The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign Travis Green to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I just hope they replace Brown and Baumgartner, special teams and D have been bad. If they do re-sign them, then I hope Benning is able to pull off some minor miracles and bring in some top 4 D, rebuild the Bottom 6.   

In time.  Next year not likely. 

42 minutes ago, SNuck said:

Assuming that's true it appears we're heading into the next season with the same management/staff as this season. 

To be a fly on that wall to hear the rationale of this.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

My point was the overall ranking of it last year is exaggerated and an unreliable source of information given how the PP was vs a good playoff team.

The benchmark we should be looking at it how well it does vs multiple top/good playoff teams. We'd be able to get a greater feel and make much more comprehensive judgement of the PP and could then discuss solutions/improvements as we see fit.

At least that was the point I was trying to make.

this is only logical if you break down the results for every other powerplay in the league too. you don't think the other good powerplay teams in the league feasted on bottom feeders and struggled against the good pks? prove it.

here's a hint though: you won't be able to, because your argument is silly. better teams do better than worse teams. it's that simple. 

Just now, Nucksownyou said:

Baum and Brown already have contracts for next season, so hopefully "rest of the coaching staff" means Ian Clark.

That's interesting.  Didn't know Baumgartner and Brown's contract terms were different.

But yes, I agree that hopefully this means that Ian Clark is coming back.

If the Canucks have really re-signed Green, then I wonder why they would only do it now?  What kind of logistical purpose would waiting so late have?  Are they doing this because of the players' comments?  Was there some kind of financial reason?

Overall even if we had new coaches and GM the results likely won't change next year.

We will have no cap and have a bunch of rookies/inexperienced youngsters needing NHL time.

Gonna be a bumpy season next year. JB stated 2 more seasons which is enough time for the youth to find their feet and that's when we'll have cap. At least we will probably have another top 10 pick and a chance at Shane Wright.

• Vintage 2

Just now, tas said:

this is only logical if you break down the results for every other powerplay in the league too. you don't think the other good powerplay teams in the league feasted on bottom feeders and struggled against the good pks? prove it.

here's a hint though: you won't be able to, because your argument is silly. better teams do better than worse teams. it's that simple. 

I think everything I just said flew right past your head.

• Vintage 1

Glad to have him back.  He is a good coach, and has not lost the room.

The reality is, next year isn't likely to be a very good season either.  It won't be until contracts like Eriksson, Luongo, Roussel, Beagle, and even Holtby are off the books.  Even then, the money needs to be spent wisely.  Hopefully, they bring in a new President, or some other title, to relieve Jim of his contract negotiating duties.

1 minute ago, thundernuts said:

Glad to have him back.  He is a good coach, and has not lost the room.

The reality is, next year isn't likely to be a very good season either.  It won't be until contracts like Eriksson, Luongo, Roussel, Beagle, and even Holtby are off the books.  Even then, the money needs to be spent wisely.  Hopefully, they bring in a new President, or some other title, to relieve Jim of his contract negotiating duties.

aside from having to overpay (slightly) a couple vets to field an NHL lineup early on in his tenure, what bad contracts has he handed out?