The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media Availability with GM JB and Head Coach Green (& Follow Up With JB on 650)

Rate this topic

-DLC-

49 minutes ago, Josepho said:

He also said to Faber that free agency and trading picks was on the table.

This is a redux of 2019's offseason. Jim Benning doesn't care about building a consistent contender, he cares about barely squeaking into the playoffs and saving his job. He says "anything can happen", when the playoffs historically favour the higher seeded teams. He isn't smart enough to manage the cap well enough to make this team a consistent contender. He is very obviously not the guy to help this team take the next step but our dumb and cheap owner likes pushing him around too much to fire him.

I can't wait until we stupidly pay up for Barrie/OEL.

I have to have a bit more optimism than that for Jim.   I'd go crazy otherwise. Even though I wish they'd have swapped him out.

But its just these "little things" that are annoying.  Just a few weeks ago he says “In two years time, I think we're going to be real competitive.”  

How does that jive with this latest announcement of this summer's plan of being "aggressive" and to "figure out how to get in first and then anything can happen in the playoffs."?

Sure its a given you try and  make the playoffs every year.   I'm sure St. Louis fans are happy they didn't just play for picks half ways through the season before last.  But it sounds like the no plan plan again.

Maybe its just another communication thing. But it sounds confusing.  Are you going hard to make the playoffs again next season with more FAs and pick giveaways? Or are you focusing on building a sustainable, perennial contender to be ready for the season after?, even if you have to pass on the temptation of filling the cap up to the top with more overpriced FA spending in order to get to the dance next season?  Jim has used the "day to day" phrase to describe how he operates.  You could also say he is only capable of managing on a "season to season" basis as well.

13 hours ago, FaninMex said:

I appreciate posters like you and Dumb Nuck. I enjoy hearing your perspective and the banter it creates.

Combover, Squam, Wayne and the other troll accounts that add nothing to a conversation except a Benning sucks followed by a stupid picture. Or worse yet fabricating stories that are unfounded and often bordering on slanderous is tiresome. Those posters should be banned.

Seems like your the one TROLLING  for a response.

Use the ignore feature it’s really simple even for someone like you. 

27 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Give the kids a shot and plug any holes next offseason.  Parayko and Manson could both hit UFA and either would be a perfect fit for Hughes.  Hoping we don't do buyouts and just bite the bullet.

STL is at the end of their run.  They are getting beaten like a drum by the Avs, and will have not been out of the 1st round in 3 of the past 4 years.  I think they will be looking to re tool this offseason, and potentially rebuild the year after.  I know CP is their top pair RD, but I'd certainly look to explore a trade for him this offseason.

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I get the sense that you've bought into the whole "soft Euro" narrative.  If you've been paying attention, Höglander has been one of the more persistent puck chasers (with reasonably good results) and has dealt with a lot of the dirty areas while doing so.  The Sedins have also been lauded for their understated durability and toughness considering they also go into the tough dirty areas and come out with the puck.  The only fault that can really be placed on them is that they're not fighters (in the sense of "drop the gloves and let's go").

I think you'll find that Höglander will become one of the guys who will have a reputation of being tough as nails.  Pettersson has also shown he's not afraid to reverse-hit all comers, and is more durable than people give him credit for when he goes into the dirty areas as well.

It's not only the "good ol' Canadian boys" that can play the rough-and-tumble style, you know.

I don't think the Sedins gave it back near enough. Now, Pettersson? He gives it right back and is not afraid of throwing his weight around one bit. So of the hits he's thrown, especially the reverse ones are dandies. And Hoglander is as tenacious and fearless as a hockey player can be. I have no doubt the team has the ability to manage the rough stuff. I hope the camaraderie deepens that precipitates a team wide wolf pack mentality. I think in the latter part of this shambolic season I saw a lot more standing up for each other. 

Good sign.

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

STL is at the end of their run.  They are getting beaten like a drum by the Avs, and will have not been out of the 1st round in 3 of the past 4 years.  I think they will be looking to re tool this offseason, and potentially rebuild the year after.  I know CP is their top pair RD, but I'd certainly look to explore a trade for him this offseason.

