The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] 2021 Signing Proposals

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Danault reportedly passed on a 5 or 6 year 30 million deal... too rich for our blood

A lot of players are still in denial that the flat cap IS going to effect what they are worth on the open market.

• Cheers 2

Just now, IBatch said:

He should have taken it and run (Denault)

Yeah no thanks on denault for me. I would like getzlaf on a 1 yr deal for 2.5-3 if we can get a fast scoring winger to join him like brandon saad. I think he has some scoring left in him if hes playing with good wingers unlike what hes had in anaheim this season. Saad-getz-podz might be a very fine 3rd line. Then with cash opening up next season get a younger 3C 

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

And as per the OP, in what world is 8-9 million per season reasonable for EP and QHs?  Even without flat cap for five of those years that's expensive even for 8 years.  

It's not. Using Tkachuk as a baseline, signed before Covid, they should be in the 6 - 6.5 million each, range.

Hughes isn't eligible for offer sheet at all, his negotiating room is a little more limited, I would say 5.5 million for Hughes and 6.5 million for Pettersson for 2 or 3 years each. 12 million...ish total.  

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

Seattle is going to be cautious giving out bloated contracts, there's too many options for them to exploit guys that other teams can't protect. 

Still...  they’ll need contracts to hit the floor. It’ll be interesting to see what direction they go in expansion

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

Based on Jim Benning's passive comments about Edler. I have a feeling management is looking to move on from him. Edler's a legendary Canuck who will be on the Ring of Honour. That said, he's slowed down quite a bit and that slowdown showed up with the amount of reckless penalties he took this season. The good news is that he can stay in the Pacific Northwest and sign a contract with Seattle. It's only a couple of hour drive down from Vancouver so he can stay pretty close to Vancouver if he wants too.

And yeah, everyone who wants to re-sign Sutter needs to remember that they are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome and there's better options out there. He's slow, he doesn't produce ANY offense as a C, and he's a good but not great defender. With Beagle still under contract, Sutter is redundant. Especially if Benning is serious about creating 3 scoring lines. SAY NO TO SUTTER.

I think Haula could be an interesting 3C though he's not that offensively gifted and isn't a good playmaker.

My gut says the Canucks should target Emil Pettersson as a potential 3C. He's been buried on good teams and just had an excellent season in the SHL. He's contributed well offensively everywhere he's been (SHL and AHL), just needs a chance. And he'll be cheap. He's also a UFA this summer as his rights lapse with the Coyotes in July.

Great points - hopefully Green will roll four, despite the talent but three rather than the usual two can only benefit the team  

17 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Still...  they’ll need contracts to hit the floor. It’ll be interesting to see what direction they go in expansion

They will be above the cap floor when they complete the expansion draft. They will leave room for trades, but they will fill out fast. There are players on other teams who will be offered with draft picks, to move salary out. 

Joel Eriksson Ek - $1.5 M approx - 

• $1,439,821 – $2,181,545: 2021 third round pick.

Andrew Copp - $2.28M - 

• $2,181,546 – $4,363,095: 2021 second round pick.

Tyler Bertuzzi - $3.5 M

• $2,181,546 – $4,363,095: 2021 second round pick.

Go sign these 3 guys as they are RFA- the price to pay in draft picks is worth it imo

Haula for 3C, Sheahan/ Paquette for #4 and then McGinn to replace Roussel (either buried/ bought out) would be sweet.  Wouldn't mind bringing Graovac back either.
(I'm not sure of what we have in either MacEwen or Lind so I'd include them in the extra forwards/ Abbotsford team - unless Seattle takes one of them, or they could play their way into the lineup)

McGinn - Haula - Podkolzin (all round, grinding 3rd line that gets some goals, plus all 3 can make plays)
Motte - Sheahan/ Paquette - Highmore (speedy, chippy, somewhat offensive and responsible 4th line)

//Hawryluk, Graovac, MacEwen, Lind

Edited by Phil_314