The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What phone do you have? Do you like it?

luckyjack

6 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

I own my 200$ samsung a10s , and pay 25$ a month for my unlimited Canada wide calls/text and 1G Of Data. 

i don't understand why most people would buy a 1300+ phone. do you use the  Gyroscope? are you a streamer or a social media influencer? No? then you don't need the 3 million pixel professional camera's and 8K video?

if you lease a samsung s21 you MUST get 30gb of data with telus and insurance is a must. minimum monthly cost is 102$ and there is a deductible on repairs.

in 2 years your going to lease a more expensive phone due to inflation and corporate greed. if you lose it  you have to repay the  bring back of 640$  and then  purchase a new phone outright and still pay $13.33  a month for the rest of the term.

if you buy a samsung a325g you MUST finance and yup it's a loan. total price is about 60$ more than buying it outright. if you finance you must purchase 30G of data

total minimum cost is 95$ a month for 3 years, insurance is 9$ a month. so 104$. 

the 1000$ i save every year  is pretty nice. 

I got my S10 so I could get nicer photos of my kids, my old phone was so blurry I wanted something solid.  If it weren't for that any basic phone would have done well for me as long as it runs most apps.  I pay $45/month for 25 gigs of data now too since my contract is up so all good now :)

Also got the phone further discounted through work so was worth grabbing a better long term one.

Edited by Russ

1 hour ago, Russ said:

I got my S10 so I could get nicer photos of my kids, my old phone was so blurry I wanted something solid.  If it weren't for that any basic phone would have done well for me as long as it runs most apps.  I pay $45/month for 25 gigs of data now too since my contract is up so all good now :)

Also got the phone further discounted through work so was worth grabbing a better long term one.

that sounds pretty good, honestly. I used to have expensive phones. my 13 megapixel camera on my a10S takes nice pictures and also runs any program other than virtual reality software. has a nice size 6.2in, not overly long like the new models. and the 4000ma battery is  about as big as you can get, in a phone these days.

for something that needs to be replaced every 3 years due to the battery, i'm not spending gonna spend more than i need to.

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Oh, I didn't answer the 2nd question.

I love my BB10...have had it for about 12 years now. Solid.

I wonder how much I have saved not upgrading each year.

thousands,  as long as you bargained down the plan. have you had to replace the battery yet?  they're pretty inexpensive like 25- 40$

the new phones are so hard to work on these days, it took me 2 hours to replace a battery on my old phone. you have to be very careful because they are so delicate

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

thousands,  as long as you bargained down the plan. have you had to replace the battery yet?  they're pretty inexpensive like 25- 40$

the new phones are so hard to work on these days, it took me 2 hours to replace a battery on my old phone. you have to be very careful because they are so delicate

It's still going, the plan changes depending on the provider. 

Takes pics and vids, I can 'internet', has a touch screen and a keyboard, battery still good, plan is currently cheap, does the android apps, I don't know why i  would upgrade till it dies.

Think It cost me $400 back in the day. 

23 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

It's still going, the plan changes depending on the provider. 

Takes pics and vids, I can 'internet', has a touch screen and a keyboard, battery still good, plan is currently cheap, does the android apps, I don't know why i  would upgrade till it dies.

Think It cost me $400 back in the day. 

for 369$ you can get a very good samsung a32 5g.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

that sounds pretty good, honestly. I used to have expensive phones. my 13 megapixel camera on my a10S takes nice pictures and also runs any program other than virtual reality software. has a nice size 6.2in, not overly long like the new models. and the 4000ma battery is  about as big as you can get, in a phone these days.

for something that needs to be replaced every 3 years due to the battery, i'm not spending gonna spend more than i need to.

Yea after 2 years my battery is holding up pretty good.  If I have to I will just plug it in my excavator for more juice.  Pretty much planning on holding this phone until the OS gets out of date where apps stop working (liked older phones just don't support upgraded apps sometimes) and security upgrades stop updating.  It does everything I need, takes good clear photos which was key, so I really have no need to upgrade for hopefully 2-3 more years.  

1 minute ago, Russ said:

Yea after 2 years my battery is holding up pretty good.  If I have to I will just plug it in my excavator for more juice.  Pretty much planning on holding this phone until the OS gets out of date where apps stop working (liked older phones just don't support upgraded apps sometimes) and security upgrades stop updating.  It does everything I need, takes good clear photos which was key, so I really have no need to upgrade for hopefully 2-3 more years.  

your battery will crap out before your phone becomes obsolete, using the fast charger really kills the battery life expectancy. the fanciest phones need to be replaced more often, because of the high battery consumption and because of the 25w battery recharge rate over the old 15w standard.

Samsung Galaxy S20

Amazing photos and video, phenomenal recording (I use it quite often to record music in a live setting, it's quite impressive). Good size, nothing to complain about really.

I've had Apple, Motorola, Blackberry and Samsung. I much prefer the Samsung brand, but who knows what my next phone will be? Probably another Samsung tho, the cameras and recording are very nice and they're reliable 

On 5/25/2021 at 11:43 AM, King Heffy said:

LG G8. Love it; the headphone jack and quad DAC are awesome.  I'm considering buying a spare for once my battery is done as I'm haven't seen anything that I'd consider an upgrade and LG is getting out of the phone business.  Anything without both a headphone jack and microSD slot is an immediate no go.

I use an LG V30 specifically as my gym music player because of the quad dac. I run Tidal and a pair of wireless aptx headphones, the sound quality is a massive upgrade over my daily driver note 10 plus (or any phone for that matter). Shame that LG stopped making phones. I think the industry now, you gotta either go high end (samsung or apple) or low end like motorola, huawei etc.

Edited by filthycanuck

On 5/25/2021 at 8:39 AM, Heretic said:

Samsung, for 21 year now with no issues.

1st one I got was the M100 Uproar (1st cell phone with MP3 player built in).

Didn't replace it until the S5 came out!

Now, I have a S10+ and only reason I'm not still using my S5 is because of work - I needed a newer version of Android to support an App.

Wife has had:  S2, S6 and S9.  

Samsung guy here too, S2 LTE, Note 3, S7 edge, Note 8, and Note 10 plus

owned only one iphone, which was the 3g which I hated. Became turtle slow after a year and swore to never buy an iphone ever. I actually threw that phone over my balcony and landed on the pavement because of frustration and it still worked (had the case though)

Edited by filthycanuck

After using three or four iPhones over ten years, I switched to a Google PIxel 3. Bought it for the camera, which is awesome and takes clearer, better lighted and balanced pictures than my Nikon. The OS updates automatically with the latest Android updates. Has never dropped a call. Has a nice feature called Now Playing; when there is music playing within range of the phone, it displays the name of the song and the artist, then stores the names in a list. Later, you can go to the list, select the song you want to hear, and it plays on your device in YouTube Music (or whichever music provider you designate). You can delete the list whenever you want. Very helpful. I also like that the fingerprint sensor is located on the back of the phone. All screen with narrow bezel and no notch. And yes, I know Google worms its way into every corner of your life, but so does Apple. 

• 2 years later...

that's true I use iphones for many years, these phones so many benefits. I found info how to back up all photos on iPhone at https://setapp.com/how-to/backup-iphone-photos.The default option to backing up your photos on the iPhone is via iCloud. To set it up, open the Settings app on your iPhone, tap your name at the very top of the app menu, go to iCloud > Photos, and toggle on Sync this iPhone.

Edited by WilliG