The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reflections from the newest developments

Rate this topic

Dazzle

34 minutes ago, tas said:

nail on the head, pretty much. the criticism is a defense mechanism -- even if I get hurt, at least I was right and don't look like an idiot for picking the wrong team. 

it's like betting against your team so you win either way. 

In some cases sure. In others I would not say that is accurate. 

People can criticize and not be hoping for failure at the same time.

I criticize based on the hope for improvement and more than anything hope to be proven wrong.

So that kind of blows your theory.

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Fake news might be the dumbest expression and outlook I have ever seen. Honestly, its just a ridiculous attempt to dismiss someone else's opinion really.

it's not about your opinion, it's about something you stated as fact without backing it up. 

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Nothing wrong about that as long as there are some understanding & is welcomed by the other side but if iit has digressed to mostly lecturing or labeling then - time to move on.   Not a good environment to fostering any discussion - taking to a person who doesn’t know but hates you for disagreeing 

hate the idea, not the person 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

In some cases sure. In others I would not say that is accurate. 

People can criticize and not be hoping for failure at the same time.

I criticize based on the hope for improvement and more than anything hope to be proven wrong.

So that kind of blows your theory.

... that perfectly BACKS my theory. of course you're not hoping for failure while you're criticising, that's the whole point. you want to have your cake and eat it too. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, tas said:

it's not about your opinion, it's about something you stated as fact without backing it up. 

Pretty sure its easy to find out what Benning said about players he has traded for. I could go get you quotes if you want. Or you could just google "Benning acquires x player" and his comments will be there.

39 minutes ago, RomanP said:

That is actually pretty simple. It’s a school of Tony Gallagher - if you constantly criticize and the team doesn’t win - you can always claim that you are a genius with foresight; if the team wins - everyone around you is happy and no one remembers your constant criticism.

I think part of it is people being conditioned for disappointment: There have been a lot of rough years for Canucks fans. Continually being disappointed makes some people expect disappointment and that is the lense they view the team though. I don't share that view (personally, it is not a fun way for me to enjoy the team), but I understand it. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Pretty sure its easy to find out what Benning said about players he has traded for. I could go get you quotes if you want. Or you could just google "Benning acquires x player" and his comments will be there.

I'd like you to do it. for each one. because he "always" says the same things. 

I'll wait. 

• Cheers 2

56 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

When I look at the UFA list beyond the top ones, I see a lot of cringe worthy potential contracts there for "veteran leaders" with limited on ice contributions.

Isn't that always the case?

Even in hindsight, Beagle isn't a bad player, and he's a known entity. It just sucks that offense is such a black hole for the fourth line.

3 hours ago, Provost said:

No, that is the appropriate response to the folks that are denigrating any posters who dare to say something negative about any aspect of the team.

There’s a big difference between “saying something negative about any aspect of the team” and “saying only negative about every aspect of the team”. This forum is full of people who only show up when there’s something negative to say and are nowhere to be found when the praise is warranted. I’m not going to point fingers, everyone knows who they are...

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Maybe part of the reason I hate it is its a Trump thing. Ya, i think thats probably true lol.

Fake news is in fact a real thing. The US had misreported on a lot of stuff, with or without Trump.

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Duplicate post....

Yah, my bad, I searched for Russian army marching in unison and only watched the first few second and thought that was what I was posting. My point was, that’s what it looks like when everyone thinks the same, didn’t mean to post anything related to Nazis.

Sorry.

• Haha 1

Just now, tas said:

... that perfectly BACKS my theory. of course you're not hoping for failure while you're criticising, that's the whole point. you want to have your cake and eat it too. 

Or, you see things that you think are mistakes, misteps, etc and you voice them on a forum dedicated to talking about the team.

I think for your theory to work (of painting anyone who criticizes with such a broad brush), you have to also say that people who endlessly see nothing but positives are pretty much doing the same thing in a different way. They are spinning everything as a positive to avoid the possibility they are wrong. 

I have seen many people claim that being a bottom of the league cap maxed team is an acceptable outcome. They have various justifications for it but the overriding reason for that is they can then have their cake and eat it too.

If no outcome or result is considered a bad one, they also win either way.

2 minutes ago, RomanP said:

There’s a big difference between “saying something negative about any aspect of the team” and “saying only negative about every aspect of the team”. This forum is full of people who only show up when there’s something negative to say and are nowhere to be found when the praise is warranted. I’m not going to point fingers, everyone knows who they are...

I find most people are fairly consistent in their opinions and don’t randomly hate everything, this forum is definitely not full of people like you claim, maybe the odd one here or there but that’s about it.

for our enjoyment, i'ld like to see fans criticise the team but not every day saying the same things. i for one want to enjoy what happens this year. not have to be bombarded with the same stuff all day, and day after day. that is how i get my enjoyment. make your statement and then move on. if you don't like benning, that's fine, we get it, just don't tell us every day.

2 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

for our enjoyment, i'ld like to see fans criticise the team but not every day saying the same things. i for one want to enjoy what happens this year. not have to be bombarded with the same stuff all day, and day after day. that is how i get my enjoyment. make your statement and then move on. if you don't like benning, that's fine, we get it, just don't tell us every day.

I went a month without posting “fire Green” and look what happened, they rehired him.

44 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I understand that a forum is a platform to have discussions not an echo chamber.  Maybe change this site from a discussion forum to a clubhouse.

Criticism can be constructive and destructive. Part of destructive criticism is a non stop continued repetition of the same point of view. Destructive criticism never helped anyone.

Just now, smithers joe said:

Maybe other people get their enjoyment by criticizing the team or voicing and discussing their opinions. Maybe they get tired of hearing how great Benning is every day. Both extremes do what you are suggesting and there is really no difference.

No one is responsible for your enjoyment other than you. Like everyone else, you have the choice of what to read here and what to ignore.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RomanP said:

Criticism can be constructive and destructive. Part of destructive criticism is a non stop continued repetition of the same point of view. Destructive criticism never helped anyone.

So can praise and endless cheerleading though.

Ever seen how a cult operates? Its essentially what you are saying here other than its from the other side.

3 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I went a month without posting “fire Green” and look what happened, they rehired him.

so what did that tell you? they didn't agree with your opinion. i don't think they have to agree with mine either. i do believe to their decisions too.