The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reflections from the newest developments

Rate this topic

Dazzle

59 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Imo, a rebuilding club (like the California teams) would be going for a top 3 pick; whearas, the Canucks would be more of a mid level bottom feeder due to the usual 5-10 draft positions - hope JB, continues his draft mojo & some teams goes off boards.   

Except when they were 2nd bottom, they had to pick 5th... Without the rotten lottery luck, we'd picking lower than we have over the last 6 years...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I don't see EP filling out as strong as Bo not a chance, Hughes not a chance, Hoglander wont be as big and strong as Horvat, will be gritty but not strong enough. Brock gets shoved a lot, he needs to bulk up to hold his ground so he can stay healthy and snipe if he works out with Horvat then he might have a chance. Still not enough. 

Bo is an ox.  He’s been a big body since he was two.  Petey and Hughes are different frames than ?Both, but will absolutely be heavier and stronger as they physically mature.  We need players with skill, smarts, compete, and character.  Clearly Benning is building a group with those qualities.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Except when they were 2nd bottom, they had to pick 5th... Without the rotten lottery luck, we'd picking lower than we have over the last 6 years...

And we still got Petey, Hughes, and Podkolzin in those drafts.  That’s fantastic results for us.  :towel:

• Cheers 2

50 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Are you watching the playoffs at all? Did you watch Canucks and Vegas last year? That was men playing against boys, these young core you speak of as skilled as they are are too small for playoffs, they not going to grow anymore, they might fill out, well they have to if they want a chance at a cup one day. Or are they just going to rely on a goalie every year to carry them everywhere they go? Take the hits, take the injuries, as long as our goalie bails us out of all the time I guess things will be great, will continue acquiring more small skilled players who aren't suited for playoffs just suited for regular season, and rely on the goalie for the playoffs. Good luck there.

True to a certain extend....

Our best players were/are still quite young... It was actually amazing they went as far as they did... Expect Brock, EP etc being far stronger next time around.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I get it, very familiar with the Matthews draft.  Perhaps this is the year (?); were the percentages wont matter for the Canucks.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

I get it, very familiar with the Matthews draft.  Perhaps this is the year (?)

Think we are getting so used to being shafted, that anything bar a drop or two in the draft standing would be a minor miracle... so yes sure why not. Let break the crappy cycle and smash it ::D

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Eriksson does provide some relief, but there is dead cap space. I forget how much, but it might be worth it if it's spread out over time.

I think an Eriksson buyout would be largely symbolic in reality, I forget the number but if you replace him with a player on league minimum you might save a few $100k, but nothing that gives us any room to sign impact players. Same with Beagle, and I think you actually make out better financially by sending Roussel to the minors.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I get it, very familiar with the Matthews draft.  Perhaps this is the year (?)

If we do win one if the top two picks, who do we choose?  Power?  Clarke?  Guys at the top this year could be really good, or not so good.  They definitely have faults.  Ceulemans, Morrow, or Evidson (sp?) could easily end up better than guys selected higher.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, TheCustodian said:

I think an Eriksson buyout would be largely symbolic in reality, I forget the number but if you replace him with a player on league minimum you might save a few $100k, but nothing that gives us any room to sign impact players. Same with Beagle, and I think you actually make out better financially by sending Roussel to the minors.

I think our biggest savings via buyout come from Holtby and Jake.  I think it’s almost a certainty we buy out Jake.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think our biggest savings via buyout come from Holtby and Jake.  I think it’s almost a certainty we buy out Jake.  

Yeah I agree, Virtanen is gone. There is no other way to resolve that situation since he now basically cannot be traded.

Holtby also makes the most sense, assuming we bring in another veteran for the Seattle draft. It would be very out-of-character for this management group to do that though, since Holtby was just signed and had a decent end to the year.

I think the most likely scenario is that Virtanen is the only buy-out. I could see them buying out Eriksson or Beagle to appease the fan base and demonstrate they're actually serious about making the roster better; but neither of those moves will help actually improve the roster very much.

