a very balance approach in the off season.

It seems enough player(s) had his support and the season ticket holders are also wanting him back.  

Lack of talent?How did we manage that?The bottom 6 needs work but we've had worse teams still make the playoffs.

2 hours ago, bertuzzi44fan said:

Lack of talent?How did we manage that?The bottom 6 needs work but we've had worse teams still make the playoffs.

Just my take on the interview and the general sentiment from the conference.- they will be aggressive in the offseason to increase the talent in the team, as per JB and Green agrees.  

14 hours ago, Apricot said:

Another two years of us questioning and yelling about Green not using his timeout

I am more concerned about 2 more years of Baumer's stellar defensive strategy of just sitting in the slot and letting the opposing team do whatever it wants. No pressure on the puck whatsoever.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I am more concerned about 2 more years of Baumer's stellar defensive strategy of just sitting in the slot and letting the opposing team do whatever it wants. No pressure on the puck whatsoever.

I like Baumgartner's story as a player, like the guy but as a fan I just want to see a change from Baumgartner and Brown for next season and beyond please.

11 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Just my take on the interview and the general sentiment from the conference.- they will be aggressive in the offseason to increase the talent in the team, as per JB and Green agrees.  

so, more high risk , no D defensemen and injury prone forwards

• RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, lmm said:

so, more high risk , no D defensemen and injury prone forwards

Yeah, we will find out what aggressive means this offseason - seems to mean more roster tweaking and nothing with any strategy adjustments if the same staff is brought back (?).  How about Schmidt under Vegas’ compared to his play under Greens’/Baumers’ system (perhaps his d partner will also need to be considered as well when evaluating his first season with the Canucks).

11 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Shouldn’t that be the plan every day for a GM. 
If Green comes back I fear another year of dump and chase will harm the likes of Petey and Huggy. Is 1/2 of Peteys injury in his head why they never say what happened?

25 minutes ago, Get real canuck fans said:

Shouldn’t that be the plan every day for a GM. 
If Green comes back I fear another year of dump and chase will harm the likes of Petey and Huggy. Is 1/2 of Peteys injury in his head why they never say what happened?

Yeah, more of the same (hopefully not cause as Schmidt had proven the system a player plays in matter).  Since Green began his tenure as coach the teams yearly record speaks for itself and I am not sure more talent will matter cause he will always revert back to what he knows and a misused/miscasted players will just be wasted - but the re signing says a lot hopefully this time the results will be different ?

i guess JB is enamoured with Greens potential and it outweighs the results so far ? 

EDE82C0D-37DA-4534-9904-EB2D14943E51.png

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, bertuzzi44fan said:

worse teams that what though?   what you project as a healthy lineup (ie what they started the season, for the most part, with?)

horrible start - and yet they'd climbed back to .500 - and striking distance - pre-outbreak - without EP in the lineup...

in the en, what 'we' managed - was while having an outbreak and handfuls of players injured...

Michaelis

Boyd

Vesey

Graovac

Hawryluk

Lind

Lockwood

Highmore

Chatfield

Rathbone

while already having Hughes, Hoglander, Juolevi types - young guys and rookies that made the lineup under 'normal' circumstances.

That's 10 of 20 skaters - who are either waiver/replacement claims, rookies, AHL depth, or youth callups.  The last 17 games - anyone with high expectations - or demanding 'playoff results' - were either dishonest or deluding themselves.

So - I'd agree with you in a sense - that the 'need' to go out and acquire more "talent" might be overstated - what the team needs is to be healthier - period - and when they are, they are probably better than some versions of the Canucks that have made the playoffs......I think the team needs  to focus on one or two additions, specifically the right partner for Hughes moving forward (I like Hamonic's game as the season progressed - he was understandably awful at the outset of the season - and then injured - and the team was in a rough spot with both Hughes - and EP - from early on....Additionally, they need to focus on what they're going to do about Sutter expiring and Beagle on LTIR and a long term question mark - they will need at least another bottom six hard minutes shutdown center....

What I don't think they need - is to go out searching for top 6 winger talent....not a priority imo - unless they are trying to hasten things.  They have Podkolzin on the way - and imo they have some promising young talent for their depth roles - all of Highmore, Rathbone, Lockwood imo looked solid - guys like Lind look promising, Graovac, Chatfield imo showed they are serviceable depth for the organization... Unless they are looking to move a Roussel and put Pearson on the 3rd line, I'm not sure where the top 6 upgrade would go/fit....I see no reason why all of EP, Boeser, Miller, Horvat and Hoglander shouldn't remain where they are....and I like our forward prospects (even a few of the young centers that look like potential future bottom 6Cs...)

Focus on Hughes' partners - and 3/4 centers - and forget about spending cap on wingers - we could stand to expire a few of those - and if that were a priority, then doing what was necessary to retain Toffoli 'would have' made sense.  The one thing I'd note there is that aside from the RHD and C already mentioned, the next 'need' is probably at LW - with Pearson, Roussel in the middle six - but I wouldn't consider that a priority at this stage (and we have plenty of good, young bottom six options at LW...)  If an upgrade there were in the works, wouldn't we have let Pearson expire?

That said - if they're targetting young forwards as upgrades - and looking to take advantage of an expansion protection spot - that makes sense to me - but shopping in the UFA market - I'm not so sure....It's hard to project demand/prices in the coming UFA markets though - so I suppose I shouldn't underplay those out of hand - it's possible there will be some real opportunities accross the board with the e.d. looming. 

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1