The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion)Why the canes,bruins,knights are so good on the PK. article and theory included

Here  is a article from Eliteprospects paywall.they mentioned that the reason they are so good on the PK is because they have skilled agressive forecheckers that kill penalties. they all have lines that out score their  opponents because of using elite talent.

Do you think that Podkolzin and Hoglander can be these aggressive skilled forecheckers?

what  is a power kill?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18IyQvNgp-MK0V0-Gul-3OwOasFuuppiK/view 

The value of turning your penalty kill into a power kill

We typically centre most of our hockey conversations, effort, and analysis around what happens during the course of 5-on-5 play. Every once in a while, we'll really get wild and shift our attention for a second towards power play formations and execution with the man advantage.

As an analyst, I'm certainly guilty of thinking about the sport somewhat myopically through that prism myself. All of which is perfectly understandable, given how much of each game is spent in that state of play. Not to mention the working connection we've established between even strength performance, and future outlook at both the team and individual player level. 

Something we collectively don't devote nearly enough bandwidth to is the other side of the special teams ledger -- the penalty kill.

As the NHL game has evolved and the impetus to create offence wherever possible has followed suit, the way smart teams have gone about maximizing the minutes they're forced to play shorthanded has as well. So let's take a look at the commonalities between the most effective penalty killing combinations, and how teams have gone about unleashing them as, what can only be affectionately coined, a Power Kill instead.

From a game theory perspective, part of the issue with fully modernizing penalty killing units has been the way in which the defensive nature of those situations plays into the most conservative tendencies of the sport. There's still some that view it as two minutes that you simply need to try to survive, and that the easiest way to do so is by parking traditionally lumbering defensive types in front of your own net so they can gobble up as many oncoming shots as they can before they get to the goalie. 

But even aside from the lack of ambition that strategy fosters, it's become functionally impossible to get away with it over prolonged stretches. The personnel and game plan of opposing power plays has become significantly more sophisticated, making it more likely that they'll eventually find their way through those types of defensive shells. 

Shooters have gotten so much better at their craft. The things someone like Auston Matthews can do with their wrister is almost unfair, and if you give him time and space in the offensive zone he will find a way to beat you. But just as importantly, the types of shots the highest level offensive players are now purposefully hunting out has markedly improved as well.

It's become more and more commonplace for teams to specifically target areas of the ice where they know the likelihood of scoring is more in their favour. Power plays are moving away from revolving around low percentage point shots, and more towards two areas that have been highlighted as our understanding of the importance of pre-shot movement has crystallized: a) passes coming from behind the net, and b) east-west passes. 

A team like the Tampa Bay Lightning (when Nikita Kucherov and Steven Stamkos are healthy), for example, is armed with two dual-threat options at both circles, that'll gladly force you into a compromised position if you let them. They're perfectly willing and able to keep moving the puck across the royal road, stretching your penalty killers out until a shooting window finally opens up for one of them to pounce on. 

So what's the solution, then? Well, there isn't really an ideal one, because eventually talent will win out and find a way. But the most palatable option for an enterprising penalty kill is to fight fire with fire, by using their own most skilled forwards to try and swing the pendulum back in their favour by opportunistically turning defense into offence.

Edited by SNuck
Once again, please don't post full articles.
  • Thanks 1

• Bad_BOI_pete changed the title to (Discussion)Why the canes,bruins,knights are so good on the PK. article and theory included

Click on  Power Kill and you will see what it is.

There are a number of posters on CDC that have advocated this style of penalty killing for years vs the passive style the Canucks play. Teams that attack in all 3 zones while killing penalties always seem to be more effective and the same even applies when playing 5 on 5.

You need aggressive fast players for this style of play and Podkolzin and Hoglander would probably be 2 of our forwards that meet this criteria. We need coaches that are willing to change to this system though and I think we might have some opposition there.

Edited by Rick Blight
  • Cheers 1

Marchand is a little dude that kills it on the PK, has something like 8 or 9 shorthanded points this year. I could see Hoglander growing into that kind of role. He's only played about 90 seconds of PK time this year tho so its a long term project. 

Just not sure its something Green is willing to do, but maybe if Benning adds the "speed and skill" he wants to this offseason they will look at something like this.

• Cheers 1

it seems we only played agresssively when we played Edmonton although admittingly dont recall looking at if they were playing the passive box or agressive one earlier in the season.

Petey/bo and Hoglander/podkolzin could work imo. it seemed that the requirement was one elite pokechecker/skill and another with speed/skill. 

Come to think of it, With Benning calling out Gaudette and Virtanen, I wonder if their lack of accountability meant that we could never play this system.

3 hours ago, c00kies said:

We play like a passive penalty kill when we're 5 on 5, so I see no chance of an aggressive penalty kill.

I believe people can change, but if they don't, and next year we are still giving up more scoring chances someone's getting fired.

Edited by Petey_BOI

17 minutes ago, BPA said:

So the key is to have forward PKs that are aggressive, fast, and a threat to score on a slight breakaway. 

yes, instead of just dumping the puck, you can create odd man rushes where one of the defenders is a forward.

Having one regular pk1 unit of regular 3rd/4th line players and one penalty unit of EP40/Miller and podkolzin/hoglander could increase our scoring and our pk.

I'm thinking we will see some major improvements from ep40 next year, wherever he has been focusing in on instead of shooting the puck. could be dangles,or faceoffs maybe passing. as long as his injury is not a lingering thing I think this will only make him a stronger player. it happened for brock

18 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

yes, instead of just dumping the puck, you can create odd man rushes where one of the defenders is a forward.

Having one regular pk1 unit of regular 3rd/4th line players and one penalty unit of EP40/Miller and podkolzin/hoglander could increase our scoring and our pk.

I'm thinking we will see some major improvements from ep40 next year, wherever he has been focusing in on instead of shooting the puck. could be dangles,or faceoffs maybe passing. as long as his injury is not a lingering thing I think this will only make him a stronger player. it happened for brock

5 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Plates like Motte,Hogs, Podz, and Miller spring to mind to fit that style 

In the past, I would have said JV.  But now, I'm not sure he has the hockey IQ to PK and the willingness to block shots.

• Vintage 1