The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Not sure what they're waiting for now, the UFA dust has settled and JB has around 20M to sign 4 guys.

Lock up Pettersson long-term with the money, 7.5-8M x 8 years?

Lock up Hughes relatively short-contract, he needs to prove where he's at, if he'll be elite or just a Tyson Barrie. 5M x 2 years (3 seems too long, he could really break-out by then).
Dickinson with a similar 2M x 2-3 year deal

Juolevi again could end up in our top-4 in 2-3 years so 1M x 1-2 years seems fair.

Leaves us with enough cash (2-4M) for a pretty decent player...

JP Bary is waiting for an offer sheet. 

1 hour ago, Sean83 said:

No. Barry was all but begging for an offer sheet today, mentioning August as the time he expects one.  I'm shocked, but, reading the tea leaves from Barry this morning, it's pretty clear that Petterson and Hughes have both played their last games in Vancouver.  We simply can't afford to pay them due to the cap hit they want.  Remember also, that EP40 has deleted all references to the Canucks from all social media taglines.  A clear message if there ever was one.  I like the idea of trading for Eichel.  Not sure exactly how that would work but it's clear we need plan B.  Also, remember the heartbreak from Hughes on draft night, it's clear he wants to be in NJ with his brothers.

Pettersona and the 3 Hughes brothers would instantly make the Devils Stanley Cup favourites.  I suspect that is what Barry is angling for.  Getting Quinn and Elias both an offer sheet from NJD.

You actually have to be joking. Hughes and Petey will both play for the Canucks this October and will both play here for the better part of the next decade with us, regardless of the duration of the signing. They have absolutely no leverage. When was the last time somebody poached an RFA in this league? And you think both of them are gone? Yikes 

You must be one of those guys that thought Tryamkin was coming back because he liked Vancouver Canucks' IG posts and had his profile picture was him in a Nucks jersey. How'd that end up? Right. 

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
1 hour ago, Sean83 said:

No. Barry was all but begging for an offer sheet today, mentioning August as the time he expects one.  I'm shocked, but, reading the tea leaves from Barry this morning, it's pretty clear that Petterson and Hughes have both played their last games in Vancouver.  We simply can't afford to pay them due to the cap hit they want.  Remember also, that EP40 has deleted all references to the Canucks from all social media taglines.  A clear message if there ever was one.  I like the idea of trading for Eichel.  Not sure exactly how that would work but it's clear we need plan B.  Also, remember the heartbreak from Hughes on draft night, it's clear he wants to be in NJ with his brothers.

Pettersona and the 3 Hughes brothers would instantly make the Devils Stanley Cup favourites.  I suspect that is what Barry is angling for.  Getting Quinn and Elias both an offer sheet from NJD.

Maybe New Jersey’s message board should make YOU an offer sheet (don’t worry about us matching the offer by the way).

• Haha 1

If you can lock up Hughes long term to like a 6.5 aav, that could potentially be a huge steal down the line. The kid can't get worse defensively and will always be a good offensive player. 

But if he improves defensively and then keeps that offense, that contract looks ridiculously good. 

Petey I think will earn whatever value we give him. If we can get him for 7 I think we are absolutely laughing but even at 8.5 I think that's fair provided his two way game and his compete level. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, smokes said:

Benning does this to troll Canucks fans. He always takes his sweet time with his stars. I remember Horvat and Boeser were also signed late in the off season.

Do you remember how much BB agent was trying to get for him?  A ridiculous amount.   JB said see you later to long term deals because it was beyond reasonable and went ahead and spent the money (not saying wisely but went ahead and did it like a boss should anyways).    8 x 8 wow.   I saw that.   Also saw 7-7.5x8.   Then he signs a bridge at the last moment and everything was fine.   Until his next season - then BB trade threads popped up everywhere.   Because he wasn't performing even to his new deal (which most found very awesome at the time - next Brett Hull and all).   Glad Patient wiser, experienced minds are doing these deals compared to 73% of the CDC ( and no knock on 73% he's good in my books lol).   But some are just crazy.   If EP and QHs want 9-10 they can go somewhere else.   Hope someone offer sheets EP at 11 just for the picks.   QHs has no bargaining power - if he wants to go Nedved on JB just let him sit.   Spend the cap somewhere else.  

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Is there any agent that likes the spotlight of a big negotiation more than him?

I find him very unprofessional the way he uses the media. Talking about the Canucks cap management and basically signalling teams to put in an offer sheet.

Guys going to burn his bridges acting like that.   GMs won't want to deal with him or their clients.   It's just postering really.   I'm sure at the end of the day, there will be a collective sigh of relief, just like BB, just like Horvat.   Late start but it's still early days.    I'm ready to wait until September. 

