The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign Travis Green to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, tas said:

no, it crashed into the dirt. 

No you just presumed another thing entirely from what I was saying and put words in my mouth as a result. 

Hence why what I said/meant flew past your head. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Wayne Glensky said:

WE ARE GETTING CONNOR BEDARD PEOPLE !!! SAME COACHING, SAME MANAGMENT, SAME OLD CANUCKS HOCKEY. 

If it's the same old, then we are not winning that draft judging by our luck. SAME COACHING, SAME MANAGEMENT, SAME DRAFT PICK, SAME OLD CANUCKS HOCKEY.

• Haha 1

Just now, stawns said:

seriously, what happened to you?  You used to be pretty level headed and contributed some actual content.  

Nothing happened to me. You just don't like, nor seemingly can't handle, someone having a differing viewpoint or opinion than you on this site. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Passive green.   I remember when toffoli came onboard , he came out smashing and banging and scoring!!!   Someone must’ve said settle down, we don’t do that here because next thing you know, petterson is getting smashed and he does nothing.

The only player I recall doing damage every shift was Luke Shenn.  Someone looked at hughes the wrong way and he would drop him. 

sorry guys. This isn’t sitting well with me!  

• RoughGame 2

3 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

WE ARE GETTING CONNOR BEDARD PEOPLE !!! SAME COACHING, SAME MANAGMENT, SAME OLD CANUCKS HOCKEY. 

We could finish last in that year and we still won’t get Bedard. Won’t happen. Buckle up or  move on 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Every team played the 56 game schedule, and a few other teams had outbreaks of Covid in their rosters as well. So using that excuse doesn't fly. Notice that the players didn't lean on it to explain their lack of success. 

I'm fine with Green being re-signed, if that is in fact the case, but the two assistants clearly were less than successful in their specific areas of coaching. The defense was a porous mess most nights, with the Canucks surrendering more shots than any other team in the league. That wasn't because of Covid or a compressed schedule, it was because they were hemmed in their own end more than not, and couldn't break the puck out with any consistency. 

I hope for better next year, but am not going to count on it. 

Nobody had the level of covid related symptoms or time off we did, not even close.  Boeser certainly made a point of mentioning it yesterday.  I do agree that a new D and PP coach would go a long way, I hope those changes are made. 

Yes, I do think that the compressed schedule did cause some of the challenges we had on D, absolutely.  We played 35 of our 56 games over a span of 56 days to start and end the year.  Anybody who has played sports can understand that if you are playing on average close 4 games a week, 20+ mins a game, it will hurt your performance.  Not using that as an excuse, we should have had better depth to get through it, but we didn't.  Next year though that variable is gone, and I think our team will perform better as a result.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Hope its true, Green is a good coach!

Next, let's get Clark signed to a lifetime contract.

We finished last in the worst division, even Ottawa, who we were all laughing at finished ahead of us, please explain how he is a good coach?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think a lot of the "upward progression" being discussed can be attributed to the fact that we managed to add at least one star player to the lineup every year since Green made it to the big club. Just sayin'

Edit: Also, the Clarke effect should be taken into consideration when discussing our "upward progression". You know, the one coach that is actually leaving the team.

so the only players that matter are the ones who you don't think contribute?  Are the players added not part of the team?  Is the goalie not a part of the team?

• Cheers 1

The pieces are there: Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Hughes, Juolevi, Rathbone, Demko

and they'll get another gem in a couple of months. It's very irritating to still have Roussel, Eriksson, Beagle, Ferland and Virtanen, and it looks like they'll probably re-sign Edler, maybe Sutter too - the 2 year end to this rebuild makes some sense and will fall into place. Contracts will have expired, a player traded or a buyout. By 2023/24 the Canucks will have a very good core of players, all just about to enter their prime.  Pettersson (24) will be a 90 point player, Hughes (23) will lead the league for D, Boeser (26) will score 40 goals, and who knows what Podkolzin and Demko will do.

Trying real hard to be positive about things. I love this team, don't like the current state, but it will get better, right?

• Upvote 1

Best Canucks news this week. :) 

Green was never the problem here. He’s gotten good results and generally overachieved with the rosters he’s been given to work with. And the players like him and have confidence in him. 

Cautiously optimistic this could mean Ian Clark also returns, as I’ve been hoping the team was holding off on announcing Clark until they’d made a decision and come to an agreement on Green, but that they might have had a handshake agreement on Clark for months, but just weren’t willing to create a distraction by signing an assistant coach/consultant before the head coach.

We shall see. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Nothing happened to me. You just don't like, nor seemingly can't handle, someone having a differing viewpoint or opinion than you on this site. 

There are a few on here that can’t fathom other people having different opinions. They try to make you sound like an idiot. 

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

We finished last in the worst division, even Ottawa, who we were all laughing at finished ahead of us, please explain how he is a good coach?

Was a bad year to be in the NHL in general. Team didn't have any practice time for the first 6 weeks, was completely exhausted and struggled with Covid for the last half of the season.

We'll be fine next year, not worried at all.

Wait and see!

• Cheers 3