The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media Availability with GM JB and Head Coach Green (& Follow Up With JB on 650)

Rate this topic

-DLC-

One the lines from FA’s letter that interests me is “As owners, we remain committed to providing Jim and his management team with the full resources they need to take the Canucks to the next level.”

I’ll be curious to see if that is demonstrated in any meaningful way this off-season such as buyouts, Clark, team president, signings, etc.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Who doesn't? I'm hoping for the best for the team. I'd like to see them

• be a more consistent threat on the powerplay
  • be tighter and harder defensively
  • play a more consistent game
  • have a more physical forecheck, and
  • provide Demko with more support instead of a shooting gallery. 

Looks like Benning is going to have to make some moves via trade and sign some free agents, as per Aqulini's letter. Should be interesting to see how that plays out.

Gotta fix the PP and bring Hamonic back to play with Hughes, if not Hamonic then someone else. They will probably bring Edler back for a couple years. 

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Woosh.

The post you responded to regarded Benning and Green getting "cooked" by the media in a press conference.

You've failed to read context - and believe it has something to do with "children" that I've lost touch with.

Maybe you are wrong, here, ironically.

5agbto.jpg.1f17b3958dfaf5e8d00f854ff33202d3.jpg

51 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I guess it will be a wake up call for you when you start hearing about Vancouver fans going to watch their games.

Do you say this same stuff to the Seahawks fans in Vancouver? Because they don't follow the B.C. Lions I doubt it, maybe you should watch for the door instead. 

People are free to follow whatever teams they wish. However any Canuck fans who change allegiances for the team down the highway are not a brand of fan I wanted to be associated with.

Funny you mention the Seahawks. They’ve been one of my top two favourite teams (just SLIGHTLY after the Canucks) since I was a kid. Like the Canucks, they had a long history of mediocrity. Over the years I had a few buddies who migrated towards other, more trendy (and winning) teams, like the Cowboys or Giants etc. I NEVER abandoned the Seahawks. And when they finally won the Super Bowl I finally felt that FEELING that I had watch other teams fans have over the years. I still have that game recorded on my PVR.

I am going to stick with the Canucks in the hope they provide the exultation I felt when the Seahawks won it all. Maybe it never happens in my lifetime…it certainly doesn’t look like it will happen in my fathers….and chances are decent that the Kraken win a Cup before the Nucks do. But A TRUE CANUCK FAN holds out for feeling this joy someday, and they don’t remotely consider hitching their wagon to a new, shiny toy like the Seattle Kraken. Those folks who do that I hold in a fair amount of contempt.

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

One the lines from FA’s letter that interests me is “As owners, we remain committed to providing Jim and his management team with the full resources they need to take the Canucks to the next level.”

I’ll be curious to see if that is demonstrated in any meaningful way this off-season such as buyouts, Clark, team president, signings, etc.

I noticed that too. They should get Clark back in the fold as soon as possible (if he's willing) and allow for buyouts to happen. He does speak about strengthening the team via trades and free agency, so I believe that Benning will have to make something happen there. Hopefully it works....

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Agreed, saying no other coach could have done better is a ridiculous statement that is basically impossible to back up empirically. But stating that an NHL coach would admit that a different coach would of done a better job is equally ridiculous.

I fail to see how a even an average assistant coach couldn’t get more out of power play even with EP out.  But maybe I’m out to lunch since Hughes, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, Schmidt are all scrubs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Do what you can to bring Clark back, do other signings after 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Hey, everyone is free to cheer for whomever.  I will never abandon my team....in my blood.  Couldn't do it.

Nobody i know, including a lot of aunts and uncles who were around since the start, quite a few living in other provinces, would ever consider leaving the Canucks.   Its the best team ever made.   All the fan suffrage doesn't matter.   It builds character.  Let the ones leave who want to leave.   Aside from the 3-4 obvious trolls who aren't Canuck fans that visit here frequently, this is a great place to spend time and discuss hockey.   Sure the younger generation which i'm also sure is who we are mostly talking to because none of those aunts or uncles visit this site but still put on their jerseys and watch the game ritualistically and cheer them on - find this difficult if they grew up with nothing but winning from the WCE era on.    But shame.   Shame. Shame.   Kraken enjoy them if you must. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Gotta fix the PP and bring Hamonic back to play with Hughes, if not Hamonic then someone else. They will probably bring Edler back for a couple years. 

Without a doubt. Hamonic is a solid partner for Hughes. He should be a priority, as consistent blueliners like him are vital to a team trying to compete. Edler shouldn't be a priority. Only if he's willing to come back for $2M, and even then, Juolevi should be given more minutes and a full time spot on the d-corps. If Bieksa is expendable to this team, so is Edler. 

3 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I'm okay with Green and Benning coming back but the way all this was handled was terrible and is probably going to cost us Clark.  If it was indecision at the ownership level, they have hurt their own product and bottom line by creating a dysfunctional aura around the team. 

What actually happened?  Did they hire Courtnall to do a 10 day assessment of the organization that resulted in a recommendation to retain Benning and Green?  This is nearly as messy and untransparent as the Linden departure and related purges in the front office.  How is that even possible when they didn't fire anyone?  It takes a rare talent to screw up a vote of confidence this badly.

Have been thinking the same.  I don't share the idea that a dysfunctional aura around the team necessarily emanates from Benning/Green or even Aquilini - I think a large part of that is the one-liner championships that this market 'wins' all the time.

But regarding Clark - I'm not sure how he was supposed to make a decision - not knowing if / who his GM, head coach, etc were going to be.

It's possible that the team decided to wait until season's end to make these kinds of announcements - for decent enough reasons - that's when team's 'normally' reassess, etc.

It's also possible that Benning, Green, Clark et al all knew beforehand what we now know - so perhaps the timeline / appearance of waiting - is just appearance.

I agree with you in the sense that I don't think there's anything particularly pivotal in post outbreak hockey that 'should have' effected the decision significantly - I think any decisions 'should have' been based on what the team looked like, did, before the outbreak set in....

The whole Courtnall, Sedins newslines - I'm not sure the timing of those helped - because while I'd welcome the Sedins with open arms, for example - the overlap of those types of news - do create opportunities for sideshows that have little to do with the more primary decisions.

It's also possible that FA et al have a sense of humour - and are getting the knack of reverse-trolling the drama-addicted elements of the media.  If that were the case  - hats off to them.  It may not be as effective as a proactive media officer - but there's definite entertainment value there - and this is an entertainment business lol.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, IRR said:

Doesn't say anything...b**** & complain! Says something...b**** & complain! This organization can't win ever with some...

I'm not one of the complainers, brah ...

4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

This stuck out to me too. Feels like re-commitment to becoming a premier franchise once again.

Thinking about what Elliotte has been saying - it feels like ownership did kind of concede this year by putting the brakes on spending & thereby tying management's hands. And obviously the year went much worse than anyone would've hoped/thought, on multiple levels.

Seems like the last week has been them realizing there was deeper damage done this season than just a team missing the playoffs. 

Maybe its me wanting to be hopeful, but I have to think they are sincere in what Francesco said there. 

• Vintage 1