Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Here is a list of unsigned RFAs from Capfriendly. Yes Pettersson and Hughes are big names important to all of us but there are some other names of note still without contracts. No need for panic, most GMs still have a lot to get done.

 

 

 

 

 

76847FC8-1472-41AB-845A-8229B456E613.jpeg

A695F76D-F3FA-4ED8-AB63-43D00A17B10D.jpeg

That's a very interesting list.  I think we all forgot that Dahlin is still unsigned.  I don't think Quinn gets more than him.  Also it will be interesting what Brady Tkachuk gets.  Svechnikov is another player we need to keep an eye on.

 

These guys are all roughly the same age and all coming off their ELC's.  Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.  Which of the 5 will sign a long term deal?

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

In a cap environment it’s not about getting the best players all on one team, it’s about getting the best overall team out of the cap space. No one here is saying McDavid isn’t a phenomenal player, but for his cap space you can have two other very good players who while are not anywhere near his level bring a huge value to the team. 
 

I doubt anyone on here wouldn’t want McDavid on their team but it’s the cap hit (that he has earned) that’s the issue. It impacts your  ability to fill other roles. 

lol i'll take mcdavid + a plug on his wing over horvat + miller any day for the same cap hit if that's where you are going

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's a very interesting list.  I think we all forgot that Dahlin is still unsigned.  I don't think Quinn gets more than him.  Also it will be interesting what Brady Tkachuk gets.  Svechnikov is another player we need to keep an eye on.

 

These guys are all roughly the same age and all coming off their ELC's.  Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.  Which of the 5 will sign a long term deal?


From those five my guess Tkachuk and Svechnikov sign long term deals. Ottawa has the cap space and Brady seems to really like it there. I don’t see anyone listed as captain for the Sens so (if true) he signs for 8 and is named captain for next year. Svech probably signs for 5 years. Dahlin could certainly sign for more than 3 with the cap that the Sabres have but they need to see more of him to justify 7 or 8. Also if you’re Dahlin do you even want to sign for that long in Buffalo? Unless they throw gobs of money at him he just signs a bridge to free agency.

 

If Dahlin or Svech sign first, those deals would set the tone for Hughes’ deal IMO.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol i'll take mcdavid + a plug on his wing over horvat + miller any day for the same cap hit if that's where you are going

 Not necessarily +plug on his wing but entire roster make up. Look at the leafs some great players but it’s a top heavy squad filled in with AHL players to make the figures work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, 4petesake said:


From those five my guess Tkachuk and Svechnikov sign long term deals. Ottawa has the cap space and Brady seems to really like it there. I don’t see anyone listed as captain for the Sens so (if true) he signs for 8 and is named captain for next year. Svech probably signs for 5 years. Dahlin could certainly sign for more than 3 with the cap that the Sabres have but they need to see more of him to justify 7 or 8. Also if you’re Dahlin do you even want to sign for that long in Buffalo? Unless they throw gobs of money at him he just signs a bridge to free agency.

 

If Dahlin or Svech sign first, those deals would set the tone for Hughes’ deal IMO.

Yeah I think Barry is going to wait it out and see what those two guys get and wait for Dahlin to sign first I think.  Once that is done the contracts will be pretty much set and Benning won't have alot of leverage.  In hindsight it would have been best to get Petey and Quinn signed prior to the "Summer of Benning".  But in reality Barry was always going to wait it out until the others signed first.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UKNuck96 said:

In a cap environment it’s not about getting the best players all on one team, it’s about getting the best overall team out of the cap space. No one here is saying McDavid isn’t a phenomenal player, but for his cap space you can have two other very good players who while are not anywhere near his level bring a huge value to the team. 
 

I doubt anyone on here wouldn’t want McDavid on their team but it’s the cap hit (that he has earned) that’s the issue. It impacts your  ability to fill other roles. 

Which of course I understand, but McDavid is the best possible use of that 12.5 million in cap space in my opinion. I love miller and horvat, especially horvat, but I'd put their cap towards McDavid in a heart beat if I'm building a team. That being said I hear you. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah I think Barry is going to wait it out and see what those two guys get and wait for Dahlin to sign first I think.  Once that is done the contracts will be pretty much set and Benning won't have alot of leverage.  In hindsight it would have been best to get Petey and Quinn signed prior to the "Summer of Benning".  But in reality Barry was always going to wait it out until the others signed first.

Could even be a bit of cat and mouse, as their agent may want to see, what EP and QH in particular are being paid...

It will be interesting...

