The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buyout Candidates...Will we see any this year?

Rate this topic

CanucksJay

54 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Luongo just wanted to give the canucks and the organization one last middle finger before he was gone. Hes an as*hole thats y he did it.

LOL that's one way of looking at it. 

I dunno, can you be angry enough to forfeit millions of dollars?

Also, would Luongo know there would be a cap recapture penalty if he retired? Was this put in place before or after Luongo announced his retirement? 

Edit

I found out rule was put in place prior to Luongo announcing retirement

So then the question is, why didn't the Canucks fight this in court?

Is it because if Luongo was put on the stand under oath, he would tell the truth that they knowingly circumvented the cap? 

Would the spirit of why a  Salary cap then be broken and the courts rule in NHL favor?

Maybe it wasn't such a slam dunk case...

Either way, Canucks tried to expose a loophole, NHL felt like the Canucks screwed them.  Tehnically our 2011 Roster was way over the cap limit. (I think Salo missed more than half the season on LTIR and miracously recovered for the playoffs)

NHL doesn't like being treated like idiots and Mike Gillis was too smart for his own good so they stuck it to him and the org

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Interesting... Not sure that was mentioned in the section that I was reading.

(edit) After re-reading the section I was going by; I realized that I assumed that the 2nd window opened up on the same day the roster freeze was lifted... my assumption was incorrect.

So... Holtby would have to be exposed on the 1st buyout window if they wanted to expose him? Doubt they would do that but who knows.

The 1st buyout window will still be open once the expansion freeze is lifted.  If Holtby is not picked they can then decide to buy him out.  Same for Virtanen.  

There is no real reason to buy anyone out ahead of expansion other than if the player has an NMC and refuses to waive, costing his team a protection spot.

The 2nd buyout window opens for 48 hours after the last settlement of a team’s players having filed for arbitration.

Latest 16 July  - buyout window opens

17 July - submission of protection lists and start of roster freeze.  No trades, waivers, buyouts, signings etc.

18 July - 21 July  lists distributed and expansion process underway for 72 hours

21 July - expansion draft reveal.  Selections are filed in the morning for verification.

22 July - roster freeze lifted

23/24 July - entry draft

26 July - deadline for qualifying offers

27 July - 1st buyout window closes, free agents can start talking to other teams

28 July - free agency starts

11 to 26 August - arbitration hearings

The 2nd buyout window opens for 48 hours on the 3rd day after the last arbitration hearing or settlement if earlier.  Only players who were on the roster at the TDL and with a cap hit of at last 4M (last year’s numbers) can be bought out.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, mll said:

The 1st buyout window will still be open once the expansion freeze is lifted.  If Holtby is not picked they can then decide to buy him out.  Same for Virtanen.  

There is no real reason to buy anyone out ahead of expansion other than if the player has an NMC and refuses to waive, costing his team a protection spot.

The 2nd buyout window opens for 48 hours after the last settlement of a team’s players having filed for arbitration.

17 July - submission of protection lists and start of roster freeze.  No trades, waivers, buyouts, signings etc.

18 July - 21 July  lists distributed and expansion process underway for 72 hours

21 July - expansion draft reveal.  Selections are filed in the morning for verification.

23/24 July - entry draft

27 July - 1st buyout window closes, free agents can start talking to other teams

The 2nd buyout window opens for 48 hours on the 3rd day after the last arbitration hearing or settlement if earlier.  Only players who were on the roster at the TDL and with a cap hit of at last 4M (last year’s numbers) can be bought out.

I need to do more reading lol.

12 minutes ago, mll said:

23/24 July - entry draft

So in Jake's case, would the Canucks have to wait until July 22 to waive him and buy him out by July 27th?

10 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

So in Jake's case, would the Canucks have to wait until July 22 to waive him and buy him out by July 27th?

Would guess that’s what they’ll do rather than buy him out before expansion.  He is not eligible for a possible 2nd buyout window.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Would guess that’s what they’ll do rather than buy him out before expansion.  He is not eligible for a possible 2nd buyout window.

there's no reason to buy him out early, and they might find out something that allows them to terminate. 

51 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Also, would Luongo know there would be a cap recapture penalty if he retired? Was this put in place before or after Luongo announced his retirement? 

Edit

Is it because if Luongo was put on the stand under oath, he would tell the truth that they knowingly circumvented the cap? 

Would the spirit of why a  Salary cap then be broken and the courts rule in NHL favor?

