Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Why did you answer my post with this? 
I clearly said IF. 

What is the point of talking about 'ifs'?  

 

The salary cap availability has never been as low as $10M this off season.  JB knew what he was doing and played it out so that he can also sign Pete, Quinn and Dicks. 

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I agree and what he has done may well accomplish that. I just think it will have negative implications to building a perennial winner.  Shirt term gain for long term pain. 

Well that remains to be seen.  I understand where you're coming from though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

lol ya it must be the agents fault they are not signed coz they are the one that signs the contract and not the player? if there's a contract offer the players are happy with it already would have been done. the job of the agent is to get the best possible deal for his client, he's not doing his job if he's taking below market value deals for his client just to help out the team? right now it's a game of chicken between JP and Benning. i think at the end of the day Benning will blink first. he can't afford EP and QH to not be at training camp and not ready at the start of the season or risk injury coz missing camp. His job is basically tied to the teams success this season.. if they come out of the gate like last season? he prolly won't last the entire year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol ya it must be the agents fault they are not signed coz they are the one that signs the contract and not the player? if there's a contract offer the players are happy with it already would have been done. the job of the agent is to get the best possible deal for his client, he's not doing his job if he's taking below market value deals for his client just to help out the team? right now it's a game of chicken between JP and Benning. i think at the end of the day Benning will blink first. he can't afford EP and QH to not be at training camp and not ready at the start of the season or risk injury coz missing camp. His job is basically tied to the teams success this season.. if they come out of the gate like last season? he prolly won't last the entire year.

I just don't know why it has to come down to playing chicken with your 2 franchise players. It doesn't seem like JB to lowball his guys. 

Also Petey and Hughes hired Barry to get the best contract done. This means to also trust him when he says not to sign yet as he can get better. 

That's like Aqualini hiring JB and then forcing and vetoing trades. You trust the ppl you hire and Aqualini initially faced a lot of backlash for that. Players hire agents for a reason. Yes players  are the boss but why hire an agent if you're not going to listen and sign for less? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I agree and what he has done may well accomplish that. I just think it will have negative implications to building a perennial winner.  Shirt term gain for long term pain. 

You're wanting to hit fast forward and skip over steps....."perennial winners" aren't just an "add water" and done deal.  Over time, teams learn and adjust in order to get there.  But it takes getting into the playoffs and building from each step along the way before you can think about repeating that.  Experience is important.

 

I feel most teams that sustain success didn't just get there from square one...."it's a process" for teams.

 

Sure, you have to plan for the future but you don't sacrifice the here and now and players in place as part of that....you have to get there and baby steps along the way are required before you just jump to a perennial winner.  

 

Think of a guy like Petey and how important playoffs are to him.  He's a winner and sitting out as we collect players for a future/perennial winner doesn't suit him.  He's confident and wants to prove himself...at some point, you have to let the horses run and not hold them back.  Him NOT being in the playoffs sets the tone for discontent...we have to aim to be there to keep our stars motivated, happy and confident in THEIR team.  Not a future version of a team that looks past them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not like GMs and agents sit in a room day after day trying to hammer out a contract. With everything going on these last few weeks, I'm not surprised it's not done yet, as these things take time. It's the main focus now, and from the sound of it, they're just ironing out the details on what works best for the players and team. But also from the sound of it, the players have the team in mind, so there is no squeezing going on from anyone. I expect we'll hear an announcement this week.

  • Vintage 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol ya it must be the agents fault they are not signed coz they are the one that signs the contract and not the player? if there's a contract offer the players are happy with it already would have been done. the job of the agent is to get the best possible deal for his client, he's not doing his job if he's taking below market value deals for his client just to help out the team? right now it's a game of chicken between JP and Benning. i think at the end of the day Benning will blink first. he can't afford EP and QH to not be at training camp and not ready at the start of the season or risk injury coz missing camp. His job is basically tied to the teams success this season.. if they come out of the gate like last season? he prolly won't last the entire year.

You don't think the agents are advising them on whether or not they should sign?

 

You contradict yourself...if it's a game of chicken then the agent's likely driving that.  Benning won't risk losing his "star players" by lowballing....but an agent gets a cut and is obviously striving for the maximum as his interest is a factor in all of this, NOT just his client's.  So don't pretend Benning's the only one with a self serving interest in this because that's ridiculous.

 

I'm sure there's been a fair offer presented but it's likely a ransom demand by the agent because....why not try it?  In the driver's seat and it can become swarmy if greed is involved and they dig in with outrageous demands that involve risk.  The agent should have the client's interests at heart but I'm quite sure that they want to cash in on these deals too and that can become the focus.  "Their cut".  It's a game of cat and mouse on both sides ... no "fault" involved , it's just how negotiations work.

  • Hydration 1
  • Burr 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Hopefully it won't come to that.  N-misconduct doesn't factor in the various players that will be sent to Abby, which would create more cap space to sign Quinn to a bridge contract.  Having him facing off against Brock next season could be a nightmare if Q was looking for more $.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Hopefully it won't come to that.  N-misconduct doesn't factor in the various players that will be sent to Abby, which would create more cap space to sign Quinn to a bridge contract.  Having him facing off against Brock next season could be a nightmare if Q was looking for more $.