I have looked at the numbers and I don't see a lot of opportunity to add any salary, even with buyouts.

If you wanted to be really aggressive you could include picks or prospects to actually move Eriksson or Beagle's contracts and not buy them out, and plus buying out Virtanen would make you much more competitive in free agency.

Edited by TheCustodian
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, TheCustodian said:

Yeah I agree, Virtanen is gone. There is no other way to resolve that situation since he now basically cannot be traded.

Holtby also makes the most sense, assuming we bring in another veteran for the Seattle draft. It would be very out-of-character for this management group to do that though, since Holtby was just signed and had a decent end to the year.

I think the most likely scenario is that Virtanen is the only buy-out. I could see them buying out Eriksson or Beagle to appease the fan base and demonstrate they're actually serious about making the roster better; but neither of those moves will help actually improve the roster very much.

I have looked at the numbers and I don't see a lot of opportunity to add any salary, even with buyouts.

Jake for sure, and maybe Rooster?  

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JV will be on his way regardless of outcome... He has become too much of a distraction... What a waste of talent...shame really

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jake for sure, and maybe Rooster?  

I will have to look at the numbers again at some point, but I think you actually make out better with Roussel by burying him in the minors as opposed to a buy-out due to his contract structure.

If Ferland comes off LTIR, and thus actually becomes a buy-out candidate, he would make the most space I think.

Edited by TheCustodian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

To me, the difference between a hater and a criticical fan lies in the level of objectivity they have and also the ability to hope for the best but fear the worst.

Thats the kind of fan I feel I am.

I dont wish for them to fail. Just the opposite.

I do feel like Green and the team could be much more effective next year with an experienced associate coach to run the defense (the Rick Bowness to AV scenario if you will) and a new special teams coach as well. 

I am ok with Green being back as I have said before. I think he has been ok. A part of the problem but not the main problem if that makes sense. 

The team Benning has put together is a bigger problem. But the strategies and style of the team by the coaches are an ill fit for the group of players.

This is not a dump and chase team or a passive d team of players. They look and play much better when they are aggressive. The style needs to change along with the perssonel imo.

Good points but aren’t one of the coaches duty - to maximize the potential of a roster despite the talent level or is it the other way around ?; and based on yesterday’s presser with Greens resigning - it seems to be the talent level, so more roster tweaking are coming at the expense of unknown and cheaper lottery tickets such prospects & picks.  Just hoping for a balance approach in this offseason, by not mortgaging too much of the future for the present.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

JV will be on his way regardless of outcome... He has become too much of a distraction... What a waste of talent...shame really

Jake is the perfect example of why our first round picks must show skill, smarts, and character, or we don’t take them.  Jake has the skill, but definitely lacks smarts and character.  

• Cheers 3

11 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

So, anyone that disagrees with you is not a fan? I disagree and guarantee I’ve shed more blood, sweat and beer cheering for the Canucks than you ever will and that’s why I voice my opinion and I think FA is screwing up. I may be wrong, I may be right, doesn’t matter, this is a forum and I have every right to post what I feel without being attacked.

AMEN !

We all want the best for this team and city.  That we share in common and no one should ever lose sight of that no matter what our differences are !  

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

22 hours ago, smithers joe said:

we've all been disapointed from time to time, but decisioned have been made, time to put on our big boy pants and get behind our team. nothing worse than reading the discontent over and over forever. that's like having a nagging wife. 

You should go back and stay in the 1950's with your benevolent sexism.  The flip to your whinging is that I don't need big girl pants to voice an opinion differing from

those that accept mediocrity.

• RoughGame 2

Just now, RU SERIOUS said:

AMEN !

We all want the best for this team and city.  That we share in common and no one should ever lose sight of that no matter what our differences are !  

And more bike lanes for scooters.  :emot-parrot:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

AMEN !

Ditto - just here to have a discussion about our favourite team and not be lectured.  

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1