The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Anyone think this will be done soon now that the season is over? When does this expect to get done sooner rather than later? What do you guys think. When this is done will the sting of this season help the ppl that are struggling??

Edited by Bertuzzipunch

I feel this can go one of 2 ways.

Boeser took a good deal (somewhat of a bridge) and it would be awesome if Elias did the same. Sign him for 3 years if the case as it makes said contract expire after Miller and Horvat are resigned. 3 years too for Hughes if bridge type. This allows for the cap to increase by the time they need to be resigned. 

6m x 3 years for Petey - May not want to resign long term due to wrist injury and potential decrease in play 

Tyson Barrie took near 4 million, but it was more of a show me contract and his stats are inflated due to MCD

Petry makes 5.5 million for the HABS and had better stats

Hedman makes under 8 million. 

Chychryun makes near 4.5 million

If we could get Hughes for 5 million for 3 years I'd be happy

----

Long term sign them so their contract expires so they remain RFA in their last year.

Petey 7.5 million for 8 years?

Hughes 7 million for 8 years?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Zhukini said:

Bo and Brock were signed very late into the offseason when they were RFA's. Their agent JP Barry is one of the most ruthless in the business. 

I wouldn't expect a deal til late August

Waaaa no way. They gonna get it done sooner  than u think. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Anyone think this will be done soon now that the season is over? When does this expect to get done sooner rather than later? What do you guys think. When this is done will the sting of this season help the ppl that are struggling??

Yes, 6.5 million each. Use Tkachuk's contract as a baseline then adjust down 500k for flat cap. 2 - 3 year extensions.

45 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

My guess:

Deals get done just before amateur draft.  Guesstimate that both will get Matthew Barzal type bridge deal - 3 years at $7.0M each.  Pat Brisson and JP Barry are agents for Barzal, Hughes and Petterson. Brisson is LA based and JP Barry has a home office in the interior so being in same time zone as the Canucks will help move the negotiations forward.  JP Barry has a long standing relationship with the Aquilini (represented the Sedin brothers), so that should help as well.

Who's struggling?  I love the Canucks, but I don't live and die by them.  I'd like to think most die-hard Canucks fans like me are long suffering, but I don't think any of us struggling?  Maybe I'm wrong...do we have anyone here that we have to pull off the edge of the building?

• Cheers 1

Right after jim takes care of the important ones

like vessey sutter edler hamonic unless a new shinny toy like OEL catches his eye then they’ll have to wait and be patient.

Atleast he  can’t  run out of time... can he? 

history repeats it self. 

Edited by combover
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • RoughGame 3

Well hopefully the bad seasons can modify the cap hits down a bit.  

Dare we dream about matching Boeser’s deal or $6-6.25 million to make them the highest paid players on the team?

Benning can argue that if they don’t want to see their friends moved on for salary reasons (like happened last offseason) and be able to build a winning roster then they have to take less than top dollar.

Their agent will of course argue that Benning would just waste the money on bad veterans anyways..

I would love to see one of them signed long term.

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

I feel this can go one of 2 ways.

Boeser took a good deal (somewhat of a bridge) and it would be awesome if Elias did the same. Sign him for 3 years if the case as it makes said contract expire after Miller and Horvat are resigned. 3 years too for Hughes if bridge type. This allows for the cap to increase by the time they need to be resigned. 

6m x 3 years for Petey - May not want to resign long term due to wrist injury and potential decrease in play 

Tyson Barrie took near 4 million, but it was more of a show me contract and his stats are inflated due to MCD

Petry makes 5.5 million for the HABS and had better stats

Hedman makes under 8 million. 

Chychryun makes near 4.5 million

If we could get Hughes for 5 million for 3 years I'd be happy

----

Long term sign them so their contract expires so they remain RFA in their last year.

Petey 7.5 million for 8 years?

Hughes 7 million for 8 years?

for these two guys I'd go 8x8 in a heartbeat. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

Hoping they go in to negotiations with a Nathan Mackinnon type of attitude. He has the same agent and he deliberately took less money on his last contract to leave more room to get other players signed and has already said he will absolutely take less than market value on his next contract to make sure his team stays competitive.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well hopefully the bad seasons can modify the cap hits down a bit.  

Dare we dream about matching Boeser’s deal or $6-6.25 million to make them the highest paid players on the team?

Benning can argue that if they don’t want to see their friends moved on for salary reasons (like happened last offseason) and be able to build a winning roster then they have to take less than top dollar.

Their agent will of course argue that Benning would just waste the money on bad veterans anyways..

I would love to see one of them signed long term.

That argument has worked for Benning with other RFA guys.

But when he keeps handing out above market value contracts for support players it becomes a much tougher sell.

Benning: "Ya you guys drive the team but we need you to take a haircut so that we can pay Pearson, Roussel, Beagle, Loui, Baertschi, Sutter, Edler, and Myers above market value."

Barrie and Brisson: "EP, lets see if an offer sheet comes in that forces Bennings hand."

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Me too, but lets say 3 years out.

Horvat and Miller can 7 and 6 respectivelly. Boeser will want 7.5

Hoglander and Poldkozin can be near 5 million.

Thats 38.5 mill in our top 6.

Hughes with 8 and Demko with 5. Thats 51.5 in those 8 players

Just now, PunjabiCanucks said:

Me too, but lets say 3 years out.

Horvat and Miller can 7 and 6 respectivelly. Boeser will want 7.5

Hoglander and Poldkozin can be near 5 million.

Thats 38.5 mill in our top 6.

Hughes with 8 and Demko with 5. Thats 51.5 in those 8 players

Add Myers and Schmidt, thats almost another 12 million. 63 million for 10 players

We gotta start saving some money when these dumb contracts end :/

49 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

They both had off years on their contract year which is good for us. Petey got injured and that will go against him (recovery questions) and Quinn had a terrible back checking season. 

8 is way too much, especially in this flat cap era and where owners lost a years revenue. 

Like I said 6X6 is fair and 5X5 would be awesome. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1