I don't think they have factored in the LTIR situation either. Next year, ofc, Luongo's recapture penalty comes off the books, so that will help then.

 

 

Edited by Googlie
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I don't think they have factored in the LTIR situation either. Next year, ofc, Luongo's recapture penalty comes off the books, so that will help the.n

You are correct, they have not factored anything on LTIR. The reason that they haven't is to make things seem more dire than they actually are, which drives readers and clicks.

 

We could easily give Pettersson and Hughes 8 million per season bridge deals (I think 7 million is more realistic) and still have space left to sign Dickinson the 2 million that he would likely get in Arbitration. and Juolevi the 800k - 850k that he will likely sign a one year, one way, show me deal for.

 

That would give us 26 guys signed and 3 of the lower guys would be sent to Abbotsford, pulling about 2.2 - 2.5 million back.

 

Net message is, we're in good shape and no reason to panic.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

This is a pretty good example of why the media gets no respect from me (not all, but some).   Some here think we're tough on them because we're wearing our Homer goggles....or maybe it's this crap, where they "want to see the chaos" (even though "they know it likely won't happen".  Pot stirrers.  Generate a buzz any way you can.

 

If you're a Canuck fan, you really DON'T want to see this.  

 

I get that it's their job to get attention but fuelling these fires doesn't sit well with me.  Let sleeping dogs lie.

 

No one cares about your "OMG" wish list.

image.png

Exactly, Offer Sheets rarely happen and even less likely while we're dealing with a flat cap. GM's don't want to do anything that's more inflationary than necessary as it will bite them on all the other guys they have to sign and they are all stuck in the same cap hell.

 

Media is just desperate to create drama as drama is what sells subscriptions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

This is a pretty good example of why the Vancouver media gets no respect from me (not all, but some).   Some here think we're tough on them because we're wearing our Homer goggles....or maybe it's this crap, where they "want to see the chaos" (even though "they know it likely won't happen".  Pot stirrers.  Generate a buzz any way you can.

 

If you're a Canuck fan, you really DON'T want to see this.  So I question where their loyalties lie and it's pretty clear they troll for hits.

 

I get that it's their job to get attention but fuelling these fires doesn't sit well with me.  Let sleeping dogs lie.

 

No one cares about your "OMG" wish list.

image.png

Lots of people have 'opinions' on Brian Burke but one thing I loved about him when he was GM here is that he specifically called out local media who made a habit of negatively targeting the team and their players. He went so far as restricting their access (as much as NHL regulations allowed) to the players and the facilities.   He said numerous times publicly that if this brought all the negative attention on him and away from the team he was 100% fine with that.  I know for certain that he still holds grudges against certain 'media' who are more interested in causing controversy than reporting facts.  

 

At the moment there's virtually nothing stopping the media from totally fabricating total bs and passing it off as journalism and/or social media. Sadly in this market there's a huge uneducated, gullible fan-base that seems to legitimize this media garbage by responding to it and/or reposting it (not referring to you or this quoted post dlc). 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Exactly, Offer Sheets rarely happen and even less likely while we're dealing with a flat cap. GM's don't want to do anything that's more inflationary than necessary as it will bite them on all the other guys they have to sign and they are all stuck in the same cap hell.

 

Media is just desperate to create drama as drama is what sells subscriptions.


The list of teams that have cap space to put together an offer sheet is laughably short and includes a few less desirable destinations. We need to remember that we can also go over the salary cap by 10% so long as we’re in compliance by the time the season opens, like seven teams are currently.

  • Hydration 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

You are correct, they have not factored anything on LTIR. The reason that they haven't is to make things seem more dire than they actually are, which drives readers and clicks.

 

We could easily give Pettersson and Hughes 8 million per season bridge deals (I think 7 million is more realistic) and still have space left to sign Dickinson the 2 million that he would likely get in Arbitration. and Juolevi the 800k - 850k that he will likely sign a one year, one way, show me deal for.

 

That would give us 26 guys signed and 3 of the lower guys would be sent to Abbotsford, pulling about 2.2 - 2.5 million back.

 

Net message is, we're in good shape and no reason to panic.

 

 

Can anyone explain to me why Benning put himself in this situation ? Why not secure the future of the franchise, and start trading after that? I have to say Benning trade like blind men fight. Almost all the cap troubles we are in, is his own doing. Why not wait out the bad contracts he traded to Arizona, there were only 1 year left on them? He could have bougt out Virtanen and Holtby  anyway and traded Edler and Smidt to clear cap space anyway. I have to, say that I think OEL will have a bounceback in Vancouver but the cap hit is brutal. How will it age?

  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Would you prefer he just said hello mr Agent here is the 12 million for Petey and 10 million for Quinn?

We have more then enough cap space to sign them. I’d say there’s even enough to sign Petey long term. 
 

Patience 

 

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Would you prefer he just said hello mr Agent here is the 12 million for Petey and 10 million for Quinn?

We have more then enough cap space to sign them. I’d say there’s even enough to sign Petey long term. 
 

Patience 

I agree with you 100 %. I`m thinking about the future. This time next year there would be cap space galore whithout the OEL contract. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...