The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aggressive offseason

Rate this topic

ShawnAntoski

2 minutes ago, tas said:

while I think we can all agree, especially in hindsight, that it wasn't the best option to try to retool and get back to the playoffs asap, I wouldn't change that even now. the organization owed it to the sedins. at that stage of their careers, it was really the only acceptable thing -- trading them or letting them go in free agency would have been a travesty that would have blighted the organization for eternity, and asking them to accept mediocrity and the fact that the team wouldn't be trying to compete would be like spitting in the faces of the two greatest players and people the team has ever had. 

What did the organization owe to the Sedins exactly?  

Why would trading them to a contender have been a travesty? What if it ended with the Sedins actually getting to raise the Cup as players before retiring? How would that have been a "blight" on the team? 

The Sedins ended their careers in Vancouver mired in mediocrity. The team was going nowhere and they spent their final seasons playing with a revolving carousel of linemates. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

For Jim Benning, an aggressing offseason means signing another bottom-6 with a 6X6.

I do not believe for a second that Benning will get creative and improve the team. 

• Sad 1
  • RoughGame 2

2 minutes ago, ey40 said:

For Jim Benning, an aggressing offseason means signing another bottom-6 with a 6X6.

I do not believe for a second that Benning will get creative and improve the team. 

Same, very worried about what he is going to do outside of the draft. 

2 minutes ago, ey40 said:

will probably re-sign sutter again for 3 mil and 3 years because of his foundational plays. Then Re-sign Edler for 4 million and 4 years for that Vet experience. The rest will go to Hughes and Pettersson. To show fans that he is creative, he will sign Highmore to a 3 million 3 year contract.

4 minutes ago, ey40 said:

Could involve a trade instead. The Miller trade was pretty solid, as was the one for Schmidt. I don't have much faith in Benning regarding FAs but he's improved on his trading acumen. 

2 minutes ago, awalk said:

Same, very worried about what he is going to do outside of the draft. 

I forsee another Myers type overpayment, 6×6 contract  to make sure we always have some cap problems long term:P

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Could involve a trade instead. The Miller trade was pretty solid, as was the one for Schmidt. I don't have much faith in Benning regarding FAs but he's improved on his trading acumen. 

I don't want Miller to be traded because who else do we have in the top 6?

26 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why would trading them to a contender have been a travesty? What if it ended with the Sedins actually getting to raise the Cup as players before retiring? How would that have been a "blight" on the team? 

The Sedins ended their careers in Vancouver mired in mediocrity. The team was going nowhere and they spent their final seasons playing with a revolving carousel of linemates. 

view it as a hardline pragmatist if you'd like, but the sedins wanted to stay and the sedins also wanted to try to compete. I feel like with what they had done for the franchise, what they meant and still mean to the fans and city, they deserved to call their shot. 

i don't think they would have enjoyed winning a cup with another team anymore than I would have enjoyed watching them do so. 

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Is it here we talk about greed?

FA made a lot of money of the Sedins fame. 

He had to milk it as long as he could... 

54 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

A very sensible thinking. 

The Sedins as a second/third line on a heavy team should almost always give them a cup. 

8 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

The Sedins as a second/third line on a heavy team should almost always give them a cup. 

and yet they had no interest. 

2 hours ago, ey40 said:

Ditto; and with Calgary - supposedly - shopping Monahan right after last years spending spree shows that the strategy doesn't guarantee anything; hopefully, it will be a warning to Aquaman & JB, when going on an offseason spending spree cause (imo) it is only an expensive band aid to cover up for any mismanagements and to appease the fans in the short term.

Very anxious about this offseason but nothing I can control cause I really taught - they were moving on from Green (based on his overall record) and the re signing means more of the same strategy with the added twist of a new cast - at what, cost ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

no pressure "Rathbone" - but you may be the key to our future.

why the future?   he's already 21.  he's in his prime.  the time is now.

I guess you your reading comprehension is down a little to day. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

view it as a hardline pragmatist if you'd like, but the sedins wanted to stay and the sedins also wanted to try to compete. I feel like with what they had done for the franchise, what they meant and still mean to the fans and city, they deserved to call their shot. 

i don't think they would have enjoyed winning a cup with another team anymore than I would have enjoyed watching them do so. 

I think they would have enjoyed winning a Cup quite a bit. They were dedicated to the city and all that, but if they could have been given a shot with a sure fire contender, they should have been given that option. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

They were still deadly players and could have flourished with an agile power forward. They’d paid their dues and taken their lumps more than enough. 

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I think they would have enjoyed winning a Cup quite a bit. They were dedicated to the city and all that, but if they could have been given a shot with a sure fire contender, they should have been given that option. 

you don't think they were given the option? 

it seemed obvious to me that they valued staying with the canucks for their entire careers more highly than winning a cup. 

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yeah, but this market seems to get attached to players and management knows this - so no chance, the twins are getting traded, even if the other team was offering McD.

Edited by ShawnAntoski