The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aggressive offseason

Rate this topic

I think that we need to be more aggressive during the season.

That and we need to be looking under all the rocks all the time (i.e. we need to draft well and spend wisely on FAs).

Go Canucks Go!

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sure 500k left over.   That's 2.0 million in cap space.   And sure the team will cancel if they are legally allowed to.   If not his buyout, compared to anyone else's, comes with the least consequence.   I'm not a fan of any other buyout including Holbtys.   A player has to come in and replace.   Podz IS JV's replacement, plus if he's good enough Hogs can switch to his natural LW spot. 

Unless DiPietro is ready to be a full time backup (I personally dont think he is after a year of not playing), I see no reason to buyout Holtby at this point. 

The upcoming year, despite what Benning says about being super aggressive to compete, should be considered a transition year. Dont add cap beyond this year unnecessarily including with buyouts imo.

Look to fill with trades of decent younger players from teams that will lose a good player in the expansion draft if they dont move them.

I really think giving Benning more time is a mistake. But now that they have, the owners need to give him the ability to be patient this upcoming year. Putting him on a hot seat from the start to be ultra competitive is going to force panic moves and shoot the team in the foot.

If you trust the guy to stay, let him do his &^@#ing job properly without being forced to panic to save it.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
22 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

There have not been many times in Canucks history where the fan base seemed actually willing to accept a true rebuild and still support the team.

There was a strong sense of support for it prior to Gillis getting fired and after Benning was hired though. Probably the most support I have seen in my time as a fan.

Benning clearly misjudged just how broken that core was after losing to the Bruins and getting trashed by LA and SJ in the subsequent years. Fan favorites and good, if declining players for sure. But the team core was broken.

I think ownership and Benning were both responsible for the band aid on a broken leg approach during the Sedins last few years. The last several years though have been similar quick fix type moves that have not panned out.

I am ok with Benning signing some vets to 1 year terms without trade protection. As long as he is realistic if it even looks like the team could miss the playoffs and sells off those players at the deadline.

This is not the time for him to panic sign a bunch of vets with term and ntc. 

Hmmm that's a pretty broad stroke statement.   How long have you followed this team anyways?   I know plenty that have since the start and went through that started at the beginning, or the 80's or the 90's and they all to the last one, supported the team through those phases.   A lot of first round exits during the time when 75% of the teams used to make the show.    To a tee anyone who i know at least still regard the Keenan/Messier era as the worst of the worst.   Because that team was just entering their prime.   And they blew it completely up.  Sure it ended up giving us the WCE era and Sedin teams but even so the cost was quite likely a cup or two.   No team we've ever had was as good as that one was on paper and likely ever will be.    If only Messier fell in line, took a different number out of respect for Maki and was our second line C and encouraged like a good leader for Bure to stay.   

We are mostly still here (except for the ones who have passed away).   The NHL isn't like it used to be.    No enforcers, very little hitting, (finishing a check is now a hit in the stats column), no redline sped thing up way more then how fast guys are today - and 32 teams with 50% out looking in.   Under the old format we'd have squeeked in a couple more times in the 80's under JB.   Three more times to be exact (including this year and Podz draft so three years in a row).   All of sudden doesn't look so bad does it.     

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Unless DiPietro is ready to be a full time backup (I personally dont think he is after a year of not playing), I see no reason to buyout Holtby at this point. 

The upcoming year, despite what Benning says about being super aggressive to compete, should be considered a transition year. Dont add cap beyond this year unnecessarily including with buyouts imo.

Look to fill with trades of decent younger players from teams that will lose a good player in the expansion draft if they dont move them.

I really think giving Benning more time is a mistake. But now that they have, the owners need to give him the ability to be patient this upcoming year. Putting him on a hot seat from the start to be ultra competitive is going to force panic moves and shoot the team in the foot.

If you trust the guy to stay, let him do his &^@#ing job properly without being forced to panic to save it.

Damn we agreed on something!  Your starting to grow on me Amigo. Except for JB getting one more year.  I'm fine with that.   Feel he's gone through enough with this franchise to get a chance to manage the team he's got his fingerprints all over ... at this point more then any other GM really if Edler is done. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 1
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Hmmm that's a pretty broad stroke statement.   How long have you followed this team anyways?   I know plenty that have since the start and went through that started at the beginning, or the 80's or the 90's and they all to the last one, supported the team through those phases.   A lot of first round exits during the time when 75% of the teams used to make the show.    To a tee anyone who i know at least still regard the Keenan/Messier era as the worst of the worst.   Because that team was just entering their prime.   And they blew it completely up.  Sure it ended up giving us the WCE era and Sedin teams but even so the cost was quite likely a cup or two.   No team we've ever had was as good as that one was on paper and likely ever will be.    If only Messier fell in line, took a different number out of respect for Maki and was our second line C and encouraged like a good leader for Bure to stay.        

That team would've eventually hit the roadblock Burke faced when he first was made GM of the club.  Reduce the payroll (in a time where there was no cap).  The former owners were bleeding money (re: NBA Grizzlies).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

That team would've eventually hit the roadblock Burke faced when he first was made GM of the club.  Reduce the payroll (in a time where there was no cap).  The former owners were bleeding money (re: NBA Grizzlies).

They did before Burke came in.  Why Orca is on the uniform now. 

Edit:  Also as a segway, Burke was Quins right hand man for many years ... JB has a ways to go before he becomes the longest serving Canucks executive all-time. 

Edited by IBatch
9 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

What do we do if Seattle takes Holtby?  Demko looks to be a solid number one, and he’s getting the big bucks to be that guy too.  Maybe Dipietro can be a legit backup?  He might have to be.  

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We are mostly still here (except for the ones who have passed away).   The NHL isn't like it used to be.    No enforcers, very little hitting, (finishing a check is now a hit in the stats column), no redline sped thing up way more then how fast guys are today - and 32 teams with 50% out looking in.   Under the old format we'd have squeeked in a couple more times in the 80's under JB.   Three more times to be exact (including this year and Podz draft so three years in a row).   All of sudden doesn't look so bad does it.     

I consider 1979 to be the first year i followed the team where i was old enough to actually be a fan.

A lot of fans supported the team through previous eras. But there was a lot more risk financially to the team in the past. To the point where they could not risk a true rebuild at various times even though it was probably a better solution.

The Keenan/Messier era will never be surpassed as the worst in franchise history to me. Even though it did set the stage for future successful eras when you look back. It was just such a negative environment. And the team they dismantled had that "It factor" to it that i still think would have led to a cup in the next few years had they not torpedoed it.

Edit: a lot of it was financially motivated too though. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Alflives said:

What do we do if Seattle takes Holtby?  Demko looks to be a solid number one, and he’s getting the big bucks to be that guy too.  Maybe Dipietro can be a legit backup?  He might have to be.  

If they take Holtby we should send them x-mas cards probably.   We can find a decent back-up for 2-3 ...

• Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

They did before Burke came in.  Why Orca is on the uniform now. 

Edit:  Also as a segway, Burke was Quins right hand man for many years ... JB has a ways to go before he becomes the longest serving Canucks executive all-time. 

And that policy continued under Burke (cut salaries).  It made the job of GM far more difficult; magnifying any errors (which all GMs make). 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Seattle takes Holtby I still think we need to find a veteran backup on a cheap one year deal.

I would not be completely opposed to going with DiPietro there but I really think he needs a year of lots of starts in Abbotsford.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If they take Holtby we should send them x-mas cards probably.   We can find a decent back-up for 2-3 ...

A worse backup + depth D making a few million (heck, maybe Edler would be willing to end his career as a Canuck for a cheap contract) is far better than Holtby imho.

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Damn we agreed on something!  Your starting to grow on me Amigo. Except for JB getting one more year.  I'm fine with that.   Feel he's gone through enough with this franchise to get a chance to manage the team he's got his fingerprints all over ... at this point more then any other GM really if Edler is done. 

Fair enough. 

I am at the point now where Benning being back is happening so now my focus will be on hoping he does a good job.

I will still voice my criticism if moves I dont like are made. But I genuinely hope he is allowed to methodically approach the moves he makes this offseason with an eye on setting things up for the next offseason.

31 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Fair enough. 

I am at the point now where Benning being back is happening so now my focus will be on hoping he does a good job.

I will still voice my criticism if moves I dont like are made. But I genuinely hope he is allowed to methodically approach the moves he makes this offseason with an eye on setting things up for the next offseason.

Yup voice your criticism when hindsight kicks in and everyone's a genius. I tell my wife everytime the lotto numbers are announced that I should of bought a ticket cause I was gonna pick those numbers. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Patrik Laine said:

Yup voice your criticism when hindsight kicks in and everyone's a genius. I tell my wife everytime the lotto numbers are announced that I should of bought a ticket cause I was gonna pick those numbers. 

I generally voice my criticism at the time. Sometimes I end up wrong and sometimes I end up right.

But my main criticisms of Benning usually dont require any hindsight really. I think they are bad moves at the time. Or they center around the decision making processes he uses and where I see the risk in what he might do based on them going forward.

4 minutes ago, Patrik Laine said:

Reread what he said. He’s pretty much taking a neutral approach, hoping JB works out yet willing to express criticism if he doesn’t like the moves made which any fan has a right to do.  

What you said doesn’t really apply to what he was saying. 

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

you're setting yourself up for disappointment. 

The blues suck since winning the cup. Giving binnington all that money was laughable at that one hit wonder. I really doubt it from the blues end, But i'd like to look at something around miller and O'reilly. Have EP move to the wing. Him and horvat as your 1/2 lmao 100% faceoffs