Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, tas said:

juolevi *SHOULD* find a way to get himself into more than 23 games.

 

opportunities are earned, not given, and if green has shown anything in his time here it's that he's more than happy to give young players opportunities in positions to succeed.

 

you do the math. 

This is where a lot of you guys think horrible wrong.

Young players you want to evolve has to play against the best. 

Earn their way into a roster is for the grunts, the goons etc, not the talanted players. 

  • Hydration 1
  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

 

 

I believe the reason why Chatfield had more games over OJ was due to cap

Juolevi 863k

Chatfield 700k

 

iirc I think there was something mentioned a month ago or so in one of the intermissions with MacIntyre, Murph or Taj? About the cap and OJ Not being played

 

edit: I could be totally wrong, but I swear I heard something about a cap issue interfering

The number seems minuscule/irrelevant and this reason seems like a lame reason to justify him sitting (I get it - JC is a RHD and Green prefers it this way); and still heading into next season OJ is still a question mark - due to limited playing time and JC with the extended looks like an AHLer (imo).

Edited by ShawnAntoski
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

True enough.  I should add, Green with some security now (signed contract for more than just one season) means he won’t be primarily concerned with keeping his job and letting the prospects make mistakes and grow.  Not all are going to be like Boeser EP or Horvat

Olli is worth the risk. He's rock solid in his own end, and his first pass is golden. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

This is where a lot of you guys think horrible wrong.

Young players you want to evolve has to play against the best. 

Earn their way into a roster is for the grunts, the goons etc, not the talanted players. 

Yeah, perhaps the President of the Green fan club cause (imo) the core developed despite of Green - by forcing themselves in the lineup and the ice time earned allowed them to get better in the NHL; rather than (the Staffs preferred method) of learning by watching - just an observation based on game day rosters & TOI.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
Link to post
Share on other sites

Juolevi should have played more?

 

Number 1 - every left side defenseman outplayed him

Number 2 - Green literally said to the media that he couldn’t use Juolevi more because of cap problems prior to the TDL. Not sure why he’s being blamed for a problem Big Jimmy Boy caused

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2021 at 10:08 AM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

True enough.  I should add, Green with some security now (signed contract for more than just one season) means he won’t be primarily concerned with keeping his job and letting the prospects make mistakes and grow.  Not all are going to be like Boeser EP or Horvat

I get it and if true - did Green really develop the core or the core just forced themselves into the lineup ?  Mind games - these are the kind of games that tends to have more affect on the prospects rather than being part of a team that is going through a losing season.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

This is where a lot of you guys think horrible wrong.

Young players you want to evolve has to play against the best. 

Earn their way into a roster is for the grunts, the goons etc, not the talanted players. 

I'll defer to the strategy of the team that has been excellently developing offensive prospects for the last 5 years, thanks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, tas said:

I'll defer to the strategy of the team that has been excellently developing offensive prospects for the last 5 years, thanks. 

So, wich offensive prospects has been excellentely developed the last five years?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

So, wich offensive prospects has been excellentely developed the last five years?

the core of the team, plus hoglander. sure, none of them needed a bunch of development time, but that's the whole point -- every player is at a different level and needs a different amount of seasoning and learning and strengthening, and the canucks' excellent development of them came in the form of recognizing that and knowing what they need and when to give it to them.

 

just like they do with the prospects that haven't been able to earn their place yet.  

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

This is where a lot of you guys think horrible wrong.

Young players you want to evolve has to play against the best. 

Earn their way into a roster is for the grunts, the goons etc, not the talanted players. 

NHL as opposed to AHL or SHL is not a development league. If you're not good enough on day 1 to stick on the roster on current merits then you need to develop somewhere else.

 

Of course nobody's a finished product on day 1, example the sedins who were good enough to play when they entered the league but clearly not the players they later became.

 

Boeser, QH, EP, hogs earned their spot from the first practice while players like Lind, OJ etc.  did not. simple as that. 

 

I'm a big fan of OJ and hope he's an essential part of our top 4D going forward, but you're take here is wrong.

  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

The number seems minuscule/irrelevant and this reason seems like a lame reason to justify him sitting (I get it - JC is a RHD and Green prefers it this way); and still heading into next season OJ is still a question mark - due to limited playing time and JC with the extended looks like an AHLer (imo).

It is minuscule but I believe it was a matter of 50-60k that had us over the allowable cap with use of LTIR.

Like I said I could be wrong, but I do vaguely remember hearing something in an intermission about the reason why Juolevi was not playing and it was just due to a minuscule cap issue.

 

Either way, ya its over and done with and next year is a new start. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, tas said:

the core of the team, plus hoglander. sure, none of them needed a bunch of development time, but that's the whole point -- every player is at a different level and needs a different amount of seasoning and learning and strengthening, and the canucks' excellent development of them came in the form of recognizing that and knowing what they need and when to give it to them.

 

just like they do with the prospects that haven't been able to earn their place yet.  

What core? Höglander and Petey came from SHL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, J-P said:

NHL as opposed to AHL or SHL is not a development league. If you're not good enough on day 1 to stick on the roster on current merits then you need to develop somewhere else.

 

Of course nobody's a finished product on day 1, example the sedins who were good enough to play when they entered the league but clearly not the players they later became.

 

Boeser, QH, EP, hogs earned their spot from the first practice while players like Lind, OJ etc.  did not. simple as that. 

 

I'm a big fan of OJ and hope he's an essential part of our top 4D going forward, but you're take here is wrong.

My take is that AHL is a waste for non NA players and that Benning have to let young players play too long in AHL due to cap space and Kraken hanging over tge team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

It is minuscule but I believe it was a matter of 50-60k that had us over the allowable cap with use of LTIR.

Like I said I could be wrong, but I do vaguely remember hearing something in an intermission about the reason why Juolevi was not playing and it was just due to a minuscule cap issue.

 

Either way, ya its over and done with and next year is a new start. 

Yeah; it’s over with and moving on

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Agree to disagree.  How is he going to "earn" minutes from sitting in the pressbox.  He's the same coach as he was for the Comets.  He leans on his vets/players he knows.  Only reason some guys upfront got playing time was as a result of injuries.

It's not the end of the world. He played almost half of the games. He probably would have played more had we not had injuries leading to cap problems sitting him on the taxi squad. We don't even know what's going on behind the scenes. He'll have plenty of game time next year if he progresses this summer. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Bertuzzipunch changed the title to Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...