The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Fire Benning protest outside Rogers Arena - A very poor turnout. LOL. Embarrassing.

Rate this topic

Dazzle

As much as I understand some are still firmly on the Fire Benning train, I think for the good of the team everyone needs to give him a fresh chance. Ownership has tasked him to take the team forward and I don't think this continued BS is going to help our team in any way. Not to say we shouldn't remain critical and keep him accountable of course, but the nay-sayers were heard and ownership made their decision. Now it's time to move forward and support our team.

GO CANUCKS!

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’m sure their moms told them to get out of the house and go make something of themselves.

They got the getting out of the house part at least...

Some people, during times of desperation and crisis, turn towards God.  

Many people at HF, during imaginary times of desperation and crisis, turn towards MS and Y2K.  

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

I like Benning, but he needs to bring in bigger skilled players with character.  Our defense and top 6 are way too small to get anywhere.  Need some Josh Andersons on this club.

Podkolzin and Jett Woo are on deck.  

Agreed though, I'd like to see a bit more size and toughness.  

15 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Maybe some Gadjovich in the bottom 6 as well.

I'm sure at some point we'll sign/trade for some additional reinforcement there as well.

15 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yup excited about both.  

The team just needs guys that can play bigger.  I dont know if there are metrics on this but i had never seen a Nuck team lose so many puck battles and get pushed around as much as we did this year.  Hogs, Horvat, Miller, Hamonic and Myers were the only guys who consistently won battles out there.  We desperately need the Macs, Podzs, Gadjs, Linds, Woos to develop fast.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Seems pretty obvious that this is just a vocal minority.

Media and social media love controversy so they drum these things up.

Looks like most fans think JB has stocked the cupboard with some good talent. A few tweaks here and there and we're off to greatness.

I would bet if you did a poll it would be a lot closer to 50/50

just cuz I didn't go to the rally does not mean I support Benning

People have lives and wives and better things to do on a holiday weekend than bang their heads against a wall that is Aquaego

people said the Rangers owner made the NHL dig their heals in when they called for Parros' head

how is this different

Aqua spoke, he did not give us what I wanted,calling for Bennings head at this late date makes no more sense than calling for Parros' 

3 hours ago, lmm said:

People have lives and wives and better things to do on a holiday weekend than bang their heads against a wall that is Aquaego

people said the Rangers owner made the NHL dig their heals in when they called for Parros' head

how is this different

Aqua spoke, he did not give us what I wanted,calling for Bennings head at this late date makes no more sense than calling for Parros' 

I agree with you that it's closer to 50/50 and I really have no issue with fans preferring to change our GM and/or coach.  

What bothers me is constantly listening to media making it sound like everyone wants a new GM.  I was listening to Fox for some music last week only to hear two obvious non-hockey fans talking about the Fire Benning protest, how fans are revolting and how our bottom 6 is overpaid.  Then they started listing off guys like Beagle and Roussell and saying that they have two years left on their deals (wrong).  

So I guess it's annoying to not feel represented as someone that wants Benning to stay, that's all.  As long as you cheer for the Canucks to do well but you want a change, I respect your opinion.  

14 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I agree with you that it's closer to 50/50 and I really have no issue with fans preferring to change our GM and/or coach.  

What bothers me is constantly listening to media making it sound like everyone wants a new GM.  I was listening to Fox for some music last week only to hear two obvious non-hockey fans talking about the Fire Benning protest, how fans are revolting and how our bottom 6 is overpaid.  Then they started listing off guys like Beagle and Roussell and saying that they have two years left on their deals (wrong).  

So I guess it's annoying to not feel represented as someone that wants Benning to stay, that's all.  As long as you cheer for the Canucks to do well but you want a change, I respect your opinion.  

I think it's more towards 50/50 but a part of that 50% that wants serious change is on twitter spewing crap and that ends up all of what TSN/Sportsnet sees. You got insiders always talking about Canucks twitter mainly because they aren't actually taking the time to get an actual and credible feel for the fanbase.

Listen to Donnie and Dhali. They cater to every sort of fan the Canucks have.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, tas said:

these people should be turned into a meme and publically shamed for decades to come, in particular during deep canucks playoff runs. 

these people should be promised tickets and once they get to the gate get turned back over and over and over

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, tas said:

these people should be turned into a meme and publically shamed for decades to come, in particular during deep canucks playoff runs. 

So you’re giving them a decade long reprieve?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, appleboy said:

If I owned this team I would be little concerned that there was only twenty people who had enough drive to show up at protest that was about the future of the organization.

Have the rest of the fans just tuned out.      Did anyone show up to support Jimbo?     Fans are losing interest.

I am one who does think that the overall level of passion/care has died down quite a bit but I don't think that's the case here.

Probably had a lot more to do with the pandemic + stupid thing to protest.

6 hours ago, lmm said:

how is this different

Actually Donnie & Dhali had a poll last week and it was 69.3% to get rid of Benning - if memory serves me - and that was based on about 1700 folks who voted which about echo's the majority here on CDC and the radio talk shows that also want him gone. So that's a pretty clear majority to get rid of Benning but like many said, who the heck is gonna waste a long weekend to protest something thats too late to change - for now. 

The more likely reality is that people will forget until next season BUT when we experience another disastrous finish like this year (and the last seven) and fans are back in the stands - I absolutely guarantee you that there will chants of "Fire Benning - Fire Green" shouted out Loud & Clear and BOTH WILL BE TERMINATED.

(Arny told me so !)

image.jpeg.f626b3d0176a6f3a3e755cfe2f046e81.jpeg

• Huggy Bear 1

15 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I’m not on the fire Benning band wagon, my point is that it happened, lots of fans hate the GM their team has but none went to this extent, fine downplay it to 20 that went to this extreme, still embarrassing for Benning.

Yeah because out of the 5 plus MILLION people in the province, 20 dissatisfied “fans” matter....:picard:

I’m real sure he is “embarrassed”.

• Like 2