The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media Availability with GM JB and Head Coach Green (& Follow Up With JB on 650)

Rate this topic

-DLC-

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Without a doubt. Hamonic is a solid partner for Hughes. He should be a priority, as consistent blueliners like him are vital to a team trying to compete. Edler shouldn't be a priority. Only if he's willing to come back for $2M, and even then, Juolevi should be given more minutes and a full time spot on the d-corps. If Bieksa is expendable to this team, so is Edler. 

Juice was one of the few assets the team could move - for futures - at the outset of a transition.

I don't see Edler the same way, at all - and further, Edler aside, the entire left side are youth/green - Hughes, Juolevi and Rathbone I like - a lot - but I wouldn't want to fire that group into Edler's minutes.

I also think that people might want to slow down on the assumptions that Edler is done.

The guy was a rented mule in an insane schedule and a covid outbreak season...The last month+ must have been literally exhausting/taxing - even moreso than his 'normal' workload.

I think the Edler that would be returning next season - hopefully under more 'normal' circumstances - would be an Edler that could still help this team - a team that is going to still need a hard minutes workhorse - if it's not Edler - it'll need to be some other LHD that can handle his role (and even then, the health of the blueline can't be assumed, so...)  I think Edler returning is borderline no-brainer.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Juice was one of the few assets the team could move - for futures - at the outset of a transition.

I don't see Edler the same way, at all - and further, Edler aside, the entire left side are youth/green - Hughes, Juolevi and Rathbone I like - a lot - but I wouldn't want to fire that group into Edler's minutes.

I also think that people might want to slow down on the assumptions that Edler is done.

The guy was a rented mule in an insane schedule and a covid outbreak season...The last month+ must have been literally exhausting/taxing - even moreso than his 'normal' workload.

I think the Edler that would be returning next season - hopefully under more 'normal' circumstances - would be an Edler that could still help this team - a team that is going to still need a hard minutes workhorse - if it's not Edler - it'll need to be some other LHD that can handle his role (and even then, the health of the blueline can't be assumed, so...)  I think Edler returning is borderline no-brainer.

Edler was still playing 20+ minutes this year, still utilized as our top pairing shutdown defensemen. Juolevi is still very green and not currently ready to eat Edler minutes. Rathbone is not the make up of player to eat Edler minutes.
Green trusts the hell out of Edler and he's confirmed to be back now.
Anyone who still thinks Edler isn't back next year is out to lunch.

• Cheers 2

Just now, IRR said:

Well, it was still a pointless post BRAH! 

it was a comment on how amateurishly worded and quickly thrown together the statement read to me. his normal letters and statements usually carry more of an element of professionalism. in other words, suck it. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I fail to see how a even an average assistant coach couldn’t get more out of power play even with EP out.  But maybe I’m out to lunch since Hughes, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, Schmidt are all scrubs.

Again, since Brown took over we have scored the 8th most PP goals in the league. The first year of that didn't have EP, Hughes, Miller or Schmidt and the 2nd year didn't have Hughes, Miller or Schmidt

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This stuck out to me too. Feels like re-commitment to becoming a premier franchise once again.

Thinking about what Elliotte has been saying - it feels like ownership did kind of concede this year by putting the brakes on spending & thereby tying management's hands. And obviously the year went much worse than anyone would've hoped/thought, on multiple levels.

Seems like the last week has been them realizing there was deeper damage done this season than just a team missing the playoffs. 

Maybe its me wanting to be hopeful, but I have to think they are sincere in what Francesco said there. 

I don't think that's the only take away possible here.

In fact - I thought that the 'right' way to go about the last offseason - would be conservatively.

For me - the Demko/Markstrom decision - the e.d. somewhat dictated a 'trajectory' choice for the franchise - and imo they made the right call.  I 'would have' executed a similar 'plan' - of letting at least two of our three expiring UFAs move on, in spite of the quality of players that they are/were.  For me, the most difficult to replace was Tanev - and critically, he was Hughes' partner - so I'd have prioritized him for a number of reasons, additionally, not least of which was the relative wealth we have in youg goaltending and young RW prospects (I thought Hoglander was likely ready) - and he's not the only RW in the pipeline, so as difficult as it was to let go of Marky and Tofu - there were mitigating circumstances (including the covid cap stall) that I think made it reasonable to 'set back' the trajectory more in line with Demko and the rest of the youth.

That said - the team still had the potential to uptick from within with youth emerging - and had a few good additions - that gave them a chance to relatively 'sustain' where they were - but that really depended on Demko, EP, Hughes, etc sustaining or improving....In Hughes case, the loss of Tanev was 'Hughe' - in EP's case, he simply wasn't healthy, in Demko's case he had a rough start like most of his peers....But still, I loved the way the team rebounded, went on runs and got themself back into striking distance pre outbreak - that imo was the 'representative' stretch of the season after working out some of the early/preseason puck moving braincramps....

I think they should be conservative again this offseason.  I 'expect' more uptick from within, and more youth push - I think they 'should' bring back 'foundation' - will still need Edler, Sutter, Beagle types in transition - but be conservative and short term about it - with the exception of perhaps some opportunity shopping for youth via the expansion draft and some of the players that might be available as a result (ie Cal Foote - and we also might have 'room' to add a forward we could protect).

refresh,refresh,refresh,refresh,refresh,refresh,refreshrefresh,refresh,refresh,refreshrefresh,refresh,refresh,refreshrefresh,refresh,refresh,refreshrefresh,refresh,refresh,refreshrefresh,refresh,refresh,refreshrefresh,refresh,refresh,refreshrefresh,refresh,refresh,refreshrefresh,refresh,refresh,refreshrefresh,refresh,refresh,refresh

23 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I fail to see how a even an average assistant coach couldn’t get more out of power play even with EP out.  But maybe I’m out to lunch since Hughes, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, Schmidt are all scrubs.

this is really overstating the relationship between coach and player when it comes to execution. it's not like the guy programs the players like robots and they go out on the ice and execute the plan 100% every time, so if it fails it must be due to strategy.

these are human beings who have tried and failed to accomplish their goals this year, both small and large, individually and collectively, due to a number of obvious factors and surely a number more behind the scenes.

one of the most obvious ones, to me at least, is the complete and total lack of confidence. likely it's due to being humbled by the golden knights in the playoffs, followed by losing FOUR key players both on the ice AND in the room, followed by not getting any opportunity to integrate the new guys who to this point in their careers they've only known as competitors (in a violent sport, no less), followed by the benn/miller situation, followed by the terrible start, followed by the injuries, followed by the covid outbreak, and followed by all the off ice noise about contracts and unhappiness and fan outrage and so on and so forth. 

maybe that had something to do with it.

• Cheers 1