Either way, Canucks tried to expose a loophole, NHL felt like the Canucks screwed them.  Tehnically our 2011 Roster was way over the cap limit. (I think Salo missed more than half the season on LTIR and miracously recovered for the playoffs)

NHL doesn't like being treated like idiots and Mike Gillis was too smart for his own good so they stuck it to him and the org

Yeah Salo was out for the first half of the season and came back in January/February. The day Salo was activated, Edler was placed on LTIR and returned for game 1 of the playoffs (much like Kucherov this year).

2 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

IMHO Depietro is not ready to be an NHL backup, i would love to be proven wrong though

Depending how much cap space we have left after filling the lineup holes we may not have another choice. 

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Edit

The Canucks can't fight it in court because the NHLPA signed off on recapture when signing the then new CBA.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

there's no reason to buy him out early, and they might find out something that allows them to terminate. 

Depends if JB is a betting man.

If they are 100% wanting to get rid of JV by buying out.  Or whatever % to possibly terminate the contract. 

23 minutes ago, BPA said:

Depends if JB is a betting man.

If they are 100% wanting to get rid of JV by buying out.  Or whatever % to possibly terminate the contract. 

oh they'll buy him out, just not before the last day possible imo. No reason to do it early. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

oh they'll buy him out, just not before the last day possible imo. No reason to do it early. 

It would be REAL nice that if there's in fact fire where that smoke is, official charges are pressed before the buyout period closes.

Though even then, I'm not sure if that's enough to terminate. Might actually have to be found guilty... Any lawyers in the house?:lol:

• Haha 1

As noted numerous times, and now outlined in detail in Drance's latest article, the only buyouts that actually offer you cap savings are Virtanen and Holtby. The rest don't do a damn thing for the cap.

I'm still not convinced they'll buyout Holtby as that would be extremely against brand for this ownership and management group for numerous reasons. Virtanen is gone.

Also as an aside, that Jay Beagle contract is one of the worst pieces of front office work in the last ten years in the entire NHL.

Edited by TheCustodian

11 minutes ago, TheCustodian said:

Also as an aside, that Jay Beagle contract is one of the worst pieces of front office work in the last ten years in the entire NHL.

um, wut? 

if he's done playing, he can take his bonus and retire and we can hire him as a coach. When he was healthy, he played his ass off for us. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

The Canucks can't fight it in court because the NHLPA signed off on recapture when signing the then new CBA.

Even if the NHLPA signs it, it adversly affects the Canucks which is a different entity. Wouldn't the canucks have the right to fight it? 

4 hours ago, MattJVD said:

Yeah Salo was out for the first half of the season and came back in January/February. The day Salo was activated, Edler was placed on LTIR and returned for game 1 of the playoffs (much like Kucherov this year).

Good memory. 

Yes so that kind of shenanigans along with Luongo's ridiculous contract was Gillis giving the league the big eff you with a smug smile. The league (not being so bright) didn't know how to respond so they sat there and watched the Canucks run to the finals. 

I do wonder if there was some bias in the finals to stick it to the Canucks like the Rome 4 game suspension and some of the ridiculous calls we saw. 

After they finished ensuring the Canucks weren't going to win the cup they looked and retroactively changed the rules and penalized the Canucks. 

It's really unfortunate we didn't win in 2011 and capitalize while the league was befuddled and stewing.... 

2 hours ago, TheCustodian said:

As noted numerous times, and now outlined in detail in Drance's latest article, the only buyouts that actually offer you cap savings are Virtanen and Holtby. The rest don't do a damn thing for the cap.

I'm still not convinced they'll buyout Holtby as that would be extremely against brand for this ownership and management group for numerous reasons. Virtanen is gone.

I am hesitant for Holtby too given a big chunk of those savings go to a lesser back-up at the cost of 1.9 M dead cap next year 

If Eriksson is sent to the minors I could see the owners pushing for a buyout to save cash (1M real dollars) still prefer sending him down cause he’s a prick if he doesn’t retire after he gets his 1M signing bonus.  In any real world job he’s be fired for not meeting his end of the deal

JV is the only low risk choice given he’s done here and not likely movable until his legal situation is sorted

On 5/25/2021 at 9:29 AM, aGENT said:

Yeah, I don't see the point in Holtby. By the time you buy him out and sign a new backup, either those 'savings' are largely gone and/or you've downgraded your backup (while adding that $1.9 the year following). No bueno.

If SEA doesn't take him (even with a bit of sweetener), he's our backup next year IMO.

Only reason I could see Eriksson is that it saves the owner cash, spreads it over two years and finally closes the book on that awful mess. Otherwise yup, have fun in Abbotsford.

Ditto likely Roussel (if he's not on IR).

Virtanen I'm thinking is just going to get voided (yes, yes... Innocent until...).

The ECHL isn't an option?

regards,  G.