The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expansion draft: A golden opportunity for the Canucks

Rate this topic

Rudo

4 minutes ago, tas said:

yeah, I'd rather not move lockwood because I think he's close to making an impact in the bottom 6, but I have no attachment to woo. I'd also be fine trading any picks this year (unless we win the lotto obviously) because it's such a crap shoot, and I would be understanding of trading future picks as well since it seems clear that travis and jim's jobs depend on making the playoffs this year. 

I’d be fine with trading Woo as well.  
But I’d much rather not trade the 1st.   
We still lack a couple future top 6/9 players, and our future dmen just don’t scream Cup team to me. 
It may seem like a crap shoot this year to most, but I’d bet NHL scouts are a little more confident they know what’s up. 

But yeah, JB and Green need the playoffs this year.  
Im fully expecting them to sell the future to sneak into the playoffs 

2 minutes ago, tas said:

the term and caphit are definitely concerning, you'd have to convince them to take back salary or retain some I imagine, which is probably a deal breaker. it's probably more likely that they throw an asset seattle's way and tell them to take mcdonagh in expansion.  

Yeah, most likely something like "take McDonaugh and we give you Tyler Johnson as a bonus (similar to Marchesseault and Reily Smith deal Vegas got.  Obviously Tampa would LOVE that deal since it helps their cap situation a hell of a lot... not sure if Seattle would be interested though.. but it's possible since they do have the cap space.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Rudo said:

Problem is, the Canucks seem to have almost given up on Juolevi.  He was a healthy scratch so often this year.  It seems like this would have been the perfect situation to give him some ice time and some experience with a "lost season" and yet, they still benched him more often than not. I just don't think he'll ever get anywhere with the Canucks.  Might as well use him to try to upgrade your D and not do like with Jake Virtanen and wait too long to trade him until his value is essentially zero.

“Nerves recover slowly and maximal recovery may take many months or several years.”

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/peripheral-nerve-injuries/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20355632

patience is required with OJ.  He’s a very smart, and very skilled player.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, drummerboy said:

I’d be fine with trading Woo as well.  
But I’d much rather not trade the 1st.   
We still lack a couple future top 6/9 players, and our future dmen just don’t scream Cup team to me. 
It may seem like a crap shoot this year to most, but I’d bet NHL scouts are a little more confident they know what’s up. 

But yeah, JB and Green need the playoffs this year.  
Im fully expecting them to sell the future to sneak into the playoffs 

but if you can move a lottery ticket of an 18 year old and acquire a known commodity 23-26 year old who they can keep throughout the rise of this core, isn't that better? an 18 year old defence prospect is likely 5 years away from really becoming the impact player we need, and 5 years from now the window will be closing for this group. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rudo said:

Problem is, the Canucks seem to have almost given up on Juolevi.  He was a healthy scratch so often this year.  It seems like this would have been the perfect situation to give him some ice time and some experience with a "lost season" and yet, they still benched him more often than not. I just don't think he'll ever get anywhere with the Canucks.  Might as well use him to try to upgrade your D and not do like with Jake Virtanen and wait too long to trade him until his value is essentially zero.

It's been well documented that his scratch time was almost all salary cap related.  After that it was a bit of a rotational situation with him, chatfield and Rathbone.  His play was actually very solid

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, tas said:

but if you can move a lottery ticket of an 18 year old and acquire a known commodity 23-26 year old who they can keep throughout the rise of this core, isn't that better? an 18 year old defence prospect is likely 5 years away from really becoming the impact player we need, and 5 years from now the window will be closing for this group. 

All true, but that 22-26 year D man needs to be an upgrade on what we have in our top four.  Is he going to be better than Hughes, Bone, Schmidt, or Myers?  

15 minutes ago, tas said:

Closing in 5 years?   
Petey and Quinn will be 27 & 26

Brock will be 29

Bo will be 31

Sounds like the big guns are all in their prime and could use a couple 21-22 year old top 10 picks, who are 5 years into developing and are on ELC. 

3-5 is when we will be legit competing.  
Moving those picks now is more just trying to save management’s jobs

• Cheers 3

33 minutes ago, tas said:

well, if the Canucks can't find an upgrade, or if they do and juolevi goes unclaimed, I hope you're right. but the same issue has been dogging him for his whole career and thus far it hasn't seen any improvement. 

it's also noteworthy that travis green, for whatever reason, doesn't seem to trust him, and travis is a guy who puts trust in young players and gives them opportunities to succeed. I'm not sure what things he sees that makes him reluctant to use olli, but I trust his judgement. 

His whole career? Any facts to back that?

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

All true, but that 22-26 year D man needs to be an upgrade on what we have in our top four.  Is he going to be better than Hughes, Bone, Schmidt, or Myers?  