• Hydration 3
  • Vintage 1
2 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Anybody opposed to a contract for Petey with a QO of 11 mil for the last year? I'm personally not opposed to it, js

That's simply insane. 

• Hydration 1
5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That's simply insane. 

How so? On a 4 year contract that means that year 5 he'll be at 11 mil. Cap will eventually go up and we can't have a Petey under 10 mil his entire career. On a current RFA deal for 4 years that could be close to a 8 mil cap if we go something like 5/7/9/11...

Edit; just saw you don't think Petey is a superstar, I think he is. So i don't even think it's worth you replying since I already understand why you feel that certain way. I doubt he gets it, I wouldn't be happy about it, but I wouldn't bitch about it either. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • RoughGame 1
15 hours ago, spook007 said:

A bold statement without knowing the ins and outs...

How much did/will EP or QH ask for? Are you prepared to give them 10-12+ each?

Very likely at least EP want to see, what the future of this franchise looks like?

What are other players getting paid?

Do they even wanna stay in Vancouver?

Those 2 contracts are likely going to be the biggest contracts signed by the Canucks since the Luongo deal, maybe even bigger, so its not just a Sunday stroll down to the pub. 

By leaving them to last, the Club has shown them both their ambition, and how much money there is left, if they wanna build a contender.

They've also shown, that they wanted to give Petey more offensive help, and maybe shown QH a willingness to get him the two players, he played the best with during his tenure here... a lot thing, we don't know jack about, is part of the negotiations, and it's not necessarily just about dollars and cents...

Spook i think a part of the CDC has gone bonkers seeing what UFAs are getting.   RFAs are not supposed to get paid like that, not unless they are truly special - our guys aren't that.   Neither has proven beyond a doubt they will be superstars.   That's superstar money under flat cap for RFAs.    Both are worth a gamble but nothing more then 8 x 8 and maybe 7 x 8 that's it.  

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

How so? On a 4 year contract that means that year 5 he'll be at 11 mil. Cap will eventually go up and we can't have a Petey under 10 mil his entire career. On a current RFA deal for 4 years that could be close to a 8 mil cap if we go something like 5/7/9/11...

Flat cap for four years.  Yes that's insane.   He's done nothing to earn that yet and we won't be able to trade him either.    No thanks.  

• Vintage 2
15 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Anybody opposed to a contract for Petey with a QO of 11 mil for the last year? I'm personally not opposed to it, js

11 mil for EP?

Wow.. I hope he's that player in 3 or 4 years but I wouldn't sign that deal if I'm Aqua.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2
2 hours ago, Sean83 said:

Quinn isn’t eligible to be offer sheeted. 

• Vintage 3
24 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That's simply insane. 

thats Dubas level work. I love Petey, but he's not worth that. I'm not sure any player really is. 

• Vintage 2
53 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Is there any agent that likes the spotlight of a big negotiation more than him?

I find him very unprofessional the way he uses the media. Talking about the Canucks cap management and basically signalling teams to put in an offer sheet.

He did this with Marner a couple years ago.

• Vintage 1
10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats Dubas level work. I love Petey, but he's not worth that. I'm not sure any player really is. 

McDavid earns his paycheque.  BB plus Horvat plus a little ... 110-120 points.  Personally i'd much rather have Miller and Horvat over McDavid.   And that's saying a lot.   Just the cap though.    Jimmy must say i think the GMs have gone a little mad with some of these deals (ok actually a lot of these deals) considering there is flat cap for the duration of the CBA - even if it's only three years it's just wow.    What the heck are they thinking?   I don't mind if JB sticks to his guns and waits until training camp and stresses us all out until then if it means another Horvat or BB deal (both deemed fair at the time with the cap going up).    Really EP has done just a little more then BB did before his deal, and he's a LW/C so gets a little boost on top for that,  with flat cap his first two years are the same as BB last two under that metric, and his was done with the cap supposedly going up...6.5 x 3 is actually pretty fair.   QHs...don't care that Seth Jones and Werenski singed whatever they did, it doesn't equate they bought UFA years and took smaller deals when RFAs.   So should QHs.   He's no Makar (and for all the Sakic love he's sure got some Dubas in him too with both Makar and Rantanen deals) and he's no Heiskanen either.    He's a small premier PMD, just like Ghost was same as McAvoy (who's bigger of course).    5.5 x 3 seems about right.   So i'm guessing 8 x3 and 7 x 4.   Because this market is totally whack right now.  

• Like 2
  • Hydration 2