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol i'll take mcdavid + a plug on his wing over horvat + miller any day for the same cap hit if that's where you are going

Horvat and Miller combined are still cheaper than McDavid. Also, plugs have been on McDavids wing, and they don't really do as well as you think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

 

I guess you haven't noticed the effect on the cap, or how he's been shut down by several teams in the playoffs. 

 

He's a phenomenal scoring winger, no doubt. But he's no Crosby. 

Sign two super stars, that has worked, but you have to also build thru drafts and trades.  
 

with Crosby and Malkin were not alone and didn’t win by themselves. 
 

There has been two excellent goalies, until Brock exposed one… hehe.  
 

A very effective Puck Moving defence man that was a partner in Junior to a guy that could have been something, RIP.  
 

those last to line items have been missing in Edmonton, they have not come anywhere near solid in net, on the back end or drafting depth.  They have made recent strides to really address this issue with Bouchard and the Big Swede last year.  
 

Nurse is a good 3-4 guy with a heavy presence and can be really effective, Ethan Bear, would love to have him on our roster.  A good number 4 on a tram or a really good number 4-5.  These are great pieces.    Barrie and Bouchard could round that, if Bouchard can take another step and become a decent top four without a true top number 1 guy and not sure who is the top man, similar to Vancouver, even in the cup run year.  No true top pairing number one guy, Edler being the top d man in the finals and when Hammer, as the other anchor on the 2b top pair went down, the defence was exposed.  

 

Edmonton needs to draft and develop their young d men and a good goalie plus cheap bottom six guys to take advantage of their two super stars while they can still afford too.  
 

they look a tad better in the draft by at least addressing defence as a position of need at the top of the draft.  They will always have the potential to turn it on if they can correct this.  
 

not sure the flames can match, think Vancouver has a better depth long term in key positions and better coaching, drafting… we can’t always be tied for worst management lol… 

 

the division is up for grabs and JB has done really well with money ball, type FA signings that give depth in an area where there isn’t a stand out in RHD that at least gives the many talented LHD options for chemistry and injury,  key area of need that doesn’t have an affordable available top 3 d man on the market unless we give up Petey or Hughes.   So it was an interesting and I think intelligent approach that puts the money back into the key players and positions.  Let’s see if 20m is enough for Dickinson, OJ Hughes and Petey.  
 

sometimes it makes me nauseous when people are starving and homeless even in Vancouver but I accept hockey for what it is.  Entertainment for the masses, not ethics.  
 

 

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Vintage 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

That is a surprisingly accurate take. I'd never really delved too much in to it until this evening, but McDavid has never won a League Championship in CHL or higher, and has never won anything except for individual awards unless surrounded by elite support on the international stage. I'm honestly beginning to wonder if he is the type of person that can straight up carry a team to a Championship. 

 

Sure he can lead a team in points in the regular season and in round robin play but it seems as though he can't carry a team, and singlehandedly drag them through a playoff round. 

 

I understand that teams need a mix of skill and depth to the lineup but it's honestly surprising that he has never won a League Title at any level. At this point in his career Crosby had been to the Finals twice and won once. Obviously the team makeups were very different but it honestly makes me wonder more than I ever have before if McDavid is the player to build a franchise around.

 

Obviously he is probably the most highly skilled player in the league and that alone should make it a total lock for him to be a franchise cornerstone. But I wonder if maybe he has spent so long coasting on natural skill that when the game intensity ramps up and time and space really close in that he just doesn't understand how to adjust.

 

I mean it is something he should have ample opportunity to learn as the Oilers do look to be at the very least a perennial playoff team. But I wonder if he will ever learn how to be a true leader and a heart and soul type of player a la Crosby or Toews or even someone like Kesler. On our team, after the bubble, I see two players of that caliber on our team in Horvat and Pettersson. They will never have the same level of skill as McDavid  but they have both shown that they will do whatever it takes to win. They both showed that in the bubble and Pettersson showed he can drag a team all the way to a League Title in the SHL. 

 

Anyway, that's my semi-surprised research rant of the day. Thanks for reading my rambling brain droppings.

well said, thats exactly the thoughts I've had about McDavid over the years. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cdgraham said:

Lol what? He's a center. Also miller and horvat take up more or less the same amount of cap space. 

 

Just because the oilers are useless at filling out the rest of their roster doesn't mean McDavid at 12.5 isn't better then horvat and jt Miller at both close to 6 

he's used more like a C/F tho to maximize him generating speed. He takes 1/2 the face-offs someone like Bo or Draisaitl. He's also not a physical player in the least, quite soft actually.

 

I do agree tho the Coilers have done a terrible job putting a team around him. When he does finally leave he'll fit in on a top line with a solid 1C and get that cup somewhere else. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Sign two super stars, that has worked, but you have to also build thru drafts and trades.  
 

with Crosby and Malkin were not alone and didn’t win by themselves. 
 

