The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media Availability with GM JB and Head Coach Green (& Follow Up With JB on 650)

Rate this topic

-DLC-

16 hours ago, Zhukini said:

He's gonna get cooked alive. 

the halfwits in the Van media couldn't 'cook' microwave popcorn.

but they can wind up the kids toys in this market for sure = that's easier than microwave popcorn.

Wind Up Toy GIFs | Tenor

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Actually it wasn't even Vegas who stated that, it was Darth Canuck.

That being said, to say that no other coach in the league could have done better is a ridiculous statement. There are plenty of talented coaches in the NHL who are capable of dealing with multiple challenges to their team, which is proven every single season. Green is one of 31 of them. Clearly to make it to the NHL is indicative of being good enough. 

I think Green would probably bristle at the statement himself. He's aware and knows the lay of the land in the league and how many solid coaches work in the league. 

Agreed, saying no other coach could have done better is a ridiculous statement that is basically impossible to back up empirically. But stating that an NHL coach would admit that a different coach would of done a better job is equally ridiculous.

I want a coach that has a solid gameplan that gives you a chance to consistently win. Currently, I feel Vancouver wins games with low percentage plays, where almost every win is a steal. This means our only real shot is a Cinderella run, because we won't be a consistent threat like Tampa, Vegas, and Colorado. 

You can blame it on the roster, but AV did more with less in 06-07, but then adapted the strategy when we had an improved roster. Green will have to do the same, or we'll just be cannon fodder for other teams.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

If people were never to question or think outside the box on any issue in life, we are nothing more than sheeple (or Republicans) :)

Dialog and different opinions are good  if respectful

No need to name call on different viewpoints

One of my old school buddies is a Publican  ...... runs a nice bar on Rose Street in Edinburgh.  Probably never seen a hockey game in his life, but has an opinion on everything.  I'll e-mail him and ask what he thinks of Benning & Green (likely thinks they are a brewery or something)

Edited by Googlie
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This letter went out to our Season Ticket Members this morning, per Francesco Aquilini.

E17R71JVoAMKtnP?format=jpg&name=large

looks like he cobbled that together on his iPhone while dropping his morning deuce. 

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

7 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Agreed, saying no other coach could have done better is a ridiculous statement that is basically impossible to back up empirically. But stating that an NHL coach would admit that a different coach would of done a better job is equally ridiculous.

Here's what I said:

"I have a feeling that if asked even Green would throw Trotz or Cooper some recognition as great coaches, and say that they would have risen to the challenge as well."

Where do I state that Green would have stated that another coach would have done better?

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This letter went out to our Season Ticket Members this morning, per Francesco Aquilini.

E17R71JVoAMKtnP?format=jpg&name=large

I guess either Francesco was watching the Dark Knight or reading Thomas Fuller when he penned this letter.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, oldnews said:

the halfwits in the Van media couldn't 'cook' microwave popcorn.

but they can wind up the kids toys in this market for sure = that's easier than microwave popcorn.

Wind Up Toy GIFs | Tenor

ab772eacd8e1f5072cc26a732ffbf509.jpg.c1261eb64c92e9a90144a43f75a964b4.jpg

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

The one question I'd like to ask Green would regard Juolevi.

I thought he played quite well in the games he got this year - looked poised, played bigger than his frame imo - handled some hard minutes, and pk minutes - solid outcomes imo - on a team that wasn't particularly healthy.

I would have guessed that he'd see more ice time / more games than 23.

Was there something in his game that was cause for concern?  Is Green less impressed / see reason to get OJ more development time before increasing his role?  Would he temper my optimism over OJ's future?

Were they just wanting to ease him in - to meter his exposure?

Was there anything about his health or fitness that might have effected this?

Or were they looking for a more veteran blueline due to the extremely high amounts of replacements and youth in the forward group? (perhaps not enough support for a young D in his role, without veteran shutdown centers in the lineup, etc.)

That's the one question I'd love to hear his take on.

I have mad respect and appreciation for Green - would like to hear a thoughtful question asked on the matter so I can gain some insight into Green's perspective on Juolevi's development/trajectory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I just want to see this team better next season

Who doesn't? I'm hoping for the best for the team. I'd like to see them

• be a more consistent threat on the powerplay
  • be tighter and harder defensively
  • play a more consistent game
  • have a more physical forecheck, and
  • provide Demko with more support instead of a shooting gallery. 

Looks like Benning is going to have to make some moves via trade and sign some free agents, as per Aqulini's letter. Should be interesting to see how that plays out.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, awalk said:

ab772eacd8e1f5072cc26a732ffbf509.jpg.c1261eb64c92e9a90144a43f75a964b4.jpg

Woosh.

The post you responded to regarded Benning and Green getting "cooked" by the media in a press conference.

You've failed to read context - and believe it has something to do with "children" that I've lost touch with.

Maybe you are wrong, here, ironically.

• Cheers 1