They'll be looking at re-signing him, most likely. He's a massive player, but doesn't use any where near enough. Would he be the ideal partner for Hughes? Probably a pretty good fit. 

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Canucks have been in one since the Sedins retired. I expected it and accepted it, for the most part....:lol:

Same I’m glad we are on the same page there. I thought the Toffoli trade was premature and I think this off-season will be premature. Maybe I’m just picky. Next year was our big year of cap relief. Im not even anti Benning. Finally a rebuild. Guess I wish people had a little more faith now that the real work has happened over the past 3 or 4 years 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They'll be looking at re-signing him, most likely. He's a massive player, but doesn't use any where near enough. Would he be the ideal partner for Hughes? Probably a pretty good fit. 

I assume they will re sign him as well, but you never know.  They are in a phase where a tear down may be the right call.  They have a pretty barren prospect pool as well.  A guy like him would completely change the look of our team. 

Schmidt

2022 1st

Any 2  prospects not named Rathone or Podkolzin

Make it happen JB!

• Vintage 1

Just now, Devron44 said:

Same I’m glad we are on the same page there. I thought the Toffoli trade was premature and I think this off-season will be premature. Maybe I’m just picky. Next year was our big year of cap relief. Im not even anti Benning. Finally a rebuild. Guess I wish people had a little more faith now that the real work has happened over the past 3 or 4 years 

It would have been better had the rebuild started shortly after the playoff loss to San Jose. To me, it was obvious that the team wasn't capable of staying competitive, and needed to be rebuilt. I hope that Benning is smarter with FA signings this time around and signs vital pieces rather than veteran role players. I'm alright with a trade as well, as long as it nets the team a functional core piece. My preference would be a big, talented, physical right handed defenseman to work with Hughes. Re-signing Hamonic is a must for me too. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This letter went out to our Season Ticket Members this morning, per Francesco Aquilini.

E17R71JVoAMKtnP?format=jpg&name=large

Rathbone mentioned but not OJ. I would hope this team hasn’t given up on him yet. I don’t believe he’s been given a big enough sample size. Interesting his name wasn’t dropped with the rest of the youth movement. 

7 minutes ago, BPA said:

Is there any UFAs that the Canucks would want??

I'm so done with JB overpaying (in $$ and term) for vets.

Ryan Murray - 28 

Jamie Oleksiak - 28

The UFA class of 2021 is averaging out to be late 20s - early 30s. The team needs younger players to compliment the core in place.

3 hours ago, shayster007 said:

What's the problem? He was asked what they can do as an organization to get better. His answer was bringing the farm team closer for more access to viewing of prospects and a easier transition for players to come up to the bigs is a positive and something that got better.

It's absolutely unbelievable how eager people are to complain about anything. It's shocking because in my experience it's the same group of people who cry snowflake constantly. 

Reporter….. where can you improve? Cap allocation, communication?

Jimbo…..we’re happy that the farm team is coming to Abbotsford, that’s going to pay dividends.

lol

7 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I assume they will re sign him as well, but you never know.  They are in a phase where a tear down may be the right call.  They have a pretty barren prospect pool as well.  A guy like him would completely change the look of our team. 

Schmidt

2022 1st

Any 2  prospects not named Rathone or Podkolzin

Make it happen JB!

Might get it done, but I'm not sure that Schmidt would replace Parayko. They lost Pietrangelo and replaced him with Justin Faulk, which might have been the wrong move. Not sure Armstrong is going to be okay with trading away size that can play for a smaller offensive minded player. Time will tell. 

8 minutes ago, BPA said:

Is there any UFAs that the Canucks would want??

I'm so done with JB overpaying (in $$ and term) for vets.

Guys I'd look at signing:

RHD

Montour

Larsson

Ceci

3C

Wennberg

Bjustad

Bonino

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Much obliged, Vintage. I've always enjoyed Canada Day as the trades and signings poured in and seeing your posts on here providing the details, and outdoing folks like Friedman and the like. 