There has been two excellent goalies, until Brock exposed one… hehe.  
 

A very effective Puck Moving defence man that was a partner in Junior to a guy that could have been something, RIP.  
 

those last to line items have been missing in Edmonton, they have not come anywhere near solid in net, on the back end or drafting depth.  They have made recent strides to really address this issue with Bouchard and the Big Swede last year.  
 

Nurse is a good 3-4 guy with a heavy presence and can be really effective, Ethan Bear, would love to have him on our roster.  A good number 4 on a tram or a really good number 4-5.  These are great pieces.    Barrie and Bouchard could round that, if Bouchard can take another step and become a decent top four without a true top number 1 guy and not sure who is the top man, similar to Vancouver, even in the cup run year.  No true top pairing number one guy, Edler being the top d man in the finals and when Hammer, as the other anchor on the 2b top pair went down, the defence was exposed.  

 

Edmonton needs to draft and develop their young d men and a good goalie plus cheap bottom six guys to take advantage of their two super stars while they can still afford too.  
 

they look a tad better in the draft by at least addressing defence as a position of need at the top of the draft.  They will always have the potential to turn it on if they can correct this.  
 

not sure the flames can match, think Vancouver has a better depth long term in key positions and better coaching, drafting… we can’t always be tied for worst management lol… 

 

the division is up for grabs and JB has done really well with money ball, type FA signings that give depth in an area where there isn’t a stand out in RHD that at least gives the many talented LHD options for chemistry and injury,  key area of need that doesn’t have an affordable available top 3 d man on the market unless we give up Petey or Hughes.   So it was an interesting and I think intelligent approach that puts the money back into the key players and positions.  Let’s see if 20m is enough for Dickinson, OJ Hughes and Petey.  
 

sometimes it makes me nauseous when people are starving and homeless even in Vancouver but I accept hockey for what it is.  Entertainment for the masses, not ethics.  
 

 

yup all that makes sense. I do think the division is there for us to take, assuming Demko stays healthy. Seattle is going to be a good team, which is OK and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they bump Vegas out of the playoff picture this year. Vegas really screwed up imo letting Fleury go like that, and Tuch won't start the season either. Vegas could get off to a poor start and not catch up. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

 Not necessarily +plug on his wing but entire roster make up. Look at the leafs some great players but it’s a top heavy squad filled in with AHL players to make the figures work. 

Sure but if u put mcdavid with 2 cheap wingers he will still carry the line and probably get his point a game pace. Oiler can actually spread their talents up and down the lineup but chooses to stack them on a line whereas the leafs player none are capable of producing without the others.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Here is a list of unsigned RFAs from Capfriendly. Yes Pettersson and Hughes are big names important to all of us but there are some other names of note still without contracts. No need for panic, most GMs still have a lot to get done.

 

 

 

 

 

76847FC8-1472-41AB-845A-8229B456E613.jpeg

A695F76D-F3FA-4ED8-AB63-43D00A17B10D.jpeg

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he's used more like a C/F tho to maximize him generating speed. He takes 1/2 the face-offs someone like Bo or Draisaitl. He's also not a physical player in the least, quite soft actually.

 

I do agree tho the Coilers have done a terrible job putting a team around him. When he does finally leave he'll fit in on a top line with a solid 1C and get that cup somewhere else. 

He is a 1c, just because he doesn't take all the face off doesn't make McDavid of all people not a 1c

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cdgraham said:

He is a 1c, just because he doesn't take all the face off doesn't make McDavid of all people not a 1c

takes him down a peg tho compared to Crosby 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

takes him down a peg tho compared to Crosby 

why would i take him down a peg compared to crosby? crosby was surrounded by elite super star on his team. the first cup was carried by Malkin.. the 2016 and 17 cup even though he was the conn smythe winner.. Kessel finished 3 points up or Murray coulda and tbh shoulda won it.. 2017 Malkin finished ahead of Crosby again easily could have won it. Crosby have never single handedly carried the pittsburgh team ever in his tenure.. he was always flanked by Malkin Letang Fleury.. easily one of the best in their respective position. i mean if u give McDavid a hof caliber goalie a norris caliber defenseman and then he still sucking then that's a different story. to say Crosby is so good and everyone else is a peg or 2 below him is laughable considering he was surrounded by surrounded by world class talent on the team in some of the most important position.. imagine Ovechkin having a Malkin as his center for his career.. we'll probably be talking about Ovechkin already breaking Gretzky's record or something.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...