The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Fire Benning protest outside Rogers Arena - A very poor turnout. LOL. Embarrassing.

Rate this topic

Dazzle

I've been a Benning hater since he signed Sbisa to a ridiculous contract. Yes, that's a long time to be a hater... I'm not going to regurgitate the crap moves he has made over the years.... tons of posters have gone through them better than I could... That is is not the point of the post.

Even though I'm in the "Fire Benning" camp, I do believe keeping him for another year makes sense from an ownership perspective.

With the expansion draft and arguably the negotiation of the two most important contracts (Petey and Hughes) this off-season, it's good to have a management team that has somewhat prepared for these scenarios. It would seem like near suicide to bring in a new management team to deal with these issues with no prep-time.

Now, how much of a plan this current management team has remains to be seen. I don't hold out too much hope for the current group to really pull out a win, but it's a lesser of two evils at this point?

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Yeah because out of the 5 plus MILLION people in the province, 20 dissatisfied “fans” matter....:picard:

I’m real sure he is “embarrassed”.

How many current gms had any people protest asking for them to be fired. 

how many current gms had people fly a banner over the city asking for them to be fired

he should be  embarrassed.
The entire hockey world see and knows he’s in save my job desperation.

allowing the guy who signed the terrible contracts to buyout his own terrible contracts so he can sign new terrible contracts snd cap strap the team again.

he had to get a call to tell him he’d be back. Even That’s embarrassing. 

The fact he has to waste even more money to cleanup his own stupidity should be embarrassing.

he better hope his team comes out of the gate on fire and not have any 8 game losing streaks or with fans in the stands he will be embarrassed. 
None of his dumb excuses will save him. 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, combover said:

how many current gms had people fly a banner over the city asking for them to be fired

allowing the guy who signed the terrible contracts to buyout his own terrible contracts so he can sign new terrible contracts snd cap strap the team again.

The fact he has to waste even more money to cleanup his own stupidity should be embarrassing.

he better hope his team comes out of the gate on fire and not have any 8 game losing streaks or with fans in the stands he will be embarrassed. 

Cuz no GM in the league has ever had to buyout a contract a couple of years after giving it out or trade away high draft picks or grade A prospects to get another team to take a bad contract that they had signed...

Austin Powers GIF

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I agree with you that it's closer to 50/50 and I really have no issue with fans preferring to change our GM and/or coach.  

What bothers me is constantly listening to media making it sound like everyone wants a new GM.  I was listening to Fox for some music last week only to hear two obvious non-hockey fans talking about the Fire Benning protest, how fans are revolting and how our bottom 6 is overpaid.  Then they started listing off guys like Beagle and Roussell and saying that they have two years left on their deals (wrong).  

So I guess it's annoying to not feel represented as someone that wants Benning to stay, that's all.  As long as you cheer for the Canucks to do well but you want a change, I respect your opinion.  

I guess that is the advantage of listening to CBC. Their music has really gne down hill, but they care not about the canucks unless they are winning.

And Ron McLean is not on radio  -- double win

21 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I usually don't want to reference Reddit because they can be an echo chamber as well, but this is a reflection of what some people thought of the very low turnout. Someone said it was less than 20 people.

I'm not even sure Squamfan bothered to show up, though I do remember him trying to drum up the support here.

That’s a heck of a good vote of confidence if I’ve ever seen one.

Love it.

I just hope these chumps are quiet for at least a week.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Cuz no GM in the league has ever had to buyout a contract a couple of years after giving it out or trade away high draft picks or grade A prospects to get another team to take a bad contract that they had signed...

Austin Powers GIF

Lol because buying out one contract and hoping three others ( furland beagle Ar)  are to injured to return is the norm for winning clubs and top tier executives. 
it’s the same excuses.justifying bad contracts because other bad  gms sign bad contracts. 
That’s  pretty special. 

He signed these deals then he signed more bad deals better give him the ability to sign more bad deals.

best thing to happen was he couldn’t sign anyone last summer or we’d have even  more.

I have zero confidence in a guy who is a proven failure especially in the UFA department.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 2

12 hours ago, combover said:

I was with you  right up to the last line.

But it seems Jim has a get out of Jail free with a dumb excuse card in perpetuity.

There are still plenty of fans who believe it is still Gillis' fault

and that as long as his team sucks, he is required to sign bad contracts to entice middling vets to sign here.

He is in a pretty sweet spot really

• RoughGame 1

13 hours ago, Run n Gun said:

I've been a Benning hater since he signed Sbisa to a ridiculous contract. Yes, that's a long time to be a hater... I'm not going to regurgitate the crap moves he has made over the years.... tons of posters have gone through them better than I could... That is is not the point of the post.

Even though I'm in the "Fire Benning" camp, I do believe keeping him for another year makes sense from an ownership perspective.

With the expansion draft and arguably the negotiation of the two most important contracts (Petey and Hughes) this off-season, it's good to have a management team that has somewhat prepared for these scenarios. It would seem like near suicide to bring in a new management team to deal with these issues with no prep-time.

Now, how much of a plan this current management team has remains to be seen. I don't hold out too much hope for the current group to really pull out a win, but it's a lesser of two evils at this point?

I don't think a seasoned GM would have any trouble assessing the value of Hugs and Pete.

and we have enough space to bulk up our roster pre expansion draft

a goo d GM could go out and get 3 better D and 2 forwards before Seattle picks

I've seen draft rosters with Juolevi, Gadj, Lind and Motte

would it really hurt to lose one of those guys or even Schmidt

• RoughGame 1

16 hours ago, combover said:

You must be one of the twenty folks that showed up to this ridiculous event. One guy flies a banner, twenty people show up at a protest and you think it means something. You used the word embarrassing three times in your reply but you “embarrassingly” fail to see this movement an “embarrassment”.

Chill the hate and see what happens from here on. 

• Cheers 2

On 5/24/2021 at 12:57 PM, Alflives said:

This thread is pure gold!  I have to thank the handful of fans that did make that incredible banner and chanted their silly chants. Too funny!  Seriously, how many hours and how many sharpies did it take to make that banner?  God, I’m still laughing!  

image.jpeg.680a7d1a7966858c3b9948dc1bf48b2d.jpeg

might of huffed all the spray paint cans so they used sharpies

• Haha 3

On 5/24/2021 at 6:38 PM, EddieVedder said:

I like Benning, but he needs to bring in bigger skilled players with character.  Our defense and top 6 are way too small to get anywhere.  Need some Josh Andersons on this club.

Josh Anderson is meh.  Its why Torts was super hard on him and PLD.  His playoff numbers are underwhelming.  Sometimes I wish the Canucks would ditch the character thing.  As long as the player can channel their energy on the ice and take care of the off ice organizational commitments professionally that's all that should matter.  

I'll take more JT Miller's.  Some more swagger on this team wouldn't hurt, especially in the d-core.  

• Cheers 3

On 5/24/2021 at 11:56 AM, tas said:

these people should be turned into a meme and publically shamed for decades to come, in particular during deep canucks playoff runs. 

They'll probably all have died from old age before there are any 'deep playoff runs' since Travis Green is still at the helm. 

3 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

They'll probably all have died from old age before there are any 'deep playoff runs' since Travis Green is still at the helm. 

you realize that nobody can take this drivel seriously, right? it and the people spewing it are a joke. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Hard to take anything from this tbh, glad to see most people were responsible enough to not attend a gathering for something as frivolous as a sports team GM. 

When we go back to normalcy and people are allowed back into Rogers Arena is when we’ll have a better indication on public opinion re/ GMJB. 

• Cheers 1