I'm not sure why he needs to be an upgrade on those 4 necessarily, but I'd hope it's an upgrade on 3/4 of them. 

6 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Closing in 5 years?   
Petey and Quinn will be 27 & 26

Brock will be 29

Bo will be 31

Sounds like the big guns are all in their prime and could use a couple 21-22 year old top 10 picks, who are 5 years into developing and are on ELC. 

3-5 is when we will be legit competing.  
Moving those picks now is more just trying to save management’s jobs

yeah, 5 years from now is the beginning of the end in my opinion (assuming the core stays intact).

6 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

His whole career? Any facts to back that?

well, his entire professional career at least. it's the thing that people have been complaining about/pointing out for as long as he was in utica. I admittedly didn't watch him in junior. 

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's been well documented that his scratch time was almost all salary cap related.  After that it was a bit of a rotational situation with him, chatfield and Rathbone.  His play was actually very solid

*As well as playing Benn in an effort to move him at the TDL.

I find it hilarious, the overlap between those bitching about Juolevi, and those who are #asset management fanatics....:lol:

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, tas said:

well, his entire professional career at least. it's the thing that people have been complaining about/pointing out for as long as he was in utica. I admittedly didn't watch him in junior. 

OJ was a fantastic player until injury set him back.  Hopefully Seattle doesn’t take him in expansion, because OJ will be a top four minute muncher when he’s fully recovered and mature.  

2 minutes ago, tas said:

Again, that's quite a statement . Took him a bit to get it going after the injuries but im not sure what this issue is that's been "dogging him this whole time". Management called him up from Utica  once they felt he was in a good enough position physically to play in the NHL and train with nucks coaching and training staff. I've only ever seen 1 person, a poster not part of the training staff, no media, no insider ever say Olli cant pivot. You see this a lot on CDC. Parrot away

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Again, that's quite a statement . Took him a bit to get it going after the injuries but im not sure what this issue is that's been "dogging him this whole time". Management called him up from Utica  once they felt he was in a good enough position physically to play in the NHL and train with nucks coaching and training staff. I've only ever seen 1 person, a poster not part of the training staff, no media, no insider ever say Olli cant pivot. You see this a lot on CDC. Parrot away

it's been commentary from people who have watched him play. combined with green's obvious lack of trust in him, I'd say there's likely fire at the source of the smoke. 

again, I'm not an anti-juolevi guy. I've been a fan since he was drafted, I'm glad they took him over tkachuk no matter what happens, but it's make or break time now for olli. 

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

*As well as playing Benn in an effort to move him at the TDL.

I find it hilarious, the overlap between those bitching about Juolevi, and those who are #asset management fanatics....:lol:

Well, in my case, I was pissed the minute Juolevi was drafted by the Canucks. I wanted them to take Chychrun.  I know Chychrun fell quite a bit in the draft but I had a feeling this guy would turn out well.  My feeling on Juolevi when they drafted him was that his ceiling would most likely be a Olli Maata type player.  So far, I haven't seen any indication to make me change my mind.  I'm HOPING I'm wrong though... but it hurts to see Tkachuk, Keller, Sergachev, McAvoy and Chychrun all taken after him doing a hell of a lot better.  But then, if you want to look at the positive, you could say that if Canucks had taken Tkachuk instead in the draft, he would have most likely played the year after and help the Canucks win a lot more games than they did and Canucks then wouldn't have been able to get Pettersson in the next draft! :)

33 minutes ago, tas said:

He has been injured his entire professional career. Injuries that would affect his ability to pivot. As Alf has already mentioned it may take up to 2 years to fully recover from his injuries. 

He didn’t have an issue with pivoting in Junior. If he did he wouldn’t have been a top 5 pick. 

• Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He has been injured his entire professional career. Injuries that would affect his ability to pivot. As Alf has already mentioned it may take up to 2 years to fully recover from his injuries. 

He didn’t have an issue with pivoting in Junior. If he did he wouldn’t have been a top 5 pick. 

and I hope you're right. I have no horse in the race, really, besides still thinking the canucks should try to acquire an upgrade at the risk of exposing him in expansion. 

59 minutes ago, aGENT said:

A lot of people sleeping on Woo IMO.

Yes:  he had a really solid first year as a pro, starting from camp where he looked like he belonged.  He'll benefit from being close by in Abottsford and is not far from being ready for call-up duty and maybe more.  He has exactly the sort of profile to complement our slick young LD and already has chemistry with Rathbone.  Hamonic is a really good comparable and Woo would really benefit from watching him up close.  There's no way we should be flipping this guy on some speculative deal. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1