The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cheap Violence Getting Outa' Hand

Rate this topic

54 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Love to see this, but it won't happen. Too much money is involved. I doubt we'd get the league down to 28 to 30 teams let alone 24. 

Fair enough, but my point about expansion is that it saturates the quality of play. And so does adding that extra ref. It's an extra body that gets in the way, that doesn't or shouldn't have to be there. Plus, too many cooks in the kitchen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BarnBurner said:

Fair enough, but my point about expansion is that it saturates the quality of play. And so does adding that extra ref. It's an extra body that gets in the way, that doesn't or shouldn't have to be there. Plus, too many cooks in the kitchen.

I completely agree. I'd love to see the league contract, but there would have to be some massive economic shake up for that to happen. 

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I completely agree. I'd love to see the league contract, but there would have to be some massive economic shake up for that to happen. 

The way this league has been run, I'd almost rather 8-10 Cdn cities start up something with some global league(Europe & Russian divisions)

2 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

The other thing, including the death of the enforcer is, Buttman pushing expansion, made it possible for crap players who would never have played in the NHL. 

You cut back the teams to say, 24, and you eliminate 200 fringe players. 

Edit: Plus, the quality of play would improve immensely. 

so you don't think in the last 40 years the growth of hockey has kept up with expansion? I think your big time wrong there. USA,NORDS and even hockey in Canada, Russia and the rest of the world, have all show huge growth in the minor hockey leagues.

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Weird how THE rat, Brad Marchand seems to have behaved himself for a bit.

Marchand, Wilson and Kadri...put them in a cage where they belong and let them duke it out.

Edit: throw Tkachuk into the cage as well.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

If anything we will see expansion to Europe.  

i feel like a 8 teams division in europe  we could have a 40 team super league 32 team playoff   more league revenue would be epic teams  london,  helsinki, stockholm,   zurich, prague, berlin, cologne, russia.   Would literally  grow the sport.  5 rounds best of 5 

Edited by canuktravella
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

i feel like a 8 teams division in europe  we could have a 40 team super league 32 team playoff   more league revenue would be epic teams  london,  helsinki, stockholm,   zurich, prague, berlin, cologne, russia.   Would literally  grow the sport.  5 rounds best of 5 

Would be a great way to grow the sport but wouldn’t it further dilute the talent in the short term? Adding 8 more teams and encouraging the best Swedes, Finns,  Russians, etc to stay and play in their home countries. Imagine not having Petey, Hoggy, Podz, Edler and others, replaced by the Chaputs and Veys. I think we’d be much less likely to draw big names from elsewhere if they can stay home and still play in the NHL.

I know in the long run increasing interest around the world would bring more talent into the game but that could take a while and it could be ugly in the interim. Would be cool to see those cities in the league though.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Would be a great way to grow the sport but wouldn’t it further dilute the talent in the short term? Adding 8 more teams and encouraging the best Swedes, Finns,  Russians, etc to stay and play in their home countries. Imagine not having Petey, Hoggy, Podz, Edler and others, replaced by the Chaputs and Veys. I think we’d be much less likely to draw big names from elsewhere if they can stay home and still play in the NHL.

I know in the long run increasing interest around the world would bring more talent into the game but that could take a while and it could be ugly in the interim. Would be cool to see those cities in the league though.

The talent pool is already diluted enough. It will never happen, but if the league cut back on teams, the quality of the end result would improve dramatically and eliminate cheap shot artists in general, who are willing to do anything to make their mark in the big league. 

• Vintage 1

20 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Won't bother listing the myriad examples. Every day I turn the pc on, check SNet & there are more bodies lying, and/or writhing on the ice in pain.

Just my imagination..or is it becoming worse than ever? Seems to be so many dirty plays.

Is it the added stress of this COVID yr on the players? Almost glad our young guys have a break to rest up. Things don't feel right this spring, & I'm concerned someone's gonna get killed before this rigged league wakes up. It has gotten outa' hand.

It is due in some part with the NHL trying to transition into a euro hockey league with no fighting and minimal physicality. When you take fighting out or penalize a guy with 17min worth of penalties it LIMITS how often players will stand up for others due to the hole you put your team in and INCREASES more dirty plays etc...this is nothing new and will get worse all the league can do is and out larger fines and longer term suspensions but that doesn't stop it from happening.

NHL will never go back to the earlier years in the league but fighting should be allowed to try to limit these dirty plays/injuries. We have seen it first hand, Canucks have a gem in Petey but he is very slender and gets hacked/whacked/manhandled and what has it led to...INJURIES to our best F and what does the end result turn into, a team lacking a star player and no depth that can remotely step into his role and contribute leading to finishing last in our division, miles away from a Stanley Cup.

Last time I checked, you want to play hockey be prepared to get hit as its a physical sport and ALWAYS keep your head up! It's like the NFL trying to get rid of the big hits and turn into a flag football league...who the F wants to watch that kind of sport, hitting is a Huge part of why fans watch.

Don't like fighting or rough play...go watch a different sport like soccer where players drop to the ground like they've been shot trying to draw a penalty!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

The entire world is getting softer and so are sports leagues lol

Yup, everyone wants things to be just like Charmin, soft as &^@#!!!

Anyone watch the Donnie & Dhali show on Chek? I record it and watch in evenings and that Ryan Henderson guy who is 30 is soft like Charmin!! Saying the rough stuff in hockey shouldn't exist and he isn't a fan...watch some 3rd tier euro league hockey then Ryan! He went off about it too but forgot to have his mic on so he looked like an even bigger fool on tv haha. Maybe he should try to be more professional now that he is on air and not dress like a millenial with his favourite $40 hat and $40 t shirts...Look at the class Don Taylor has on air, in a suit yet he still has lots of laughs and fun cause he is old and been around and is just riding this out till retirement, Taylor is a god damn Legend in my opinion!

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Love that kind of defenseman.  Pronger, Konstantinov, and Stevens would be repeat offenders today though.

Stevens head hunted, Pronger was cheap with his stick while Vladdy was mostly clean hits even by todays standards. 

Cheap violence?

What about the unnecessary fights started after a player has received a hard, but clean body check, or has taken an accidental contact? Look at that nonsense with Perry in game 1 w/Toronto, or the fight that started because Dumba laid out that Vegas player (who was skating along doing an impersonation of Nathan Horton). Those were clean hits, the receiving player was at fault, so the fight was started merely for that team to get to feel all manly again.

Do a fight for that, okay, but it should also come with an instigator penalty.

regards,  G.

With regard to changing perceptions of what is considered to be "violent" in hockey, I'm reminded of a comment from "Terrible" Ted Lindsay who was doing some color commentary on a hockey broadcast (from somewhere not HNiC). It was the Flyers vs the Leafs, and Clarke speared a Toronto player (Rod Seiling?) and pitchforked him to the ice. When asked for a comment on the play, Lindsay chuckled and said something along the lines of, "Nah, that isn't a penalty, that's just good ol' fashioned hockey."

regards,  G.

On 5/23/2021 at 6:48 AM, canuktravella said:

Just hitting the big cities in Europe doesn’t work, franchise models are not as successful when it comes to sport, people are tribal to where they live and you wouldn’t get someone from the next city over supporting the other city’s team. 

plus London has done hockey before and not really been massively successful if you want to drop a team in the UK you probably go to Nottingham, Manchester or Belfast