The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Canucks and Sabres - Pettersson and 2021 1st for Reinhart and Dahlin

Why the Sabres do it:

-Culture change

-New franchise center if Eichel leaves OR convincing Eichel to stay with Pettersson’s arrival 

-Sabres get a high 1st round pick to aid them in their rebuilding process.

Why the Canucks do it:

-Although Sam Reinhart is a clear downgrade from Elias Pettersson, he’s not as much as you might think.  Reinhart produces solid offense and also plays a solid two way game. More importantly, Reinhart’s cap hit will be much lower than whatever EP will earn in the future (this coming contract and beyond).  Furthermore, Reinhart is a homo grown BC boy and would likely be extremely to whatever it took to stay here upon becoming a UFA.

-The Canucks get their long term Edler replacement in Dahlin.  Although Dahlin has struggled in Buffalo, he still has the pedigree and makings to be a two way all-star  defenseman that can log big minutes and take on tough defensive assignments.  IF the Canucks can have both Dahlin and Hughes here long term, and both guys maximize their potential, then the Canucks will have one of the best defensive cores for years to come.  For the short term, Dahlin would still remain a cost controlled asset and will likely need another cap friendly bridge deal for a few more years.

Miller-Reinhart-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

Hoglander-####-####
Motte-Graovich-Highmore

Dahlin-Schmidt 

Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

-With more freed up cap space, perhaps the Canucks can take a run at someone like Alex Wenneberg or Andreas Athanasiou for the 3rd line C spot.  Alternatively, the Canucks could use someone like Jack Rathbone to trade for a good young 3rd line center that plays a strong two way game and has decent playmaking abilities.

-A year later, the Canucks will have far more options when Beagle, Eriksson, and Roussel all come off the books.

• Sad 1
  • RoughGame 11

7 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I’ll have to admit that I cringed when I hit the submit button on this, lol.

lol yeah, I think the rule of thumb is you should think twice before hitting the submit button if your proposal includes Petey or Hughes going the other way.

A hard pass on this one.

Every team needs a game breaker. Petey is way too valuable to give up. 

We all saw what Petey can do in the playoffs. If Petey were like McDavid, who is a liability in the dzone and disappears (relative to regular season) in the offensive zone, then I'd consider it though :bigblush:

People need to separate the "Generational" draft hype from Dahlin from the player he is today.  Think half of Hughes Offensive ability, with less defensive ability.  

I'm not sure if I'd give up EP for Reinhart, Dahlin, and their 1st.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Why the Sabres do it:

-Culture change

-New franchise center if Eichel leaves OR convincing Eichel to stay with Pettersson’s arrival 

-Sabres get a high 1st round pick to aid them in their rebuilding process.

Why the Canucks do it:

-Although Sam Reinhart is a clear downgrade from Elias Pettersson, he’s not as much as you might think.  Reinhart produces solid offense and also plays a solid two way game. More importantly, Reinhart’s cap hit will be much lower than whatever EP will earn in the future (this coming contract and beyond).  Furthermore, Reinhart is a homo grown BC boy and would likely be extremely to whatever it took to stay here upon becoming a UFA.

-The Canucks get their long term Edler replacement in Dahlin.  Although Dahlin has struggled in Buffalo, he still has the pedigree and makings to be a two way all-star  defenseman that can log big minutes and take on tough defensive assignments.  IF the Canucks can have both Dahlin and Hughes here long term, and both guys maximize their potential, then the Canucks will have one of the best defensive cores for years to come.  For the short term, Dahlin would still remain a cost controlled asset and will likely need another cap friendly bridge deal for a few more years.

Miller-Reinhart-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

Hoglander-####-####
Motte-Graovich-Highmore

Dahlin-Schmidt 

Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

-With more freed up cap space, perhaps the Canucks can take a run at someone like Alex Wenneberg or Andreas Athanasiou for the 3rd line C spot.  Alternatively, the Canucks could use someone like Jack Rathbone to trade for a good young 3rd line center that plays a strong two way game and has decent playmaking abilities.

-A year later, the Canucks will have far more options when Beagle, Eriksson, and Roussel all come off the books.

I don't think you're serious. 

I love EP, and I love me some Tryamkin, so would love both to be core members of the Canucks for years to come, but it probably won't happen with Try, and we don't know the future with EP.  But ok, just for the sake of discussion, I'll date myself by putting on my Ron Caron hat and "professoring up" a trade that would be talked about for years to come:  Rights to Tryamkin/Virtanen/EP/1st this year/2nd next year for Eichel/Reinhart/Dahlin.  Would Buffalo do this ... I think they might.  EP is similar to Eichel in value going forward and better value as well in the short term, and add n a 2nd for the sake of appearances, and then the rest can be argued to even out depending on how high that 1st is.  Would Vancouver do this ... 1 valuable roster asset, 1 semi-useful one, one asset that may never play for the team and one that is a crap-shoot versus 3 known and valued roster assets.  I think it could work, but buyouts would need to happen.  Flame away!  

4 minutes ago, PuckFather said:

I don't think you're serious. 

If you look at it without context, then the proposal is pretty lobsided in Buffalo’s favor, but the short term cap benefits + the potential huge long term on defense could set us up for an even bigger future.  

1) Reinhart is a downgrade from EP, but are they world’s apart?

2) If Dahlin ever lives up to the hype, does the presence of both Dahlin and Hughes set up our defense for the next 10+ years?   

2 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

If you look at it without context, then the proposal is pretty lobsided in Buffalo’s favor, but the short term cap benefits + the potential huge long term on defense could set us up for an even bigger future.  

1) Reinhart is a downgrade from EP, but are they world’s apart?

2) If Dahlin ever lives up to the hype, does the presence of both Dahlin and Hughes set up our defense for the next 10+ years?   

1) Yes, Reinhart and EP are lightyears apart.  One is a 25YO 55 point C who is probably in the heart of his prime, the other is a PPG 22 YO centre with huge upside.  

2) Dahlin has proven to be nothing but hype as of yet.  So far he is a 40 point D man who is disastrous in his own end.  He regressed massively this season.  

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

I wouldn't do this.  With that said, I'm led to believe the Canucks are looking at a package like this, although something more around a C.

EP has indicated he has no intention of seeing out the rest of his career here.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

I wouldn't do this.  With that said, I'm led to believe the Canucks are looking at a package like this, although something more around a C.

EP has indicated he has no intention of seeing out the rest of his career here.

Lmao yeah sure pal

• Haha 1