The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

I’m happy to hear these sound like Long Term deals. I even consider 5 years long term. Not sure the number but maybe it means they’ll be RFAs after still? Anyways I think the longer these guys are signed now the better. They won’t get huge AAV’s so the longer we keep it that way, The better for our Cap going forward 

3 hours ago, stawns said:

if he did, I'd hope they'd at least consider taking the compenation package, as it would be pretty big.

Depending on what exactly it would be in the end, I would 100% consider taking multiple first-round picks.

24 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

10 years for quinn for 56 million!!

Not sure if you're being facetious or not, but I'm sure you know the max length is 7 years.

Also, why would Petey or Hughes give up UFA years for a low AAV?

3 minutes ago, b3. said:

Don’t know why JP is spreading this garbage about the Canucks having cap problems.

Unprofessional.

Specially when he is already on record as saying that “it’s everywhere not just Vancouver” when asked about players signing long term contracts on the D&D show. So why relate it to cap problems specific to Vancouver?

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

That doesn’t really add up.

So they can’t do long term deals for Quinn but they’re talking more than Petey’s potential 5?

Wouldn’t 6 or 7 years be long term…

without listening to the interview, I wonder if he meant petey AND quinn, as in it is possible to give a long term deal to one of them, but not both?

23 minutes ago, b3. said:

Don’t know why JP is spreading this garbage about the Canucks having cap problems.

Unprofessional.

JP has always been a shyster so this tweet doesn't surprise me. For all we know, Benning may be using the cap as an excuse for bargaining though. Just have to wait and see.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I mean Hughes is already putting up 40-50 points.

They probably feel like his number isn’t gonna change much in a few years. I guess they figure might as well lock him in at like 7-8 mil now.

Petey on the other hand has the potential to earn much more. After an injured season his number might be a bit lower. In a few years if he puts up 90+ points he could be making 9-10 mil.

Agreed, that is why I would want both players long term 6yr min and have them 1 year apart so EP ends first then the following season QH needs a deal. I don't want us to have to pay EP close to or more than 10m in a few years, get the Sedins to talk to him and see if he will do a 7yr 8-8.5m per deal or something then do Hughes 8yr 7.5-8.25m

• Hydration 1
45 minutes ago, stawns said:

Not sure if you're being facetious or not, but I'm sure you know the max length is 7 years.

Also, why would Petey or Hughes give up UFA years for a low AAV?

8 years actually as he is team property

28 minutes ago, b3. said:

Unprofessional.

It may be, but it is the TRUTH and the truth hurts sometimes...We have 1 person to blame and that is the GM who made the offer and has his name attached to each signing the team makes

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

I’m happy to hear these sound like Long Term deals. I even consider 5 years long term. Not sure the number but maybe it means they’ll be RFAs after still? Anyways I think the longer these guys are signed now the better. They won’t get huge AAV’s so the longer we keep it that way, The better for our Cap going forward 

UFAs.  Pettersson is UFA in 4 years and Hughes in 5.

UFA is the earliest between age 27 and 7 pro-seasons, with 40 games on the NHL roster counting as a pro-season.  Games missed due to a hockey related injury count towards the 40 games per CapFriendly - ie this season counts towards an accrued pro-season although Pettersson only played 26 games.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Deets said:

JP has always been a shyster so this tweet doesn't surprise me. For all we know, Benning may be using the cap as an excuse for bargaining though. Just have to wait and see.

No matter how you view his tactics, at the end of the day, he's just doing his job and acting in the best interest of his clients. If you want to blame anyone, you can blame the Vancouver media for always spinning these types of news bits into more dramatically negative coverage of the Canucks. 

• Upvote 2
  • Bertuzzipunch changed the title to Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread