The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aggressive offseason

Rate this topic

ShawnAntoski

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Ideally I’d like to go one more year of not spending. Said it many times but fans are restless and don’t think that’s going to happen. The Loui buyout doesn’t save us a ton of cap this year but frees up some so that buyout itself isn’t going to allow for a big signing. Just a way to get him outta here, barely hurts us next year and frees up a bit this year 

I dont think its the fans who are restless. Its ownership and Benning. Most fans i talk to would rather he not use up his cap space like he has previously on band aid solutions.

He should use it on trying to take advantage of teams teying to not lose younger guys for nothing in the expansion draft. Sign only 1 year cheap vets and dont give the ntc. If the season goes sideways, sell them at the deadline to restock the cupboards and cap space for next offseason.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

Yep.

Take a look at the Pacific Division.  Who's the competition?

EDM 

CAL 

VAN

SEA

LA

SJ

ANA

AZ

At worst, we'd be 4th on that list.

Yeah the team as it is now can be 3rd or 4th in the division depending on how good Seattle turns out. 

The wildcard I see among them is probably LA.

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

The division should be one of the weaker ones anyways. Get in the playoffs anything can happen. Look at the bubble, that was so fun!

It really comes down to Seattle and how well we do against the central teams.   Vegas is a lock.   EDM close to a lock, they were unlucky against WNP more then anything.    CAL is way better then what they did on paper.    Seattle...man i hope they suck but doubt they will.   

LA is also a dark horse.  Blake had the foresight to trade very solid blue chippers to give their team a chance to get to the post season with their main cup core.    Don't count them out. 

SJ lol... they are f!cked.  Have to do it next year and see them going through excactly what we did.  EK anchor is what the Sedins were to us kind of. 

ANA.  Gibson is a top ten goalie.  Trade him already and get to full tank.   For sure last in the division. 

Canucks.   We are better the SJ and ANA for sure.   CAL?  Yes think so too.  They are the PHI of the west.    Should be better then they are, and their core is getting stale despite some young players.   Won't blow it up but might have too.  

Figure we could go anywhere from 2-6th.  2nd if EP breaks out and Demko is bubble Demko the entire season.    Also feel 4-6 is more likely.   

• Vintage 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

I dont think its the fans who are restless. Its ownership and Benning. Most fans i talk to would rather he not use up his cap space like he has previously on band aid solutions.

He should use it on trying to take advantage of teams teying to not lose younger guys for nothing in the expansion draft. Sign only 1 year cheap vets and dont give the ntc. If the season goes sideways, sell them at the deadline to restock the cupboards and cap space for next offseason.

I don’t disagree with that. The fans that are restless are your regular Joe’s so to speak. Anyone with a bit of knowledge and understanding of having a young core and finishing a rebuild or what ever you want to call it can see the cap space in 2022 and a more experienced crew. Hope Jim can walk the fine line here of improving the team and eyes on.next off-season. I was totally fine with riding out this season as another year of development and as noted I think we can still get in the playoffs. We will see what happens 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I don’t disagree with that. The fans that are restless are your regular Joe’s so to speak. Anyone with a bit of knowledge and understanding of having a young core and finishing a rebuild or what ever you want to call it can see the cap space in 2022 and a more experienced crew. Hope Jim can walk the fine line here of improving the team and eyes on.next off-season. I was totally fine with riding out this season as another year of development and as noted I think we can still get in the playoffs. We will see what happens 

Thats kind of how I see things. This year should not be all in. 

You know I dont agree with bringing Benning back but now that he is I think its incredibly important that he not be put in a hotseat "playoffs or your job" position. They trusted him to keep him. Let him be patient with a targeted aggression plan, not a panic scenario.

Making the playoffs will be great but I feel Benning could make moves to be competitive this year (trading for players likely to be lost in the ed, 1 year cheap ufa signings, etc) while simulateneously looking at next offseason as his real opportunity to load up. He shouldnt be spending long term money this summer imo.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It really comes down to Seattle and how well we do against the central teams.   Vegas is a lock.   EDM close to a lock, they were unlucky against WNP more then anything.    CAL is way better then what they did on paper.    Seattle...man i hope they suck but doubt they will.   

LA is also a dark horse.  Blake had the foresight to trade very solid blue chippers to give their team a chance to get to the post season with their main cup core.    Don't count them out. 

SJ lol... they are f!cked.  Have to do it next year and see them going through excactly what we did.  EK anchor is what the Sedins were to us kind of. 

ANA.  Gibson is a top ten goalie.  Trade him already and get to full tank.   For sure last in the division. 

Canucks.   We are better the SJ and ANA for sure.   CAL?  Yes think so too.  They are the PHI of the west.    Should be better then they are, and their core is getting stale despite some young players.   Won't blow it up but might have too.  

Figure we could go anywhere from 2-6th.  2nd if EP breaks out and Demko is bubble Demko the entire season.    Also feel 4-6 is more likely.   

Agree with pretty much everything here. LA has a really good team brewing. They may surprise but it could go the other way for a couple more years. San Jose is completely screwed for a long time. Anaheim need to bite the bullet but they can keep doing what they are doing by all means lol. Not worried about Calgary either. I can see them looking like a Anaheim team, not sure what or who they are. Calgary could probably be fixed with some crafty GMing but they could be rebuilding soon too. Seattle I have no expectations for could be good, could be bad. Hopefully Vegas was an anomaly.

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Thats kind of how I see things. This year should not be all in. 

You know I dont agree with bringing Benning back but now that he is I think its incredibly important that he not be put in a hotseat "playoffs or your job" position. They trusted him to keep him. Let him be patient with a targeted aggression plan, not a panic scenario.

Making the playoffs will be great but I feel Benning could make moves to be competitive this year (trading for players likely to be lost in the ed, 1 year cheap ufa signings, etc) while simulateneously looking at next offseason as his real opportunity to load up. He shouldnt be spending long term money this summer imo.

Worst case is that Benning can be replaced for a GM who COULD make a push with the strong core of prospects (including all the roster players that Benning was responsible for) that Benning has built up. But I agree. We should not be selling off futures for a hypothetical playoff 'push'.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

If there are ufa deals like last offseason because of a flat cap, it would make sense to be "aggressive", but Benning has to be willing to come in second and third place on these bids.  They would have to be deals better than the Pearson contract.  Seattle is going to have money to burn and each team will loose some roster money and that will likely be enough to bring up the cost on UFA's this offseason.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

It's been seven years, how much of a 'long-game' are we talking here?  

If you look at the history of rebuilding teams, you're looking at +/-10 years between consistent playoff teams. And that's if things go well.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

21 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Jim is in a no win situation here.

Do nothing and let the bad contract run out will have the fanbase up in arms over 2 playoffs in 8 years.

Be aggressive and have the fanbase up in arms about mortgaging the future, cap space, no plan, asset management, etc. 

Unless the team wins the cup, not even a conference final will satisfy a good portion of the fanbase with complaints of one and done.

Benning put himself in that position unfortunately. Ok Covid and Luongo was out of his hands (though I would argue he could have done something with the last one)

But those bad contacts finally caught up with him and the team and would have done so even without Covid and Lungo's retirement. Though it did accelerate it.

I get that he had to do what ownership wanted but everyone has a boss. It was still up to Benning how to execute the mandate from Ownership. I doubt Ownership directly tell Benning go sign Eriksson, trade for Sutter and extend him and so on. 

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If you look at the history of rebuilding teams, you're looking at +/-10 years between consistent playoff teams. And that's if things go well.

Honestly I think The Rangers (who actually have more points than Montreal actually) are quite close being a playoff team after only 3 years of Rebuilding. 

Joe Sakic has been the GM for the Avs as long as Benning has for Vancouver and look how far apart the two teams are 

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Honestly I think The Rangers (who actually have more points than Montreal actually) are quite close being a playoff team after only 3 years of Rebuilding. 

Joe Sakic has been the GM for the Avs as long as Benning has for Vancouver and look how far apart the two teams are 

Avs were rebuilding before Sakic arrived 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Yeah don't sleep on LA. They finsihed almost as high as Vancouver, and probably higher if Calgary just tried to win their games. Plus they did ok considering they are in the same Division as Colorado and Vegas and the cup champions 2 seasons ago.

Gabe Villardi looks like the real deal and Quinton Byfield is going to be a stud 

They may not make it to the playoffs in the next couple of years but don't think Vancouver can just pluck points away from them either 

Edited by iinatcc

Not remotely comparable.

How many years between consistent playoffs?

You're laughingly move goal posts, to suit a biased narrative, to suggest they weren't rebuilding prior to Sakic.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I was thinking more about just cap clearance. Trading Woo up for Cernak would be great. I'd think the "+" is our 2nd. 

Further to that, I hope we have a bunch of dealings with Tampa lol

Add something like Ferland for Palat to Woo for Cernak and we're well on our way IMO. 

*Fingers crossed*

• Cheers 1

Weren't the Avs the Central Division champs before Sakic took over ? If anything the rebuild or retool probably started right after 

They went for a more traditional rebuild yes but there were partially rebuilding for years before that. Much like how the Canucks have started more of a traditional rebuild after the Sedins retired. Canucks placed second in their division in 2015 so I don’t understand your point 

12 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Not a good comparison using the Avs. They started their rebuild 10 years ago and finally as in the last 2 years they are seeing the rewards. We are on exact same timeline as the Avs even with the mess Benning inherited and some bad contracts he compiled during his tenure. Don’t worry be happy we are on the rise. :towel:

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not remotely comparable.

How many years between consistent playoffs?

You're laughingly move goal posts, to suit a biased narrative, to suggest they weren't rebuilding prior to Sakic.

Ok fair enough on the Avs but let's say they started rebuilding 2011 when they drafted Landeskog. In 3 years they won their division and bounced in 7 games in the 1st round and took a 3 year dip before being on the rise again. 

People compare that year they won their division to the Canucks year in the bubble. Except it took the Avs 3 years to get to that point and Vancouver took 6. 

So whoever the GM is for the Avs whatever they are doing their have progressed a much faster pace than Vancouver