Some other notable dates.

8573DCDE-B7E0-4B9C-96C2-D6EA8A9C5C7C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It would have been better had the rebuild started shortly after the playoff loss to San Jose. To me, it was obvious that the team wasn't capable of staying competitive, and needed to be rebuilt. I hope that Benning is smarter with FA signings this time around and signs vital pieces rather than veteran role players. I'm alright with a trade as well, as long as it nets the team a functional core piece. My preference would be a big, talented, physical right handed defenseman to work with Hughes. Re-signing Hamonic is a must for me too. 

Agree and on the defencemen I hope so.

Might be the most interesting off-season yet. Hopefully in a good way 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Josepho said:

The fact that our attendance stayed similar while we finished 29th and 28th in 2017 and 2016 should suggest that this market can tolerate losing hockey and that the idea that this market couldn't stomach a rebuild was baseless.

Here's the thing....I don't go to games to watch only the results and check the standings and those I know who do attend are of the similar mind.   If I'm entertained, even when we lose, it's a fun time for me.  It's an event - I meet friends, see people at the rink who I've come to know, etc.   People take different things away from it and none are "right" or "wrong".  I've been at some REAAAALLY painful games in the past.  One on/around New Years we were didn't get a sniff of a goal and got blown out.  The last couple of years have been pretty exciting in comparison.  This year doesn't really count for me because I knew they were up against it.  This wasn't the ideal environment TO succeed in.

It doesn't matter WHY fans stay, you were suggesting they aren't (sticking around), but it isn't true.  

You look at where we finished but there's a bigger picture too.  Who's in the line up?  Are they giving us reason to be excited?  What's the storyline?  The Sedins closing out their careers was a memorable year for me as I watched that wind down.

This market CAN tolerate losing because we've been here before and experience tells us "it's not all bad".  It's pretty tough to win a cup and some of us understand that.

I'm on the fence in Benninggate.  I'm ok either way.   My "job" in all of this is to cheer my team on and if that gets painful, I'll stop.  (No I won't).  Sports has been in my life since I was a child and it gives me great pleasure.  Even losing becomes ok over time because it's simply part of the deal.  It won't last forever.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, BCNate said:

This is what happens when you change course imo / fix what isn't broken.

To Faulk and Krug being your top two minute D....no hindsighting here. Parayko still there, as are a few other  now older D....

From Pietrangel, Parayko.....Edmundson, Bouwmeester, Bortuzzo, Gunnarrsson...

That SCC group - was hard to play against.  Wasn't that hard to call at the time - that they were heading in the wrong direction.

Bozak would be another decent veteran bottom 6 C cheap placeholding option hitting free agency.

With Green locked up, Clark is next. Then Huggy Bear and Petey player wise. We need to make decisions with players like Eriksson, Baer, Beagle, Roussel and pending FAs Edler, Hamonic, Sutter. I honestly feel like we should part with them all except maybe Edler since he can still log top pairing minutes and valuable on the PK as well. Goaltending wise we’re set with a tandem of Demko and Holtby barring Seattle picking the latter. DiPietro is a year or two away so we have to find a way to add a goalie whether through FA, trade or draft to back up Demko since Demko is the man but he needs a reliable backup who can eat 10-15 starts. Eyes will be on the expansion draft and entry draft especially who will be protected. I think this is our protection list: Bo, Petey, Miller, Boeser, Pearson, Lind, Motte, Juolevi, Schmidt, Hughes and Demko. I was torn between protecting Lind or Gadjovich but I had to choose Lind because with Virtanen’s progression not going as planned, Lind has shown promise that he can be an NHLer plus he plays RW. If Seattle picks Gadjovich, so be it. I won’t be butt hurt because we can easily replace him this upcoming draft and FA. I’m very excited about the draft lottery as I feel this is the year we win the lotto. The opportunity to pick a franchise player is a chance you can’t pass on. GCG!

Edited by Beary Sweet